Recent reviews by MaxOfS2D

< 1  2  3 ... 11 >
Really like this game. If you liked LIMBO, INSIDE, and other narrative-focused platformers, go for it.
Posted November 22.
Pretty good mod, with a few great moments; frustrating and unclear level design in a few places, though. Overall recommended if you just need more Half-Life 2.
Posted November 11.
If System Shock 2 was made today—and didn't have SHODAN—I think it'd pretty much be this. If you liked Bioshock 1/2, Deus Ex games, and, well, of course, the Shock series, don't hesitate to pick this up.
Posted November 4.
Better than the first game, but the difficulty is still a bit too much all over the place. The early game is very hard, then it gradually ramps down to just "hard" over the course of the campaign, but with frequent difficulty spikes to a point that it becomes frustrating. The thing that makes this a lot more enjoyable is that there is more granularity to outcomes. A lot of things are a lot less binary. In XCOM 1, either you steamrolled, or lost horribly, with very little in-between, and regardless of the outcome, it kinda felt a bit like ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t, especially the fact — my favourite part — that you were able to miss a truck-sized target at point-blank with a shotgun. While the funny 95% = miss shenanigans still happen occasionally, they definitely have (or at least feel like they have) been toned down. The story is also stronger this time around and the variety of play much more interesting.

At the time of writing this, if you could only buy one XCOM game I'd say that it would have to be this one.
Posted October 30.
Liked this. I can't say I would put it as my "Game Of The Year", but it was definitely a good time. The AR mechanics are pretty cool but it would have been interesting to see a few puzzles to go along with it; the extent of the guessing you'll have to do is figuring out where and when keypad codes are input by which characters. This is also a whole more linear than Gone Home. I liked the story and characters though but your mileage may vary.
Posted October 30.
I didn't like The New Order a whole lot (it was frustrating to play b/c I would constantly run out of ammo and have to backtrack entire levels in order to be able to progress past bullet sponges). However, I really enjoyed The Old Blood. And I liked The New Colossus even more.

Technically and artistically speaking, it runs like a dream. Thanks Vulkan! Smooth sailing over here, on an i7 4770 and GeForce 980 Ti. I haven't had any crashes, though sometimes, when I alt-tabbed out, my primary screen went black and then I had to alt-tab once, twice, thrice, etc. until I could invisibly fall onto the game window again. The Steam overlay also didn't work—I thought they had added Vulkan compatibility a long time ago? That's the extent of the technical issues I encountered.

Anyway, the game's story is, in my opinion, much stronger this time around, and it manages to draw real-world parallels without being too "obvious", without feeling too "preachy" about it, which is great. There are a few moments which are too over-the-top or completely miss the mark, but overall, it's a strong execution. However, the ending caught me off-guard... I thought I was on the second-to-last level, not the finale. The latter half of the game feels a bit too short, it feels like both halves are 60/40 instead of 50/50, if that makes sense.

The gunplay was a little frustrating sometimes; there are a few encounters and moments where it's really easy to get killed super fast, and the game lacks, in my opinion, sufficient feedback for you to realize you just went from full health to barely alive. Besides that, it was pretty good.

Overall, if I had to give this game a rating, I'd put it at a 8,5, maybe 9 out of 10.
Posted October 30.
It takes an hour, it's pretty good, but it's also quite hard in some places and has a couple of unfair BS moments. Don't be ashamed of selecting the "easy" difficulty; I wish I'd done that. But if you love Half-Life SP mods, you shouldn't even be thinking twice about clicking the "INSTALL NOW" button. Go for it!
Posted September 23. Last edited September 23.
I tried to read Homestuck... once. Seven years ago. I barely made it past the second chapter, everything was needlessly confusing. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this game and its attention to detail, as well as how nicely it explains its universe. However, I will say it's a bit of a shame that some of the images have their sides cut off occasionally (feels like a bug), and how a couple of the cutscenes are extremely rough compared to others. A more even execution would definitely be better.
Posted September 20.
Can't recommend this game enough. Gorgeous visuals, great story, incredible characters, all to the service of two things we don't see enough of in video games: 1) mental illness treated with respect as a subject matter, and 2) norse mythology, proper norse mythology, not the Diet Coke version of it as popularized by Skyrim et. al.

It's quicker to say what I didn't like in the game so here goes:

• The level design is sometimes a bit confusing early on, and some gameplay things that you NEED to understand aren't explicitly spell out. This may be considered a blessing in disguise, in some way, because there are zero on-screen tutorials or button prompts.
• Sometimes the fights can be a bit too drawn out, like they're a good third too long. That said the fighting system is pretty decent so it's not that big of a deal.

If I was a gaming reviewer at a major site I'd give this game at least a 95. I hope the studio gets to make more games like this.
Posted August 16.
Save for a few parts, Outlast 2 feels inferior to the first game. The story is far too cryptic to feel like a good payoff, and while it undeniably has, again, a few cool parts, the rest just waters it down. It's the same thing for gameplay: a few improvements, and a few awesome sequences, but everything else is inferior.

I appreciate that they've taken some risks and try to do something a little more original than an asylum in the middle of nowhere but in the end I didn't enjoy this sequel nowhere near as much as the first game. I'd only recommend it if you have no other must-play horror games to visit.
Posted July 29.