Posted: Mar 19, 2015 @ 4:11am

Despite many negative reviews from critics, and despite some flaws, for the most part I enjoyed this game and thought it was solid. The story takes place in a gritty, dystopian, almost post-apoc setting and spans 3 chapters. There are a lot of sidequests and character interactions, and the game tends to alternate between big open areas and linear levels, which in my opinion provided a nice change pace.

Perhaps what I liked the most was the levelling and the combat. The fighting was incredibly fun, a little awkward at first, but easy to get used to. And the customization of your weapon and armour is great. You get to find various tools and crafting parts that you can use on your gear to give it additional bonuses of your choice. The levelling had 3 different mastery trees - combat, renegade (support abilities like healing and stealth), and technomancy (electrical powers). The levelling happened very frequently, which was great too, since you didn't have to wait for ages to get to the skills you've had your eyes on.

The story and setting are pretty interesting. I personally found chapters 1 and 2 to be brilliant, but chapter 3 fell flat on its face. It almost felt as though the game was rushed at the end. What was most interesting perhaps is how at the end of chapter 2 you get a choice of split paths to join one of the 2 factions, which changes some things in chapter 3, but ultimately you end up visiting the exact same locations regardless of which faction you go with. The premise of split paths for the final chapter is fantastic, but the execution resulted in a diluted experience. Going with the Resistance at least was a half-decent attempt at a conclusion that presented some more moral choices down the line. But going with the general felt like it was added into the game at the very last minute just for the sake of having this split path feature.

The game also had 3 romance options in it, but this too felt rather lacking and devoid of much dialogue. A few other NPCs felt like they should've gotten more screen time than they actually did, like the bounty hunter friend of the main character. But apart from that, most characters were rather interesting.

Overall I'd recommend this game. It's a decent sci-fi cyberpunk RPG and I was immersed for the duration of playing it, even going as far as trying out both story paths for its somewhat disappointing conclusion.
Whiteswart Sep 4, 2015 @ 1:51am
yeah, thank you!
White Shadow Sep 4, 2015 @ 1:39am
Hiya. Admittedly, I think I simply used the wrong word in this review. I'd say it's more of a post-apocalyptic, dystopian sci-fi, rather than cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is usually more of a setting that's very similar to the modern world except with high tech such as robots and energy weapons, and low standards of living, usually with a wide gap between the rich and the poor.
Whiteswart Sep 4, 2015 @ 12:16am
Pray, tell me: what is cyberpunk for you? As a definition?