Posted: Jun 21, 2015 @ 3:22pm
Updated: Jul 11, 2015 @ 10:55am

Guns, Gore & Cannoli is a 2D zombie Shoot 'Em Up indie game. As you might expect, it includes guns, gore and, you guessed it, cannoli. Vinnie, who has a mission in Thugtown, is one of the rare humans still in town. Zombies are all around it, but luckily, he gets a few guns to fight them. And man, was that a fun fight!
You want ups and downs, right? There you go:

Pros:
  • Despite its style, this game actually has a really good story. I don't want to spoil it, but it exceeded my expectations. The story is evolving, more people are getting involved in the story ...
  • Graphics. There are lots of blood and explosions everywhere and they look awesome. Characters also look really nice. By the way, the whole game is hand-drawn. Awesome.
  • If you are into weapons, this is the game to play. It features pistols, machine guns, shotguns, flamethrowers ... you name it!
  • Different zombie types. There are crawling ones, running ones, shooting ones and more.
  • Co-op! You can play with your friends if you have controllers! It's only local, however.
  • Achievements, Trading Cards and Steam Cloud are present.
  • The price is pretty low.
  • The developer is super nice. I've talked to him and he is an awesome person, he is also keeping his game updated and is open to suggestions. Right now, for example, he is accepting suggestions for new main character skins.

Cons:
  • No Linux support. Sorry, Crazy Monkey Studios, but I'm a Linux freak ;)
  • No online multiplayer support. This game could be just as fun as BattleBlock Theater with it. What's better than playing with your friends?
  • I would really enjoy this game much more with mouse controlled aiming. At least consider enabling this for the easiest difficulty.
  • Sometimes, there's not enough health pickups. Could be just me playing bad, though.

Wuts?!?:
  • One of the options in the settings menu is "Flip cutscenes upside down". What the heck is this good for? Am I missing something out?
    EDIT: I spoke to the dev and he said that some people had their cutscenes upside down. The easiest way to solve this was apparently the option I mentioned above. Interesting.

The final verdict:
I like it and you should, too. It's super fun, has an awesome story and even includes some humour in it. It offers great relaxation on the easy mode and a painful challenge on the hardest mode, if that's what you're looking for. Co-op is a very nice addition, but you need real life friends to sit next to you.
The graphics are hand-drawn and look amazing. The developer is active and cooperates with community. You should give this game a try.

Greetings,
Bird

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---
If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator Group