Posted: Mar 7, 2016 @ 1:07pm
Updated: Mar 9, 2016 @ 10:49am

Chasing Dead is an action zombie game with some great features and some downsides.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You are a marine called Jake. You suddenly wake up on a plane that is going to crash. It would've been just an ordinary mission for a regular US marine, but there are also zombies on the plane. After landing the plane, your missions take place on a parallel Earth. Walking across it, you encounter many zombies that you have to kill.

Pros:
  • Cutscenes | Cutscenes are on a surprisingly high level. You rarely see such high-quality ones even in AAA games. They are acted by real people and have pretty cool sound effects.
  • Graphic Style | This game, in my opinion, looks quite good. Some areas look better than other ones, but there certainly aren't any bad ones. There are some little cons, though, which I am going to describe later.
  • Storyline | The story is quite detailed and the whole game is kind of based on it. It's true that the whole zombie thing is a little bit over-used in the current game industry, but this one is still good enough to be worth trying.
  • Weapons | There are quite a few weapons in this game, such as revolvers and shotguns, but you can also use your legs and arms to hurt zombies with your great strength.
  • Sounds | As mentioned in the Cutscenes part, the sound effects are pretty good and the music in the background also makes the action more fun.
  • Linux, MacOS | Chasing Dead supports all three biggest operating systems. Yay.
  • Steam Integration | This game also includes Achievements and Trading Cards.

Cons:
  • Pricing | I have to say that I was quite surprised by the price of this game. Some games of much higher quality have lower prices so I see no reason why this game is so costly. There was obviously a lot of effort put into the game, but that doesn't always justify the price.
    UPDATE (March 9, 2016): The price was lowered to 10$/€. It's much better now.
  • Animations | Well, there aren't many. When you're reloading your gun, you hold it completely still, only the bullet count on the bottom of the screen changes its value.
  • Hitboxes | When you shoot a zombie, the game sometimes doesn't detect the hit on the enemy and no damage is done to it. This can be adapted to, when you figure out where you have to shoot for it to work, but that doesn't make it good.
  • Bugs | There are some bugs across the game. IMO they're not such a big issue, but I know it bothers some people.
  • Settings | You can barely set anything in the options menu. You can't set the resolution you want (although Unity makes it the way you would want it on most cases).

The final verdict:
This was a weird review for me to do, but I have to say that despite game's flaws, I enjoyed playing it, I really did. The cutscenes are just way better than you would expect and the gameplay is just difficult enough to make you keep trying and trying. I don't agree on the price so much, but I know some people love shooters like this one so it might be worth checking out and considering buying it on a sale.

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.
aromero2000 Jul 31, 2016 @ 3:41am
No problem, thank you, dude
BirdCute Jul 31, 2016 @ 3:37am
Sadly, I'm on vacation at the moment and I don't remember if you can change the layout, also my laptop is not powerful enough to test it right away. You should try asking on the Discussions of this game, I believe you should get your answer there faster.
Sorry!
aromero2000 Jul 31, 2016 @ 3:32am
A question, my friend

Is there an option to change the keyboard layout? I confess I'm tired of buying some games in good faith that the player is unable to change the WASD BS key settings, without any warning from the devs.
BirdCute Mar 9, 2016 @ 10:48am
Thank you for the notification. I will correct my review as soon as possible.
2020Venture  [developer] Mar 9, 2016 @ 10:35am
Thanks for the feedback, With various fixes, price is adjusted as well. Hope you can mention that in your review.