Posted: Dec 19, 2013 @ 8:18pm
Updated: Mar 25 @ 12:41pm

Disney's Pocahontas With An M-Rating

The ending is enough to justify a negative review but I'll go more in depth...

It's a Taken/Pocahontas story we've heard before: bunch of bored, spoiled, rich, white kids travel to a deserted island where they get jumped by Spanish-speaking pirates and are held for ransom. One of them runs away (the player) and the story somehow turns into a heroic epic to save Pocahontas, her people, and the friends the player character is slowly caring less and less about. Pocahontas and her people grant him powers that they possess but can't use the way he does (or at all) because he's American and they're incompetent and he's special and blah blah blah. Then it turns out, the people who've been helping you are actually evil all along. Wow, plot twist!

This may just be me but the constant notifications bugged me. A lot. The game doesn't stop pestering you until you check every notification even though you've been notified of the same thing a billion times before that. I know I got a relic, game. I chose to pick it up! I know I can craft a medical syringe; that's why I got the green leaves to begin with! Hell, this game notified me so much that, after the first 15 minutes, I already knew how to craft all of the basic pouches and syringes. If I needed to remember, I could just look in the menu. I don't need constant notifications pestering me.

It's a simpler version of Assassin's Creed mechanics in FPS mode. Don't get me wrong, the developers should be able to recycle their mechanics—it's their game. The gameplay was entertaining and the graphics were absolutely breathtaking but there were still too many similarities between Ezio's game and FC3 that I couldn't keep separate. Liberating Borgia towers outposts, climbing to the highest point and synchronizing getting radio towers working, and doing the Leap of Faith ziplining down became a tedious chore after the 3rd time. I found it more fun to attempt a Leap of Faith and send Jason Brody awkwardly stumbling down the tower to his untimely death. "Stealthing", or more accurately crouching right under your enemy's noses (sometimes literally) and hobbling about, is a joke that made me laugh several times. I'm sure that was unintentional.

The story felt as uninspired as the protagonist—who is the most boring player character I've ever had the misfortune of controlling. In Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft made me want to do the mini-missions and care about the people just as much as the awesome main missions we chose to do. Whereas in FC3, I tended to skip every single mini-mission because I just couldn't care. Sometimes the main missions were just as mind-numbing as the side missions. As someone else said, the game felt more linear because it forced me to go certain directions and do certain things rather than being the promised open world it should have been. I'd get notifications throughout the game saying that if I stepped out of indistinguishable bounds, I'd forfeit a mission I didn't even know I accepted. With some near-identical mechanics, I couldn't help but constantly think about how much I missed playing Assassin's Creed, especially with its superior storytelling and better sandbox gameplay.

Last but not least, cultural appropriation[swanblood.tumblr.com] + antiblackness[en.wikipedia.org] + noble savages[en.wikipedia.org] trope = not cool. The cultural inaccuracies were played out and the racial fetishism made everything feel skeevy. Maori people and Pakatan Rakyat leaders would not be happy to see the defiling of their history, culture, and traditions. Not cool, Ubisoft.

TLDR: This game's an unoriginal, hot mess that stinks like moist butts basking in fresh, warm urine with gameplay that reminds me too much of Assassin's Creed. They had so much originality with Assassin's Creed that they failed to do the same with the latest Far Cry entry. Even more debilitating is Ubisoft's blatant disrespect for indigenous people and black people. You might as well watch an episode of Rugrats where they dress up in racist tribal regalia because you'd be getting the same disgusting result. Skip this and play Blood Dragon instead.

2/10
Athiuk Aug 27, 2014 @ 5:32am
its comon in american movie for someone close of the protagonist to get killed within the first 20 minute of the movie (lover, brother, best friend) they even went out of they're way to give you guys a silly american action movie theme !!
don't worry they'll probably take a few slap and go back to earth someday when they miss a step becuze they are too buzy basking in the so called glory they're stupid linear poop games gave hem
Junebug Feb 18, 2014 @ 9:57pm
Yeah, about halfway through, they turned "Pocahontas" into a bad guy. I left it out to keep spoilers out but you can read the full review. The game didn't need "quaint tribal customs" to depict that killing is bad and that it could lead a person down a path to self-destruction. If they wanted to do that, they can take a cue from Spec Ops: The Line and set it in a jungle without using overplayed and offensive stereotypes.
ebrainer1 Feb 18, 2014 @ 9:11pm
Your comparison to pocahontas is absolutely untrue. The game quite clearly portrays the jungle as turning people into bloodthirsty maniacs, not magical warriors in tune with nature. Your "pocahantas" is a cult-leading nazi who drugs her followers. The protagonist does not sample the local culture and gain an appreciation for it, he is forced into partnership with people who are quite clearly cuckoo themselves, and certainly not noble. It is meant to depict the effect killing has on a person, whether you get addicted to it or your retain your humanity, not adopting quaint tribal customs.
Buttercup Jan 2, 2014 @ 12:34am
Yeah I agree, and I got bored of Far Cry 3 pretty quickly. I couldn't even go on playing after the part where they're in the car shooting the "bad guys" with a grenade launcher and the main character is having the time of his life murdering people.
Junebug Jan 2, 2014 @ 12:18am
True; most games try to improve upon or mimic mechanics of others which isn't such a bad thing but FC3 was a near identical copy. Sorta like Forsaken World being a direct copy of World of Warcraft.
Buttercup Jan 2, 2014 @ 12:08am
I love Assassin's Creed, and while I agree Far Cry 3 reminds us of it, Assassin's Creed is just a better of copy of Prince of Persia (in terms of game mechanics).
LemonLime Dec 20, 2013 @ 4:07am
You forgot to mention how bland the protaganist's character is and how they killed off his infinitely more fit to be a Far Cry protaganist brother in the first 15 minutes of the game.