Posted: Aug 26, 2015 @ 4:59am

Call to Arms is a Real Time Strategy military game. For an Early Access game, it already shows a lot of promise. I find it similar to Victory Command, which is better known as it was free for some time on Steam.
If this review is too long for you, I suggest you to only read the first paragraph about the game's content and the final verdict at the end.

What is happening in the game:
You have to control your units in order to beat other teams. You are slowly gaining point and with these points, you can buy soldiers, armoured vehicles and other units.

Pros:
  • There are already quite a few games like this one, but this one does not fail impressing me. The commands are easy to figure out, the whole setup is clear and you shouldn't find it hard to get into the game. This is really good for attracting new players (and making them stay, of course).
  • I don't usually rank the Options menu that high in my reviews, but the quantity of things you can set is amazing. You can change values of pretty much anything when it comes to video, audio and controls.
  • You can play singleplayer (with a little trick) and multiplayer. Surprisingly, there is always a certain amount of people playing this game, so you won't be the only guy in an empty server, as it happens to some games with that level of recognisability.
  • The amount of tutorials is astonishing. There are more than 30 tutorials in several difficulties and about 40 tips to help you play.
  • I love the music in this game. There are multiple tracks, from orchestra music to choirs and they really fit the whole war scenery.
  • The game is being regularely updated with maps, missions, bug fixes and improves. This is how an Early Access game should be developed!
  • There is also Workshop support for more maps and missions. If you are into that, you can also use the Editor that comes with the game.

Cons:
  • The replay menu is, well, broken. After clicking it, I get a critical error in a few seconds and the game crashes. I believe, however, that this will be fixed eventually and I will correct my review when this is fixed.
  • This has to be said: Store screenshots are not realistic. This is not how this game looks like.
  • You have to own the Deluxe Edition to get access to singleplayer missions right now. Since this game is in Early Access, it is a bad idea to restrict access to one of the integral parts of the game. This results in less people testing it and might lead to buggier final product. The singleplayer campaign will be unlocked for normal buyers, too, when the game is out of EA.

The final verdict:
This is not a full product yet, but it is already filled with contend and fun. There is also workshop support for even more missions. The gameplay is filled with possibilities and it is very easy to learn. Despite having some bugs in Early Access, I definitely recommend this game for RTS fans.

Greetings,
BirdCute

Note that my copy of this game was obtained for free for reviewing purposes. However, this did not affect the quality and objectivity of this review.

---
If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator Group