Posted: Aug 10, 2015 @ 6:11am
Updated: Aug 10, 2015 @ 6:15am

Hacker Evolution Source Code is a package of three Hacker Evolution games: the original one, Untold and Duality. All of those three also come with source code, written in C++.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
Game: you have to crack servers, bounce, steal info, solve puzzles, "fight" other hackers and avoid getting traced. Hacker Evolution series consist of pretty standard hacking games like Uplink or soon-to-be-released Hacknet. As a big fan of this kind of games, I enjoyed HE as well.
Source code: of course, if you wanted to play hacking games, you wouldn't buy this. The main feature about this pack is the source code. It is written in C++ and it can be opened with Visual Studio (as well as the Community Edition, if you don't want to pay for the full version). This pack is intented for programmers or maybe people who want to learn programming and (like me) prefer learning by looking at something that is already made and figuring out why stuff works the way it does.

Pros:
  • The whole idea of offering people source code is great. It is not common for developers to share the code with people, even if they're asking money for it. And I have to say that learning coding by seeing a proper and working example is really one of the best ways to do it.
  • Another good thing is that there are all 3 games with their codes included. That way, you can see how code progressed, changed and what features were added or improved.
  • The code is written cleary so you should have no problems reading it.
  • The whole package seems very small, it only takes 1 GB of your hard drive space.
  • Regarding the games, they are all good and you should like them if you're into hacking games. They have really good music and overall feeling is great when you play them.
  • The code can be compiled for Windows, Linux and MacOS, however, games in this pack can only be played on Windows.

Cons:
  • While you get all three games in this pack, you do not get access to DLCs. What a shame.
  • Those game are good, but you're gonna get bored if you bought this for the games. One = good, three = too many.

The final verdict:
If you are a programmer or just somebody who wants to know how to code, I really recommend this to you. You can't get a chance to look at some game's cource code very often. It includes three games so you should be occupied for more than enough time with the code.
If you're in for the games, I only recommend you to buy this if you want to support the developer as you can get the games much cheaper and the DLCs aren't included.

Also, I sincerely apologize that this review is not as lenghty as my other reviews are, it is exceptionally harder to review a source code than a game. Thank you for understanding and I hope you liked my review.

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---
If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator Group
BirdCute May 30, 2016 @ 9:59pm
This is not a learning tool, this is only an example of a completed and working code. You have to know some programming if you want to be able to use and understand this.
✯Conrad Von*☠*Winkle Dinkel✯ May 30, 2016 @ 7:27pm
How good of a learning tool is this then for a newbie at programming?
BirdCute Aug 10, 2015 @ 6:13am
Steam's Formatting Help does wonders!
Wilk [Curator] Aug 10, 2015 @ 6:12am
I want your secrets on how to make the quote thing.