Posted: Apr 25, 2015 @ 7:53am

I was charmed to try the game by its unique art style that resembles Ancient Greek vase decorations, and I was glad to have tried the game. It's not just an artsy indie game, and the more you play, the better it gets.

The game takes place almost entirely on Mt Olympus, and has you visit different areas. There are 2 main hub locations (Agora and Acropolis), and each one contains doorways to a number of other areas. Some of these areas belong to a specific deity, whilst others are just bonus locations. Most of the game's story involves you simply undertaking tasks for each Olympian deity and eventually confronting them one way or another.

This is not just a simple 2D platformer. The game has quite an open world and really knows how to reward exploration. There are tonnes of optional areas and hidden secrets, and a huge variety of weapons to collect, many of which are uniques. There's always some delicious surprise around a corner or behind a breakable wall. The gameplay is very reminiscent of the Metroid style games, so if you've ever enjoyed those, you should have a fun time with Apotheon as well.

Despite the enormous amount of fun I've had, I've also come across a lot of frustration, which was somewhat disappointing. As some people already pointed out, the combat, although fun and enjoyable, can be a bit tricky and awkward at times, because you have to time your swings really well. Not much of a problem most of the time, but it can be a nightmare when fighting fast moving enemies that either jump at you or fly around.

There were some parts of the game where frustration came mostly from controls, such as trying to quickly outclimb the fast-rising flames of river Phlegethon, but most times it was in the boss fights. Although some bosses were a fun challenge, a fair few were frustrating beyond belief and involved mechanics which did not make much sense, like Diomedes being completely invulnerable unless you've thrown a jar of blood at him to stun him, or Zeus somehow being weak to his own lightning bolts, but managing to shrug off blades, clubs, and fire like they were nothing.

Still, despite the frustrating sections, I've had a very fun playthrough. The music is also really fantastic and fits the areas perfectly. The most noteworthy one being the eerie track that plays in Hades. So for the most part, this is a really memorable and unique game. I would highly recommend you check it out if you've ever at least remotely enjoyed 2D platformers and sidescrollers.