Recent reviews by Athravan

< 1  2  3 ... 10 >
Into the Breach is a tactical strategy game in which you are the last line of defense against icky insect (Vek 🕷 ) alien invaders. In strategy terms I'd liken it to a game of chess. You know all the moves your opponent can make, but what you need to think about is not the next turn - but the turn after, and the turn after that. Can you think ahead and set yourself up to counter the next 5 turns?

Survival Strategy

If so, you win the round. You don't need to destroy the enemy - you simply need to survive and save as many people and power as possible. If the enemy attacks a building, you lose power to the grid. If the power ⚡️⚡️ is gone, it's game over. Humanity is doomed... in this timeline anyway. Into the Breach is is a slow paced strategy puzzle game of thinking ahead and protecting your assets from all directions, occasionally sacrificing your own life. You're expendable, but the universe is not.

Enemies are varied and differ from island to island, with map mechanics and your own varying team abilities thrown in. So calling it similar to chess is a very simple analogy - it's a lot more complex with a lot more components thrown in to the mix. If you're thinking it sounds a little too cerebral, you don't need an eidetic memory as the moves from your opponents are telegraphed for the next turn which simplifies things in the short-term. As you go up in difficulty and play around with different team mechanics, strategy definitely intensifies.

Oodles of replayability

In addition to unlocking different teams with different abilities that seriously affect the way you play the game, you can purchase upgrades and have to decide how to power them. You can level up your pilots who can die (your mechs keep fighting, but you'll need to find a new pilot to boost their stats). You can choose the island you play on, and which map you play, with different maps having different goals for rewards. Of course, the harder the challenge the higher the reward - and risk. Even after beating the game, there is a ridiculous amount of replayability here with achievements that reward you with coins that can be spent on unlocking different teams.

Boo 😱, RNG

My only criticism is like any game with random chance, there is an element of frustrating RNG that can sometimes mar the experience. Although there are no XCOMesque hit chances and you know exactly what you and the enemy will do, the map placement and bonus events can sometimes make playing a perfect (or even good) game feel impossible, especially on the hardest difficulty. On the whole though, I do think that a loss is mostly going to be your own fault. Thanks game, for reminding me that I'm not a tactical genius.

Unique and Addictive

Despite this being heavily advertised as a game from the makers of FTL: Faster Than Light, don't be mistaken into thinking Into The Breach is similar in mechanics. It's a completely different genre and has nothing really similar gameplay wise. What it does have in common is that it's a well-polished unique game that'll keep you playing time and time again. Even when you lose horribly. That's a pretty good thing to have in common!

It's a highly recommended from me on this one. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

💖 If you find the reviews of an old Welsh lady interesting, please follow My Curator Page 💖
Posted March 17. Last edited March 17.
Farm Together is exactly what it says it is - a casual farming game designed to be a relaxing timewaster. It's almost like meditation in a video game, something repetitive you can do to reset your stress levels. It feels very similar to a mobile game with the real-time time-gating, but has no in-game microtransactions at all. Whilst early on in the game (the first hour) you might be sitting around waiting for your crops to grow, the game quickly develops into an addictive what's-next game where there is literally not enough time in the day to do everything in your farm. So ultimately, the time factor becomes more of a simple strategy as to what crops to place and where, rather than an actual gate.

⌛ Play with Time, not with Microtransactions ⌛

With no automation (although you can unlock the tractor which farms in blocks of 9 rather than your 1 by hand), by the end of a few hours play I found I had a fully functioning farm with half a dozen crops, 4 different types of trees, chickens, pigs and a selection of buildings. From that point on, there is always something that needs watering or harvesting and I've only unlocked the first tile of many! That's the cycle of the game - you don't want to quit as there's always just one more thing to do, then another, then another, and then another... I would really love to see things like automatic sprinklers for watering, and perhaps even hiring staff to go harvesting for you.

But the farm keeps going whilst you're offline, so the motivation is all in your head and you can spend 5 minutes doing some tasks and then leave it to keep going and when you log on the next day, there'll be tons to do. Bear that in mind if you have an addictive personality and are known to spend too much time gaming (aka, me for sure!) you might find yourself never logging off.

🐔 Simple, casual concept 🐔

This is no Stardew Valley or Farm Simulator and it doesn't want to be. It's a basic concept designed for people who just want to create a farm without having to think too much about it. This is farming at it's most simplest. Plant, water, harvest. Upgrade. Plant, water, harvest. There are a few nice customization options in between, with cosmetic buildings, items, fences and paths, so if you like making a pretty farm there are some options there.

🍆 Accessible co-op 🍆

I forced my husband to play with me for a few hours (he hates this type of game so bribery was involved) to test out the co-op and it works reasonably well. You can jump in and out of other players games, and they can change their settings to allow people to just farm or have higher modification permissions. It does need some work, as right now you can only change friends or not friends. I have 300 steam friends and I only want to give my husband permissions, but this doesn't seem to be settable on a personal basis. Additionally, the farm is hosted locally and as such if your friend isn't online, you can't contribute to their farm, so you can't truly have a co-op farm that's run by multiple people. The host would have to leave their PC and game running 24-7 to allow for a truly multiplayer farm. Still, what's there is very easy to use, intuitive, functional and fun (if you enjoy this sort of game).

I think it would make a great family game, with a parent hosting and everyone helping out and it should run on even a potato machine.

My husbands verdict: Addictive, but pointless. He also said "Why did you make me play this and when do I get my <redacted> as payment?" So, definitely not for everyone.

My verdict: A relaxing one-cost alternative to the casual mobile / Facebook farming genre.

🍌 A good start. If you like this sort of game 🍌

It's all rather basic right now but it's a solid early access foundation for what seems to be a well thought out and very cute casual farming game. If this is your style of game you will know it from the store video and screenshots. Looking forward to seeing how this evolves with time. But even in these early stages, it's a thumbs up from me. Now, time to go harvest some grapes.. 🍇 🍇

Posted February 25. Last edited February 25.
An alien civilization has been discovered. A brutal, warring race must be closely observed, but not engaged. Our research vessel - the Espial - has gone dark and it's up to me, a sole investigator to figure out what's gone horribly wrong. Through exploration of a small space station, you have to piece together the clues left behind in this first person walking simulator puzzler to figure out where the crew are and what's happened.

The graphics are detailed and the game is visually stunning. The characters are given depth by email messages, communication messages and well voiced audio logs. The Espial feels alive and genuine, with personal belongings scattered about rooms that help give the characters personality even without meeting them. Lights flicker and respond as you move through it, doors whoosh satisfyingly and the visuals at every turn are compelling. The atmosphere is immersive, oppressive and occasionally had me jump in a few places - but more because I'm a nervous gamer than design. It's a sci-fi thriller, but not a horror. The fear is in the unknown... and in your imagination.

The puzzles are simple and structured around observational skills more than anything else, although though there were a few moments of thinking. The gameplay is linear. You can do a few steps and listen to a few logs in different orders, but you can't affect the ship, crew or story in any way. My attention was captivated and I kept moving forward, finishing this game in a single sitting. The ending was interesting, a conversation starter for sure.

The major downfall of The Station is it is short. Less than 2 hours to 100% the game and listen to every audio log, read every email and communication message and pick up 90% of the items whilst turning them around and examining them. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of screenshots I took. I imagine that a repeat speed run could be done in 15 minutes. I would have loved this game to be expanded so much more. Although it does work as a short piece and the story immersive and characters well fleshed out, I feel like the price is going to be a stumbling block for the cost.

I thoroughly enjoyed my short playthrough of The Station. Graphically detailed, atmospheric and intriguing, this is a sci-fi story well worth experiencing. Whether it has enough value at the current selling price is up to you.

♥♥♥ If you find the reviews of an old Welsh lady interesting, please follow My Curator Page. ♥♥♥
Posted February 23. Last edited February 23.
Note: I was given a review copy of this game through my Curator Group

OPUS: Rocket of Whispers is a strange game, a story driven adventure, an apocalyptic scavenger hunt, part sci fi, part urban adventure, part fantasy. We play John, the son of a rocket engineer who along with Fei, a young Witch of Earthology fresh out of a cryogenic sleep, must scavenge a desolate landscape ravaged by an apocalyptic plague to build a rocket. Tormented by the spirits of the dead, the rocket must be built so that the witch can send the ghosts to the stars, where they can finally rest. Bit bizarre to say the least!

It's certainly an odd concept and a lot is left unexplained and to the imagination, but it's unique, special and extremely immersive. With a haunting, melodic soundtrack and well written dialogue, it grips at the heartstrings and tugs, tugs, tugs.

The gameplay alternates between top-down 2D scavenging an icy town, filled with lingering ghosts begging to be released and dialogue at the rocket factory, where you're putting together the parts that you manage to scavenge and the story-driven rocket factory. In the rocket factory we can talk to Fei as we progress and unlock collectibles that are needed for the side quests. There are 21 side quest items in total and you also have main quest items that you have to scavenge and assemble. There's no map although there is a mini-form of quick travel that you unlock, meaning a lot of the scavenging is progressive memory based, but fairly simple.

The story is revealed in tiny segments, with enough lore to keep you on the hook and wondering not only what will happen next, but what has happened in the past. It's an experiential adventure that wants you to think about things - philosophy, death, loss and mystery crossed with a scavenger hunt that encourages you to explore to unlock items. I wanted to keep exploring long after the night had fallen and it was too cold to continue.

Developed by Taiwanese indie studio SIGONO, I was a little concerned about the translation - but no need to fear, the English is flawless. The game originally released in September 2017 on iOS and the Play Store, but it runs beautifully on PC, with muted colours and stylized graphics that seem to fit the theme perfectly and lends to the atmosphere of a frozen urban wasteland. Of course, there is a question of price, as it is available on mobile platforms for $1.99, significantly less than Steam but I personally think it's worth paying more to get the experience in maximum resolution with an amazing soundtrack.

A playthrough took me just over 4 hours and there's no real replayability here. I achieved all but one of the achievements in my single playthrough and completed all the collectibles. The one I missed was purely my own fault and would be easy to obtain by just reloading the game if I actually wanted to 100% it. So I'd say 4-5 hours depending on your reading speed will get you a pretty thorough playthrough.

Whether you decide to pick it up on mobile or PC, this is a game that I strongly recommend.

OPUS: Rocket of Whispers exceeded all my expectations and is an original, compelling experience well worth having.

Posted February 10. Last edited February 10.
Good Looking History

Limbs fly and blood pools across the floor as I hack my way around 120AD Roman occupied Britain. I smash an archers head into the floor repeatedly until he is decapitated and then turn, lobbing it as a missile into an oncoming centurion, knocking him to the ground.

Wulverblade is a side scrolling brawler where non stop button mashing action blends with historical interest, set to the backdrop of a colourful, cartoonish style. The graphics appeal to me aesthetically with detail and layered environments. I loved the animated backgrounds which added immersion, such as a flight of deer running behind you in the forest, crows watching you from the foreground or a distant battle taking place. The animations are smooth and fast with satisfying combos, a rage bar for ultimate annihilation and the ability to call upon your wolves once per level to savage the enemy. I recommend you save it for when you're being overwhelmed, as this game really does love to throw numbers against you.

The amount of historical depth was impressive - with lots of information, cut scenes and collectibles. Even the odd secret or two to discover.

Simple Gameplay

The gameplay is a little generic and I felt it was somewhat lacking although some might find it simply nostalgic. We have two main moves, light and heavy attack, with an array of weapons, both melee and missile which you pick up from fallen enemies as well as an essential block. There are breakables, food items and collectibles, but the only progression is in the story and how long you can survive. There are no increasing stats, no where to spend your mad loot (it simply accumulates your high score) and after the first few hours my fingers were numb and it was time to take a break. I didn't really feel I was playing with any skill or learning much as the game went on, purely charging at enemies and hitting X until I was surrounded by blood and bodies.

There is a boss fight to every level, but they're heavily telegraphed and not too challenging. The biggest challenge came from hordes of stun-locking enemies who kept knocking me down, which was a little bit more frustrating than I'd like. Bear in mind though, I'm not exactly good at video games so this probably could have been avoided. On the whole, I found the normal enemies more challenging than the bosses, just because of being overwhelmed by numbers.

Bring a Controller to the Party

The game is not well optimized for keyboard and mouse, to the point where I personally found it unplayable. The keys cannot be rebound, and I've never seen a game that makes you hit k, l and ; for your moves. It just didn't work well for me at all. I switched to controller about 10 minutes into the game, which is intuitive and responsive, and I simply don't consider keyboard and mouse a viable option for me with these controls, which is a little annoying for a PC release.

It's a shame that the gameplay didn't have more depth and customization as I prefer my action to have a little bit of RPG added into it, but some will enjoy the simplicity of the arcade-brawler and what's there is done very well, as long as you're willing to pick up a controller.

The art and history behind this game kept me playing far longer than the gameplay did, but it's worth mentioning that it supports full online co-op and this is definitely a game I'd enjoy playing with a friend. At around 5-6 hours for a playthrough and then high score modes available, you'll have to judge whether it's worth the entry price of £11.39.

I'd recommend it if you really enjoy the arcade action of a side scrolling brawler coupled with an interesting setting and attractive aesthetic.

Wulverblade certainly has style, but I'm not completely sold on the substance.

Posted February 8. Last edited February 8.
A developer has responded on Feb 9 @ 2:07am (view response)
This is the 7th installment in this series and is very similar to the previous ones - with slight improvements with every new release. If you're already a fan of the series, have completed the previous games and want more ancient Greece themed time management then you don't need to read on - this is definitely for you!

For those who aren't entirely sure what's going on here, the 12 Labours of Hercules is a time management puzzle game. This inexpensive series gives you control of Hercules, his family and minions and are given a level to complete. This level will require you to click different things in order to complete a goal, such as flicking a switch, repairing a bridge, collecting enough food, rescuing someone, etc. This sounds really simple, but the puzzle element is how you get to your goal in the time available. There are always multiple different things you can do and choices to be made and you have to figure out how to be efficient by clicking in the right order and activating your boosts wisely.

When you start a level the timer isn't running, so you can have a bit of a think and evaluation of the board and plan your strategy. Once you get going, the levels are fast paced and short, usually less than 5-10 minutes. You're awarded completion score and stars based on your time and whether you met the target. There's a developer time set, and one of the achievements is to beat 20 developer times - which turns this casual puzzle game into quite a challenge!

The first game released in 2015 and there's been enough demand to release a total of 7 games now, with the latest iteration offering more of the same - but with expanded levels, new environments and improved graphics. I do think that as time has gone by, the series has started offering more challenge and realized that it's target audience isn't just time wasting mobile puzzling - but those who are genuinely interested in the strategy of time management and getting a high score so now it caters to both audiences.

If you've never played one before, I'd actually recommend starting with the newest and then working your way backwards if you complete everything and want more.

It's definitely a niche genre, but Hercules really nails it with simple but addictive gameplay. At £2, each game really does offer excellent value if you enjoy the concept of time management.

♥♥♥ If you find the reviews of an old Welsh lady interesting, please follow My Curator Page. Pretty sure no one reads this far down though! ♥♥♥
Posted January 31. Last edited January 31.
Sorry, this turned out way longer than I anticipated. TL:DR - It's good.

Nantucket is a strategy RPG set in the time of whaling – we are searching for the infamous Moby♥♥♥♥♥♥ (steam censors that, apparently) of Melville fame, but have to start at the bottom and steadily but surely build up our crew and ship until we have the strength needed to wreak vengeance. Coated in blood and blubber, my ship sails into port, my crew heading to the tavern to spend their violent gains whilst I stock and supply the boat, fix the sails and upgrade the cannons. There is an authentic aesthetic and atmosphere to this game as well as a delightful attention to detail. You’ll get sea shanties galore and for those who are interested in whaling and historical sea-faring, this game offers an insight into a historical period that’s not well explored in gaming. Sure, pirates games are everywhere and I understand why – but the whaling industry was an interesting time where brutal danger and economics merged, which is reflected well whilst playing.

Progression and Strategy

We start off with a tiny rotten ship, holding just three crew and a couple of whales worth of blubber. Upgrading takes cash and we’ve just spent it all on loading up on grog, food and water, so we need to make a killing. The newspaper tells me there’s potentially a new whaling area and gives me the co-ordinates, so we set off. Days pass and I navigate around a storm – I definitely don’t have the skill to survive that right now – and take a minor detour around a perilous seabed, but eventually I arrive. Fins ahoy! I can finally start to build my way up to a fully manned crew on a massive frigate, enough to one day take on Moby D himself!

The combat is slow and strategic. You can take three crew per whaleboat (so that's 9 crew on a larger ship) including yourself if you want to risk your life and each crew member has a skill set based on their class and level. With each turn you roll the dice and pray to Neptune that the wind is in your favour. Opponents similarily have a skill set based on their animal type or pirate class and random event cards play each turn that may be in your favour or against you. Death is permanent; but that’s life on a whaler and you can always replace your crew at port. As you progress, higher prestige will allow you to recruit sailors with higher starting levels and traits, so that the crew progression doesn’t feel too grindy and there are points when you’ll want to fire someone and hire someone different anyway, so don’t get too attached to anyone. I felt a little guilty firing one of my many gay lovers (yeah, that's a thing) but I quickly moved on. You don't get to be a whaling captain by being sentimental after all.

There’s quite a bit of choice in crew with a lot of classes available, each with different strengths and weaknesses. On top of that they can earn different traits, some which directly affect their working abilities, others which are more social and effect random events or narrative encounters. You can also gain special equipment which can be equipped by every crew member (1 piece each) and can change things up quite a bit. So there’s definitely a good chunk of variety here. In ship management you’ll be able to place your crew in different locations which will affect your progress in an authentic way. Crafters can repair the hull faster, cooks can provide morale bonus, some workers can convert blubber into oil if you have the technology, you’ll need a lookout with good vision and someone on the foredeck with a high sailing skill. Your crew needs to be balanced – those on board who can help you weather any storm, navigate around icebergs, negotiate with pirates or board them when it comes to it and of course your hunting team, who you need most of all to do the dirty work.

In short, there’s a lot of scope for tactical thinking and strategy at a detailed level.

Story Driven Questing

Although the order in which you receive minor quests seems to be random, this is a static map and a story-driven game. You have a main quest and a map which has the same locations for the trading cities and whaling routes – based off historical representations. You’ll need to level up quite a bit to progress with the main story and upgrade your ship which takes a small fortune. How you earn that fortune is fairly open – you can track whales and focus on cargo space, you can fight pirates, you can do delivery missions or hunt down shipwrecks and all the time random side quests will be popping up with a fair variety of outcomes. Ultimately though you’ll come back to that main quest and the hunt for Moby♥♥♥♥♥♥as you’re haunted by your experience and need closure.

This does mean that although your playstyle may be different to mine, ultimately there’s limited replayability to the game. I’d estimate the game takes about 20 hours depending on how much you grind and how many side quests you complete on normal – probably way more if you want to play it super safe and get the bulk (or all) of the achievements on seadog (read below!)

Damn the Dice and Difficulty

The main downside of this game that may put a few people off is the RNG. There’s always a fine balance to RNG and if that isn’t found, it can feel frustrating and unfair. The difficulty is tuned a little bit too much towards the unfair needle on this compass as you can sometimes die without having much choice in the matter. On harder fights, all it takes is a few bad dice rolls or a random event card that plays against you and the tides have turned.

There are two difficulties, normal and seadog where seadog essentially turns the game into a roguelike / ironman – one death and you’re out. I think that the RNG the game can lead to incredible frustration if you lose your entire game due to a dice roll completely out of your control, but if you're playing on normal this won't matter as you can just load up a save from a few minutes ago. However, the steam achievements only work in seadog mode, which makes me think this is how the developer wants people to play – but I lost an 8 hour playthrough on seadog difficulty when encountering a legendary whale for a quest. My captain was forced to take part in the encounter and retreat was grayed out, with triple my health, triple my damage and the ability to stun all three crew members at once, I literally did not stand a chance vs. this foe and had no indication before entering the fight that this would be the case. Since this game is ultimately a story-driven one where you’ll have to grind and repeat content again after game over, I’m not a fan of the seadog setting and abandoned my quest for achievements out of respect for my sanity (and time).

After I'd gotten over this hiccup and restarted on the normal setting (and spammed F5 every 3 minutes), I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough.

Nantucket is a unique game in a setting little explored. It offers strategic depth and detail galore, and although marred a little bit by RNG, is a fun, satisfying game.

P.S. My tag line is “I do not live in a whale”, due to years of jokes (and bad spelling) from American gamer friends regarding the fact I live in Wales. They also sometimes trigger me by calling me Whaleish instead of Welsh. I hope none of them notice that I'm now officially a whaling captain to boot.

Posted January 24. Last edited January 24.
Note: I received a gift copy through the Steam Curator System. I have decided not to feature it on my curator page, but am still writing a review.

In Doodle Mafia we're given five starting elements, crime, person, metal bar, wallet and building. You then combine these elements with simple clicking to create a new one. For example, crime + metal bar = break in, wallet + crime = theft and so on. You now have a 5th element which you can use to combine and this goes on until you've managed to find the combinations for 288 different things. As you uncover each element, it changes something visually on the map. It does have a basic element of strategy, but you can easily brute force it by simple trial and error.

There's an open world where you work on unlocking everything for your city, a campaign which gives you a different story premise and you must unlock the right things to complete the story, and there's a mini casino slots game where you can use dollars you earn in the city and campaign to spin and uh.. make more dollars? I don't see the point of this, as there doesn't seem to be anything else you can do with it.

If you've played Doodle God, you'll find this game very similar. If anything, although the store description claims it's the biggest Doodle game to date, it seems to have slightly less elements, less puzzles and also no competitive edge with Doodle God's leaderboards and tournaments. That being said, it's also half the price and definitely still has many, many hours of addictive clickery so I'm not complaining about content.

Just like my recommendation for Doodle God, you're going to enjoy this if you like very casual clicking and time wasting. It has a unique theme that some people may prefer and I think that spices it up a little but crime isn't really my thing, so I think on the whole I preferred the original.

As with all the Doodle Games, it's available on the iOS and Google Play store far cheaper than steam, is enjoyable in short bursts, and really works well as a time waster on the go. It's also better suited in my opinion to touch screen mechanics than clicking, and I'd recommend the original "Doodle God" if you haven't played any at all, for it's extra puzzles and competitive elements, unless you really like the theme of crime sprees.

I'd recommend this for a casual time wasting puzzle-lite game with a mafia / crime theme, but it may be more fun for you on mobile formats.
Posted January 18.
Note: I was recently gifted a copy of this game on Steam through the Curator Connect system, however I have also played it quite a bit on iOS. I've chosen not to feature it on my curator page but would still like to provide a review.

In Doodle God we play a zany God creating a universe out of basic elements. We start with the four big ones - earth, air, fire and water, and from those combinations can work up to a massive 249 elements. The word elements is used in a strictly non-scientific sense, and I wouldn't expect to get too much educational benefit from this, considering you can create sex, vampires and aliens to name a few, along with the more grounded things you'd expect. Whilst you can use a level of strategy to try and figure something out, realistically what you're going to be doing is repeatedly clicking on combinations and hoping something comes out of it. As the complexity increases, so does the repetition.

There are various hints available to you to make it easier (timed) and also a reasonable sized selection of side quests and mini puzzles - although they seem to use combinations that you'll discover in the main game in different ways. For example, in one of the challenges I'm asked to discover gifts for various characters. A vampire might want some gift wrapped blood, mmm, delicious.

There's a leaderboard which assigns you a score based on on how much of the game you've completed, which might provide motivation for the competitive types and you can earn tokens which you can spend to enter tournaments - although it seems pretty slow going and I don't like the element of having to check back every 15 minutes to get a token in a game that's on sale for £9.

I have quite an addictive personality and I'm also the Queen of time wasting, so I actually quite enjoy a bit of mindless clicking sometimes and I'll be honest, I do enjoy this game on mobile. That being said, I do think it's more suited to mobile, both for the casual nature of playing this in small bursts, and for the swipe/touchscreen mechanics rather than using a mouse. It couldn't really recapture my interest on PC and my clicking finger got tired.

My recommendation is to pick this up if you want a casual, addictive little time waster - probably on your phone over your PC.
Posted January 18. Last edited January 18.
Note I received a copy of the game through Steam's Curator Connect system.

♥♥♥ If you find the reviews of an old Welsh lady interesting, please follow My Curator Page. Thanks! ♥♥♥

InnerSpace is the exploration of an inverted spherical world. Powered by an ancient civilization now long gone, you, the Cartographer and your companion, the Archaeologist, are trying to discover the secrets of the beautiful yet surreal surroundings. You're basically a mini transformer that can be a plane or submarine, allowing you to soar through the landscape and plunge into the ocean. The Archaeologist rebuilt you, but you're designed and created by the ancients that once thrived in this world, so you have the ability to harness their power and activate the contraptions they've left behind. To accompany you and help you discover the secrets of the past, creatures known in lore as the Demigods can be discovered.

I'd describe it is a semi-open exploration adventure. The narrative is a guide, teasing you with lore and offering you gentle assistance if you feel lost, but it doesn't have to be followed exactly. Different chambers can be unlocked with minor puzzle elements and have a myriad of secrets in store. Wind is your energy and it sits tantalizingly close to the clifftops, nestled into the crevice of old skulls, buried beneath the ocean and secreted in hidden passageways. Wind is needed to upgrade your Airframe and to power new devices, alongside the plans - known as relics. Most of the gameplay is the mechanics of flying, drifting and diving and it took me a while to get used to the controls and the orientation. Although I'm a mouse and keyboard kinda gal, I did have to use a controller. I had some problems with keybinding on mouse and keyboard and found myself lacking the control or precision you need to play. Therefore, I'd personally say a controller is required, more than recommended.

In addition to collecting that elusive Wind, you'll need to talk to ancient beings, unlock secrets by flipping switches, cutting levers and finding breakable points to smash through. Whilst the story is pretty simple - I did find it interesting and wanted to find out exactly what happened to these ancient beings and how they faded away into obscurity. There's no voice acting though. The main draw is definitely that of air exploration, but the dialogue, lore, and story was a sweet touch.

The InnerSpace soundtrack is perfectly blended for the environment. Relaxing, chillout ambience, with moments of exhilaration or anticipation. Chasing the flock through the Mornsea was one of my favourite moments of the game and that was in majority down to the seamless blend of the animation and music, although the beautiful aesthetics certainly help.

The Downsides

It's a relaxing journey, but those who want a challenge may find it a little too laid back, with no real risk element. The gameplay is unlocked from the start and doesn't really progress, although we do unlock airframes that offer different strengths and weaknesses. It turns out I prefer the first Airframe unlocked after the tutorial, it's the most maneuverable and the fact that it doesn't have speed on its side is actually a boon to someone fairly inexperienced with controller movement like me. It's called the piano airframe, and moving the wing tips yield musical notes, which probably delighted me way more than it would most. I feel a bit sad that more wasn't made of upgrades and progression. Whilst the inverted physics realm is pretty cool in theory - it gets very disorientating, especially when you start crashing out and end up bouncing from place to place with no idea of what's happening. It's a neat idea, but it did get a bit tiresome.

This is definitely a game for those who just enjoy drifting and exploring and for those who like the artistic style. Despite the somewhat limited gameplay, I loved this game and unlocking each Demigod was a delight. I found myself coming back to it repeatedly - and always finding something new.

InnerSpace is a simple, beautiful and relaxing game. It's limited in scope, but I highly recommend it to those looking for a chilled out experience.

Motion Sickness Warning I suffer quite seriously from motion sickness. In some games, this can be experienced whilst I'm sitting in my chair because my weird brain gets its signals mixed up. Thanks, brain! I experienced some symptoms when doing repetitive loops in this game; after circling upside down for a few minutes looking for a detail I did find my head was spinning, which continued after I'd closed the game. This may just be a random Ath fact and it doesn't apply to you - but if you also tend to experience motion sickness or vertigo in some gaming environments, it's worth being aware of. If this does affect you seriously, you will find out within the first 2 hours of the game and thus be within the refund window.
Posted January 16. Last edited January 16.
< 1  2  3 ... 10 >