Posted: Oct 10, 2015 @ 11:20am
Updated: Oct 10, 2015 @ 11:22am

Concrete Jungle is an indie strategy/puzzle game with a great look and innovative gameplay.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You are in charge of taking care of a city. You have to fill each row of the grid with the requested amount of points by building buildings that give points and houses, which are required to collect those points.

Pros:
  • Innovative Gameplay | A mix of card, puzzle and strategy games is a very unique combo, but the developer managed to make it awesome. It is enjoyable, simple to understand and really well made.
  • Colourful Visual Look | As you can see from the Store screenshots, this game has bright and detailed graphics that are pleasant to look at. I must also point out that the way characters look like reflects their personality really good.
  • Multiple Game Modes | Apart from the story, there are also AI and Versus modes, which are in my opinion great fun.
  • Story and Voice Acting | The story is well-written, funny and is fully voice-acted. The voices were apparently acted by some very talented people as the tone of the voice and its vividness are respect worthy.
  • Card System | The whole concept of the game is based on cards. You have a pre-built deck, from which you get 5 random ones. From the top few, you can choose the card you want to place on the grid. Each card has its positive and negative effect. Those effects are well-balanced and almost no card is overpowered.
  • Soundtrack | The soundtrack is written by multiple musicians and their creation fits perfectly into the game. As it is copyrighted, there is also an option to skip all of the protected tracks, just in case you're recording your game for Youtube.
  • Steam Integration | There are Trading Cards, Achievements, Cloud saving and even Leaderboards!

Cons:
  • Lack of Tutorial | Although there is a tutorial in game, it is spoken by one of the characters in the game. It is embedded into the story and is, therefore, a bit longer than some people can handle, so a lot of people might skip the text. There should be a menu in which the rules would be explained in a fast way.
  • Single OS Support | In this modern age of multiple operating systems and gaming on them, I am surprised by the lack of Linux and MacOS support.
  • Resolution Issues | If you are using a bit more unusual resolution, like I do, the red arrows that should point to specific buttons or other objects are misplaced. Mostly, you will still be able to figure out what the game wants to show you.

The final verdict:
As this game is great-looking and has quality content, I would certainly advise you to buy it. It has also been featured by Nerdcubed, which usually proves that the game is good. There is plenty of missions and even co-op mode, so you should enjoy for plenty of hours.
If you are a fan of puzzle or card games, you should really consider to purchase it.

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---
If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator Group
FireLion1983 Oct 14, 2015 @ 9:52am
I agree, disappointed about the lack of Mac support and the lack of online multiplayer - this game would have been amazing to play with my GF when I'm thousands of miles away.
stubar Oct 10, 2015 @ 12:34pm
looks really nice, i think i'll like it :)
BirdCute Oct 10, 2015 @ 12:15pm
Ah, that is correct, though, you do clear lines. And I hope you manage to get a good discount on it, it's really worth playing!
stubar Oct 10, 2015 @ 12:05pm
I watched about 15 minutes of lets play already, but by a different guy. seemed like building lines and clearing them. i'll wait for it to discount 50% then buy it :)
BirdCute Oct 10, 2015 @ 11:45am
Ah, it's nothing like Tetris, you only place cards at a time. If some of the same cards are placed together, they may form shapes like L, but that is not very frequent. I suggest watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTiBFpi2Jw
stubar Oct 10, 2015 @ 11:30am
looks like a cool game, from what I've watched of it, it seems to be tetris like?
TRU±Neutral Oct 10, 2015 @ 11:29am
Good review Bird, and a very interesting/good sounding game, too!