Recent reviews by Bami

This is a modern doom clone in the truest sense of the word.

If you're a fan of the 1993 original, you will probably like this.
Posted December 3, 2016.
For a review of the game itself, there are plenty of other proper reviews out there. It's an amazing game, 9.5/10 would recommend to everyone.

However the "remaster" itself is pretty lackluster. On the positive side it has a re-recorded score, polished up graphics, the collision detection is smoother and the game works on all resolutions. The developers commentary and concept art is good fan service but honestly, I expected more on the technical side.

I played the original Grim Fandango about a year after release, so when I started my remastered playthough I set the graphics to classic and used tank controls almost exclusively. In this mode, the remaster has about the same graphical glitches (characters getting stuck in poses, characters vibrating/flickering on the screen, missing subtitles text, objects attaching at wrong angles) compared to the original release and overall it's very playable and not game-breaking: it just feels more like a port than a proper remaster. It might be nostalgia talking and the controls are pretty horrible, but if you want the best experience: use this mode.

For a second run (I missed a lot of the dialogue the first time through), I enabled all the "remaster" options. Almost all of these graphical glitches also exist in this mode.

Now next to that:

The upgraded graphics make the characters pop out of the original background renders. This, along with the cursor highlights and manny's head turning make finding objects very easy. A bit too easy maybe.

Although the point&click mode works well, sometimes the pathfinding makes weird choices and some objects don't behave like they should (try to interact with glottis on the last puzzle of year 3).

Maximised window mode gave me strange texture filtering/scaling issues, but running this with Borderless Gaming fixed those.

Although the background renders are fine, the video and some of the animations are really showing their age. Especially with the crisp 3D models it becomes a lot more obvious.

And finally, although the tank controls were clunky, you felt you were manny calavera. The point&click interface makes it feel a bit more distant. Controller support is excellent though and both supports tank as well as camera-relative controls.

As conclusion: this remaster is not worse, but also not that much better than the original release. It's still the excellent game it always was so I can really recommend this to anyone. The puzzles can be a bit obtuse at times, but the story makes it worth it.

Posted November 15, 2016.