Posted: Nov 2, 2015 @ 2:03pm
Updated: Jun 11, 2017 @ 4:07am

Sublevel Zero is first person spaceship shooter, placed in a zero-gravity environment, full of enemies.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You have to fly in a large space base, kill enemies and grab the loot they drop. From the stuff you collected, you can also craft more things to make you progression easier.

• Controlling the Spaceship | Controlling feels smooth and very intuitive. You can make the ship go in any direction, which includes up, down, and spinning left and right (6DOF, Google it). There is also controller support, which might sound strange for a 6DOF game, but it controls the game just fine.
  • Map | When you're flying through the passages and halls, while spinning in every direction possible, you soon lose track of where you even are. This game takes care of this with a very clear 3D map, which helps you travel the way you want.
  • Procedural Generation | The world you fly in is procedurally generated, helping towards bigger replayability, so you won't get bored easily! I had quite a few hours of fun with this game and even if you complete it, it will feel just as fun the next time you play it.
  • Graphics | I really like the way the world looks, sometimes it has pixel elements, sometimes polygons and sometimes it just looks cool with none of those.
  • Crafting | You can also craft new weapons with the resources you collect. As you progress in the game, you unlock more crafting recipes for better and different weapons.
  • Sounds | Soundtrack is awesome, as well as all the sounds when you shoot, hit, open doors and other things. They sound kind of space-like and are great for keeping your ears busy.
  • OS Support | It seems like the developers have added ports for MacOS and SteamOS, which is super good!

• Mouse Locking | If you have two screens or more, you will have quite a few problems as you can click outside the game, which will minimize it. Not very pleasant, if you're in a middle of a fight.
  • Understanding the Game | At the beginning, I literally had no clue what to do in this game. Explaining the goal of the game is not this game greatest side, although it does have a pretty good tutorial regarding controls, inventory and weapons.
  • OS Support | I'm sad that I have to include this in so many of my reviews, but developers should really start supporting MacOS and SteamOS. It's made in Unity, so ports for both operating systems shouldn't be more than a click away ... - updated on June 11, 2017 - see the Pros section

The final verdict:
I loved this game, although I was pretty confused about its goals when I started playing it. 6DOF might feel a bit weird it you've never played a game like this before, but you'll get used to it and will find it enjoyable. A big plus is procedural generation of the world you fly in, ensuring big replayability.
If you're looking for a relatively cheap game with spaceships, shooting and flying around, this is a game for you.

With love,

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.
BirdCute Jun 11, 2017 @ 4:09am
@Swiftpaw, I have updated the review, thanks for letting me know about the change! Sorry for the delay, I was abroad and didn't have much time. If anything else changes, feel free to drop a comment again and I'll be happy to fix my review.
Swiftpaw May 26, 2017 @ 4:34am
It does support Linux and Mac, so can update your review there.
SalzStange Nov 8, 2015 @ 12:13am