Recent reviews by BlaXpirit

< 1  2  3  4  5  6 >
I see some potential in the level design so far, but unfortunately I was unable to pass even level 2. A turnstile rotating against the direction of your movement? What? Somehow I managed to push through one of them, but not two in a row.

The ball has huge inertia, sucking any enjoyment out of the game, if there was any to be had in the first place, because the game is barely playable with all its bugs. The main menu breaks whenever you use the mouse. Steam integration is broken. Audio screams so loudly without any ability to change it. Controller support is hit and miss, the worst part being a ridiculously huge sensitivity on camera turning. Double jump sometimes becomes unlimited.

Graphics are OK, sound is quite annoying. Not that this matters...

★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Posted December 24, 2016. Last edited December 24, 2016.
The most polished Zachtronics game to date, combining the best elements of their previous games. It provides the enjoyment that a programmer feels when creating something, in concentrated form.

It is really accessible, and the difficulty is relatively low; you don't have to be a programmer to play. The experienced programmers shouldn't worry either, because for them the real gameplay is optimizing their solutions, and the hardcore extra puzzles are also there.

The balance is just right also in the set of available commands. They are low-level, but powerful enough that you still think in terms of the actual problem, not just the convoluted ways to get any use out of them (looking at you, TIS-100)

The optimization part will be familiar to players of other Zachtronics games, and it's the most fun it has ever been. The good old histograms allow you to see how your solution compares to others, and you can directly compete with your friends, maybe even exchange hints...
There are 3 separate categories to optimize for, making each puzzle replayable almost indefinitely. Oh those tasty hacks to save one line of code... unrolling loops to save some power... or perhaps rethinking your solution to use cheaper components...

The realistic design, interesting story, good soundtrack are also worth mentioning.

★★★★★★★★★★
Posted November 17, 2016. Last edited November 17, 2016.
A unique experience certainly worth your time and money.
Just get to the edge of the screen by any means, in an ever-changing world of moving walls.

This reaffirms my trust in Walter Machado as a game designer.

★★★★★★★★☆☆
Posted October 21, 2016.
Holy♥♥♥♥♥♥ they managed to make it even worse. Almost every wall is deadly now. Physics is even buggier (and I thought that was impossible). Rotating in place (near a wall) can kill you.

I know it's subjective, but even the music is worse, indistinct

★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Posted August 9, 2016. Last edited August 9, 2016.
A bland puzzle game that keeps adding concepts for the sake of it, without thoroughly exploring the previous ones.

The difficulty stems from complexity and the huge size of the solution space. The "aha! moments" are very rare.

I hoped the game would feel similar to programming, but the problem is that everything depends strongly on the order of actions; one can place the colored blocks in any place and at any time after the level is started, and you also manually control each bot separately (hence the remark about solution space)

★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆
Posted July 27, 2016. Last edited July 27, 2016.
This is a difficult top-down ball-rolling arcade game.

I really like how in the main levels you can either carefully tread each step or learn the course and run through like crazy... the latter usually being easier because at higher velocity it's physically harder to fall off. And you get to complete the speedrun challenges.

And then there is a randomized endless mode where you have to be careful, but still quick enough not to get left behind on an expired ground tile.

I do have to warn that simple 4-directional input (arrow keys) is definitely not good enough. I used a thumbstick (gamepad). And that's all the controls you need. The physics feel much nicer than in other ball-rolling games.

Another warning is needed: the initial learning curve may seem insurmountable, but it gets easier afterwards.

Graphics are great: shiny untextured triangles are very pleasing to see.
Has a great selection of fittingly frantic electronic music.

★★★★★★★★☆☆
Posted July 16, 2016.
This is a simple platformer with just a double jump, focused mostly on precise (sometimes pixel-perfect) movement. But it managed to show that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I like that the height of the jump can't be controlled (like it usually is by holding the button longer); there are surprisingly many small moments where you really have to think how to utilize such jumps.

The retro aesthetics are quite nice but I turned off the effects for better competitive play. Music and sounds are good.

★★★★★★★☆☆☆
Posted July 16, 2016. Last edited July 16, 2016.
Floatiest platformer ever made. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=710537064
Going fast is not an option because it takes ages to speed up and slow down. It has these locations where the height of your jump is slightly too much but you don't expect that, so first you mess up, go back to a checkpoint, and next time you have to remember to jump in a weird way so you go right when you start falling. And that has to be well timed, too. Almost everything is based on perfect positioning but the way the "character" controls really sucks. Oh and sometimes you get stuck in the ground.

This all happened to me on the first level. I gave up.

★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Posted June 25, 2016. Last edited November 5, 2016.
It's not a great game. Everything is kinda mediocre, and there is a fair share of bugs, but it has its moments and I still had a lot of fun. I feel like I've been missing out all these years.

This is not a puzzle game, which is OK. The buttons add minimal depth; they just move or explode something to let you proceed. Thinking is limited to figuring out where to go, which can be frustrating but sometimes also fun.

Movement is also as simple as it gets. But it's all about the environments. There is a lot of variety and many interesting parts that require much attention to the execution.

I think this is the perfect game to practice the Steam Controller (mainly controlling camera).

★★★★★★★☆☆☆
Posted February 13, 2016.
Flick cute little critters around the place. Sacrifice them to make way for others. Or just inevitably misplace your throw and horribly murder some of them.
Critters swear at you under their breath with their high-pitched voices.
Contains many vulgar but funny jokes.

But seriously, this is a great puzzle/physics/action game that feels a lot like Lemmings. No, it's not mindless murder, the goal is actually to save as many critters as you can, with careful planning and agile execution - by moving and throwing them with interesting interactions with the environment and the gadgets that it contains.

Posted February 6, 2016.