Posted: Dec 28, 2017 @ 5:52am

The Occupant is a first-person horror game, with lo-fi graphics and presented in a found footage format.

The Occupant is also a terrible game.

The game is broken up into twenty rounds, which has you working on various goals. The very first goal is to pick up three items, and throw those three items, then make your way to the elevator to exit the level. Goals, in theory, become harder as you progress, but there’s never really a time when the game presents a challenge.

While you’re collecting books, drawers, boxes, chairs and cabinets, you’ll be chased around by a mysterious white creature, presumably this is the Occupant. He moves slow, and causes your vision to become static when he’s close enough. He presents absolutely no challenge, mainly due to its speed and that you can run faster. When carrying heavier objects, like chairs and drawers, you slow down yourself, but considering you can toss the item ahead of you, run, pick it up, rinse and repeat, you’re unlikely to ever get caught.

Graphics are passable, but nothing to write home about. Audio and music are also passable. There are some audio cues that clue you in to the Occupant’s presence, such as a telephone ringing or TV suddenly turning on. There is the odd jump scare, but calling it a ‘scare’ is a stretch.

Menu design is terrible. When you enter the elevator to exit a level, your only option is to go to the main menu, from where you can then start the next goal. There is no way to jump right to the next goal. The goal screen is split up into five pages of four, so if you’re on goal five or more, the menu puts you back at goal one, so there are a few unnecessary clicks. Pedantic, yes, but an odd design.

If you want to check out some gameplay, watch my Let’s Play here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvkSE2RZEC8

• It’s cheap
  • Boring gameplay
  • Boring enemy that’s slow, predictable and presents no challenge
  • Passable graphics, audio and music
  • Extremely short
  • Extremely easy
  • No achievements or trading cards for hunters/collectors
The Occupant is not worth your time or money. In my 30 minutes of playtime, I made it to the 16th challenge, meaning I had four level to “finish” the game, and I just couldn’t bring myself to slog through any more of the same.

(The Occupant was purchased directly through Steam. This review has not been paid for in any way.)