Steam Greenlight
BUCKLEUP Feb 14, 2016 @ 1:58pm
(Question) Greenlight Sound Design offers
Is there an easy way to contact greenlight developers? Specifically, about asking them if they need help with audio as I am trying to break into the bussiness and have the equipment and some schooling behind it.
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
James Feb 14, 2016 @ 2:42pm 
I've sent you an invite to a my group that has a forum dedicated to audio (it's still young but once you add a comment there, people can contact you on demand) Other than that I can reccomand TIG Forum's Audio Subforum: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=26.0 best wishes!
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 14, 2016 @ 2:42pm 
Nope, and asking on the forum is unfortunately against the rules. :(

Considering that developers that submit to Greenlight are in the late strages of development and probably already have their sound guy I would suggest you target someone earlier than when they go to Greenlight. I know there are specific websites for that (I just dont know/recall any of them)
James Feb 14, 2016 @ 3:02pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:

Considering that developers that submit to Greenlight are in the late strages of development and probably already have their sound guy I would suggest you target someone earlier than when they go to Greenlight. I know there are specific websites for that (I just dont know/recall any of them)

Sorry but what rule says that asking questions is prohibited? (I do know a rule about backseat moderating though)
And quite a few developers could use audio support even in late development stages.

Also games on greenlight can be anywhere beween a first playable vertical slice (without any audio) and a finished product. There is also a concept area for games that are still in concept phases. That games need to be allmost finished is an assuption, since Early Access would be pretty useless if 'allmost finished' would be a requirement for greenlight.

According to some folks every word from content developers is considered self advertising or against some interpretation of rules and that's pretty akward. Yes, this forum is for discussions related to Greenlight and we all don't want to see self advertisements flooding this place. But it is also the first obvious public access point for general discussions about creating content for steam too. So I'd personally welcome some tolerance towards such topics.
wilco64256 Feb 14, 2016 @ 3:04pm 
To clarify, Gorlom meant to point out that asking for / offering work on the forums is in violation of the soliciting and advertising parts of the discussion rules. It also doesn't do any good as developers don't ever come here looking for people to hire. You'd be far better off looking in places actually meant for this sort of thing, like the gamedev.net site, the Unity collaboration forums, etc.
oy Feb 14, 2016 @ 3:18pm 
Another good place to look for work would be http://www.indiedb.com/jobs

Some developers there probably won't release their product through Greenlight, but it's worth a look as some do from time to time.
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 14, 2016 @ 3:35pm 
Originally posted by ;405691491121645254:
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:

Sorry but what rule says that asking questions is prohibited? (I do know a rule about backseat moderating though)
And quite a few developers could use audio support even in late development stages.
I did not mean that asking where to offer your services was against the rules but that as wilco said soliciting was.
I would concider that to be informing rather than moderating as I haven't really tried to enforce any rule, merely inform about them.

Also games on greenlight can be anywhere beween a first playable vertical slice (without any audio) and a finished product. There is also a concept area for games that are still in concept phases. That games need to be allmost finished is an assuption, since Early Access would be pretty useless if 'allmost finished' would be a requirement for greenlight.
You are correect about the concepts section, I did forget about that. I'm not sure how useful those are thought. THey might be too early in development to use a sound guy.
As I understand it the submission rules has been changed for the submissions to Greenlight proper.

That being said Ealy Access is a weird argument that I am not really sure how it is relevant? Early Access still needs a playable build. I can't imagine any early access game releaseing without sound/music. Games in Early access are close to finished even if they sit there for a few months/long period of time. At least I assume they are too far along to be interested in sound guys, which is the only thing relevant to this discussion as far as I understand it.

That being said Early Access and Greenlight are two seperate systems. One does not need to go through Greenlight to end up in EA.

According to some folks every word from content developers is considered self advertising or against some interpretation of rules and that's pretty akward. Yes, this forum is for discussions related to Greenlight and we all don't want to see self advertisements flooding this place. But it is also the first obvious public access point for general discussions about creating content for steam too. So I'd personally welcome some tolerance towards such topics.
As far as I know discussions are met with suggestions, while job offer posts are greeted by moderators that lock the thread down. This one I would count as the discussion type.
I apologize if I came off as abrasive or standoffish. Apparently I was not clear enough with what I meant (Thank you wilco for clarifying a bit). I too hope for tolerance, I was merely trying to inform and suggest there are places more suited that might not be as obvious but far more effective.
BUCKLEUP Feb 14, 2016 @ 9:47pm 
Originally posted by James:
I've sent you an invite to a my group that has a forum dedicated to audio (it's still young but once you add a comment there, people can contact you on demand) Other than that I can reccomand TIG Forum's Audio Subforum: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=26.0 best wishes!
Thanks a bunch dude!
BUCKLEUP Feb 14, 2016 @ 9:49pm 
thanks guys!
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 14, 2016 @ 1:58pm