Recent reviews by MaxOfS2D

< 1  2  3 ... 10 >
Ok, you know that gif of Tim and Eric that's always used for the "mind blown" reaction?

This is what this game is
Posted June 23. Last edited June 23.
Time spent in this game:

- Matchmaking queue (varies)
- Wait for players to connect (up to 2 minutes)
- Plane ride (30 seconds)
- Parachute down (up to a minute)
- Start gathering gear (up to five minutes)
- Die
- Rinse and repeat

And then you can actually start playing. Unless you got killed during that last phase.

The game has lots of potential and is fun when you are a group, that's for sure, but it would benefit so so so so so much from letting you try your luck faster, seeing as how it's so easy to die without even knowing how it happened. This is the single biggest thing holding the game back in my opinion. You need to be able to get back into a new game much much faster, and by new game, I actually mean the part where you start playing.
It's Journey, but underwater.
What if LIMBO was actually good?

This is the answer.

And oh man it is one of the greatest answers we could get. The world design, the animations, the art, the story — it's all amazing. I really wish I could get more into the latter but, any attempt to even start describing it would be a spoiler. It's best to play this blind as much as you can, kinda like UNDERTALE.
Posted November 25, 2016.
No ratings yet
It's not super pretty, it's not bug-free, but holy hell it's one really great RPG/FPS hybrid that compromises on neither aspect. This is vastly superior to either Fallout 3 and 4. Make sure to also get all the DLCs — they are amazing!
Posted November 23, 2016.
This is incredible.

There is something so surreal and beautiful about walking in a low-poly, blurry version of your hometown, as seen by satellites... but then, flying over there, gaining new perspectives on these places you've been all over your entire life... it's groundbreaking. It feels like unlocking a new sense of spatial awareness.
Posted November 16, 2016.
This sequel is as good as the first game, but in different ways. It's better in some aspects and worse in others. Usually reviews are more informative when people tell you what they didn't like, so here's my two cents:

Karnaca didn't feel as good as Dunwall; less cohesive, less lived-in, samey-samey... there are a couple of really great locations but besides them, it feels like there is a bit of wasted potential. In fact, in most ways the city really feels like Dunwall II: Desert Edition, but without the things that made Dunwall its own great original universe in the first game. Don't get me wrong, the design of Karnaca itself is great and imaginative in a lot of ways, but to me, it felt like it wasn't as cohesive as Dunwall.

The story has a smaller focus, as weird as it might sound; it's also more cliché than before. It can be summed up as "big bad arrives, now get rid of big bad". One of the great things that was added, narrative-wise, is the addition of many, many, MANY conversations you can overhear, but these are sprinkles on a cake that wasn't very big to begin with. Whereas in D1, the narrative was greatly augmented with all the background lore and stories, like the whales and how they play into the world and all that. The game also touches on the underlying of "take back your empire" and the implications of it (you're an empress, but is bloodright really what should make you a ruler), but only very briefly, which is disappointing and shallow. There are many great little narrative pieces in D2 but the main storyline is shallow. In a way, you could argue it's starting to, worryingly, resemble other games funded by Bethesda.

Gameplay-wise, a ton of little niggles that can all be summed up as: it's really easy to try to do something you thought was gonna succeed but then it doesn't work out and the consequences are disproportionate. Far Reach (Emily's blink magic) is also weird in how it behaves and can be annoyingly tricky to aim. So you're really encouraged to save scum.

Overall... did you like Dishonored 1? Then you'll like the sequel, but it might either disappoint you or surprise you a little. Either way, I feel like it doesn't surpass the achievements of the original.
Posted November 14, 2016.
Pretty good experience
Posted October 29, 2016.
A cool 20 minute silly story, although the constant "typical whiny voice" from Justin Roiland gets old REALLY QUICK. And unfortunately, some of the things you are to do are a bit too unclear. Other than that I would recommend it
Posted October 28, 2016.
No ratings yet
What if one of the early Zelda games was a modern VR adventure? You've got your answer.

This is, by a long shot, one of the VR games you CANNOT miss.

It's also made by Kelly Bailey, the amazing musician behind the Half-Life soundtracks.

I also really want to praise the ambiance and atmosphere of the environments, which is REALLY good; in fact, if, like me, you're a Dota player, it feels like it could be a Dota spinoff, in some weird way... (and in fact, not only is the splash art by Jim Murray, but some of the 3D assets are, as far as I can tell, touched up Dota models)

Go for this, without hesitation. It's a great first (or second) step into VR.
Posted October 28, 2016.