Posted: Mar 23, 2016 @ 3:16pm
Updated: Mar 23, 2016 @ 3:18pm

FLYING TIGERS: SHADOWS OVER CHINA is an Early Access indie flight simulator taking place in World War II.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You are in control of a plane, air combating above Asia. You can fly in multiple territories and there is also a variety of planes to choose from. Your task is simple: destroy the enemies. Sometimes they're on the ground, sometimes in the air.

Pros:
  • Graphics | This game looks amazing. The plane models look realistic and the environment is beautiful, too. Water also looks way nice that expected. Regarding animations, I was impressed with explosions that bombs cause.
  • Weapons | Different weapons are attached to your plane. You can fire a machine gun, rockets, and drop bombs. I like how you're not limited with a ridiculously small amount of ammo, but you have unlimited quantities of it. You only need to be careful not to overheat your machine gun. Bombs and rockets regenerate themselves after some wait.
  • Missions | There are 12 missions included into the campaign. They all include cutscenes, that are voice acted, and some story. Apart from missions, there are also game modes like Time Trial and a "free flying" mode.
  • Performance | Based on how this game looks, you would assume that it uses a lot of system resources, but it really doesn't. The game runs just fine even on high details and shadows.
  • Soundtrack | In my opinion, the soundtrack is just awesome. I spent a few minutes on the credits screen just so I could listen to the music without any game sounds. Then, I figured out that there is a soundtrack DLC available on Steam :P
  • Controls | I confess: I suck at flight simulators. But this game really makes it easy for everyone to maneuver their planes like a pro, if they only spend some time in game practicing. There are a lot of shortcuts on the keyboard that are really useful, like side-flips and rear view.
  • Steam Integration | This game has Achievements, Trading Cards, Leaderboards and Cloud support. Just as it should be.

Cons:
  • Lack of Multiplayer Players | Well, I rarely ever came across another player on the multiplayer servers, which is really a shame. But I really love the campaign, so there's not real damage for me. I know that some people prefer multiplayer, though, so do keep this paragraph in mind if you're one of those people.
  • No Linux/MacOS Support | Sadly, you can only run this game on Windows. Games are paying attention to alternative operating systems nowadays so it's a shame that this game isn't one of those.
  • Controls | I was a bit unsure if I should put this in or not, since I already mentioned that controls are, in my opinion, good. But there seem to be some people who generally like the controls, but do not like the way this game plays with a mouse. On the other hand, I loved flying with my mouse, so I guess this is just a thing you can get used to.

The final verdict:
The game looks great, plays great and sounds great. Since it's only in Early Access, I'm quite happy with the content it's currently offering. Although I'm not used to flying, I found it quite enjoyable in this game. There are 12 campaign for you to complete and, if you get bored, there are also free flying, time trial and other modes. Most people, me included, have noticed that this game runs great on most computers, which is definitely a plus.
If you're into flying simulators or war games, definitely consider buying this game!

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.
Márk És Patrik Feb 4, 2017 @ 7:55am