Hey. Over the last few days I've been working on a pack that, when mounted, fixes issues that occur when mounting the Left 4 Dead 2 content. This involves recompiling maps so they are functional in SFM, disabling models that crash SFM (due to engine limits in SFM that are not an issue in L4D2) and fixing infected skins.
This isn't all good news, not all maps were able to be ported across for example.
This pack has all the standard L4D2 content ported, no DLCs yet.The good:
- Most L4D2 maps are now fully functional in SFM. A few improvements have been made, including removing prop fading so you don't have props popping in/out of shot when moving.
- Skins have been fixed for the common infected, previously they were using a L4D2 specific shader.
- Certain models should no longer crash SFM when loaded.
- Special Infected are working (Want IK rigs for the special infected? Check out my web-based rigging script HERE!)
- Multiple maps were not able to be ported over. This is mainly due to engine limits. These include C1M3, C2M3, C3M3, C4M5 and C5M5. I'll see about trying to port these over again in the future.
- It's still possible SFM will crash, just much less likely. Don't expect to never crash again with this content.
- The maps were decompiled, this is not a precise process. This, coupled with the fact that SFM is missing some shaders (flowing water) and entities (fog, post processing) results in maps not looking great in some places, particularly the swamps.
- Some of the lighting in the maps are not as you would expect and it's pretty dark in places. This isn't all bad though, it's easy fixed up with some SFM-created lights.
It's simple, extract the 'l4d2_fix' folder into your SourceFilmmaker/game directory. Mount the content like you would any other game by adding the mounting line above
your left4dead2 mount in your usermod/gameinfo.txt. This ensures that the fixed content has priority over the broken content.
If you haven't done so already, run the batch file that fixes invisible models. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2824377
- see step #3, run it inside your left4dead2 folder.
Now, when you load SFM, left4dead2 content should be functional.
Just for reference, here's my gameinfo searchpaths.