Posted: Jul 13, 2014 @ 2:14pm
Updated: Jul 15, 2014 @ 2:00pm

Aperture Tag is a surprising and fresh revival of Portal 2’s familiar puzzle elements. While its puzzles occasionally require twitch movement, the game is still very focused on thinking through layered conundrums. The level design does an excellent job of teaching all the new paint gun skills while making sure to showcase death-defying thrills in the solutions.

The intro and climax moments of the story really show off the effort that went into the game and make it feel complete. There were several times when I was confused by the plot, but the funny moments and conclusion really shine through as big wins. Toward the end, the game introduces a new test chamber theme (that I won’t spoil) and it’s so good that I feel stupid for never thinking to include it in Portal 2. The music also stands out as natural extension of Portal’s themes with great flavor of its own. This is one of those games that could be worth it for the soundtrack alone.

The game is fairly short (which I like), but still longer than I expected. While it piggy-backs on the Aperture world and mechanics, it doesn’t get bogged down in referencing old jokes. It can stand on its own, but at the same time will be more enjoyable if you play Portal 2 first. If you’re a fan of Portal’s gameplay, these test chambers have some great twists and won’t let you down.
JorisCeoen (GamingReviews)  [developer] Jul 17, 2014 @ 8:01am
This is really a thoughtful review :) Thanks a lot!
ansonh92 Jul 16, 2014 @ 10:09pm
I am kind of sad that 61 people decided to hate your review even though you are part of Portal dev team and like this mod.
Harry101UK  [developer] Jul 15, 2014 @ 2:10pm
Thank you for the review Jeep! I'm glad you liked the soundtrack too! Much appreciated. ^_^
crackeoler Jul 15, 2014 @ 2:07pm
No Portals Where Used In The Making Of This Game :)
Jon Jul 15, 2014 @ 11:20am
This is the only genuinely helpful review I've found so far. Thanks.
... Jul 15, 2014 @ 12:58am
this is one heck of a review - so cool to see one of the P2 devs recommending this mod so highly. Makes me excited to play it.
Gideon Jul 14, 2014 @ 12:33pm
Thanks for the review. The gels were one of my favorite additions from Portal 2 (besides Stephen Merchant of course) so I'm really looking forward to this.