Posted: Aug 14, 2015 @ 2:48pm
Updated: Jan 26, 2016 @ 10:47am

Hacknet is a hacking simulation game. You are probably familiar with other games of the same genre, such as Uplink and the Hacker Evolution series. This game is, I dare to say, better than both of those, despite having some bugs.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
Fourteen days after Agent Bit's disappearance, a failsafe sequence was activated. You are one of the only people who can solve Bit's death. As you get more and more involved into the hacker community, you start unveiling a mystery and it's up to you to discover what was really behind Bit and the security system he created.

Pros:
  • After the success of Uplink, there had to be a game sooner or later that would try to improve what Uplink started. Hacknet not only achieves that, but takes it to the next level. The story alone is amazing and makes sure that you're not just repeating the same commands and actions over and over but gives it a meaning.
  • I have to say that the whole interface is working really nicely when it comes to clarity and effectiveness. You can do 90% of things both in the Display section and Terminal section, but they are both placed in the interface and I find it surprisingly effective. I use the Display section for figuring out what is going on and the Terminal section to execute commands.
  • You have a nice map on the bottom of the screen, that is showing all of the cyber locations you have visited already. As you get to connect to tons of computers, you would think that the map would be overcrowded, but this is not the case. I found the map really useful, despite it being almost completely covered.
  • There is no bouncing from servers as you remember from other hacking games. Instead, traces are lost if you simply disconnect. Even better is the way how the developers managed what happens if you get traced. Your computer (the virtual one, of course) activates a failsafe sequence. It tells you the IP of your ISP and your IP. You have to break into your ISP's server in a very limited amount of time and from there, reset your IP. This is a brilliant way to prevent accidental game overs and having to start all over again. Instead, you are provided with one more hard (and fun) challenge.
  • I really enjoy the soundtrack in this game. The song was written by a guy who also made the soundtrack for Hotline Miami. The music matches with the tension of your current illegal doings and really makes your heart beat faster. Amazing job.
  • The in-game hacking is based on actual UNIX commands, which is pretty cool. Still, don't expect to be a pro hacker when you finish this game. You would still be a few steps away, the first step being stopping playing hacking simulators instead of learning the real deal.
  • There is a ton of Easter Eggs in this game. A clicker game, hidden Steam keys and a lot more. It's really impressive how they manage to fit all sorts of things into this game. Also, you should read all of the IRC chat logs when you encounter them. They can be super funny (and useful).
  • I have cooperated with the developer in bug-related issues and I have to say that I really like the way that the developer interacts with the community. (Almost) all of the bugs I have encountered were fixed and I'm glad that they managed to bring the final release in a shape that they did.
  • Another interesting aspect of this game is puzzle solving. You have to think really hard to solve some of them and you even have to remember things from your previous missions, write things down and stuff like that.
  • If you don't like the user interface, you will encounter skins later in the game that you can download and make your virtual computer looks just the way you want.
  • The system requirements are low, which is great for old computers. However, there are some moments when FPS suddenly drops and gets to a normal level quickly.
  • $/€10 is a steal for a game of such quality. If you ever enjoyed hacking games, this should be the top game on your wishlist.

Cons:
  • Bugs. Many were fixed, but some are still present. The game-breaking ones are gone, however, so you should be fine.
  • This game should have a button to reset progress. I wanted to do that a couple of times but you can't really do that without browsing through folders and files.

The final verdict:
As a big fan of hacking games, I was very happy to be able to play Hacknet. The game is certainly made well and definitely recommend this game to you if you enjoy hacking games as well. The story is surprisingly good and adds an important part to the whole experience. The hacking really feels real and, even though that the commands are pretty much the same through the whole game, never feel repetitive.
This is, no doubt, the best hacking game ever released. Get it, and fast!

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.
BirdCute Dec 31, 2015 @ 12:45am
I enjoyed it more and a lot of people did as well.
CryonicSuspension Dec 30, 2015 @ 8:38pm
Are you saying that this game is better than Uplink?
BirdCute Sep 12, 2015 @ 2:36am
@The Moep, you're right, but it's still a game we're talking about :P
The Moep Sep 11, 2015 @ 10:25am
> Plays a game about hacking
> Complains about resetting progress through deleting files

The no-linux-support is a valid concern however. Maybe the creators wanted to stop the more sophisticated users from playing the game to not notice the obvious flaw in the "hacking"? ;D
Surma Aug 15, 2015 @ 4:16pm
Nice review, also about the "reset button" you can always create a new proflie
cheese sandvich Aug 15, 2015 @ 6:49am
thanks for the lengthy review. it highlighted a lot of points about the game and provided a very in depth discription of it. in fact you convinced me to get the game someday.

and for that you have a thank you from me.
Pin Head Aug 15, 2015 @ 5:32am
Great review, Hope my black hat still fits
BirdCute Aug 15, 2015 @ 5:04am
Glad you like it, RetroGuy :) Also, you can check Formatting Help
RetroGuy3210 Aug 15, 2015 @ 4:46am
Can I ask how you did the bold blue text, and how you did the border around the text at the end? Great review btw :)
BirdCute Aug 14, 2015 @ 11:51pm
Thank you, Alex, I will consider editing.