We first hinted at it when we transitioned to our Open Beta phase, a few months ago. We gave you a little more details this week in our Dev Post. The whole Hero Draft event was to prepare your Heroes for it. Well, things are about to get real: the first version of Defense Crafting will soon be available for all in Opulencia.
Defense Crafting: why?
The Defense Crafting is one of this summer's biggest, game-changing features.
The very purpose of Defense Crafting is to introduce a lot more variety and depth to Defending in the kingdom of Opulencia and to give you even more tools to express your creativity. We have been building this feature with the aim to begin to address the feedback that was given regarding the variety in Castles buildups.
As we have just introduced this important new feature, please bear in mind that this is just the very first version of the Defense Crafting. As such, it may bring its fair share of bugs in the first few weeks, but it will evolve quickly in the upcoming weeks, following your feedback and the game data you will all generate.
How does Defense Crafting work? You will be able to find more detailed scenarios focused on each type of players down below, but here is the gist of it.
Defense Crafting: what?
20 Materials have been introduced to the game. These Materials are lootable in any player-created Castle in Attack mode, and will be stored in your inventory. They can stack up until 99 for each Material.
Thanks to these Materials, you will be able to craft Creatures and Traps in the new Crafting Lab Machinery. Players will need to reach a level 10 Castle Heart to unlock this new Machinery. Below that level, players will be able to buy Creatures directly from Cornelius in his Emporium, but in very limited quantities.
Creatures are now separated by specialization, meaning that you will be able to have Creatures with different specializations in the same Castle. A "Fists of Rage" Cyclops can now be placed next to an "Offensive Tackle" Cyclops, along with numerous other new combinations. Of course, crafting different specializations of the same Creature will require slightly different Materials, so you will have to be even more strategic than before when setting up your Castle's Defense.
What is even more interesting is the fact that new, rare and super powerful Creatures will make time-limited appearances every week in the kingdom. Getting them will be challenging, especially since they will not be available for a while once they are removed from the Crafting Lab, but the reward should definitely be worth it!
Creatures and Traps will now be linked to their Castle Heart's level, and will not require to be upgraded manually anymore. Along with the Summoning Portal, the Research Lab machinery is therefore gone. This decision will help fixing the "Odd Castle Levels issue", where players could only upgrade their Creatures and Traps once every 2 levels.
You will be able to loot the most Material in Castles of your own level, with the loot drop decreasing when attacking lower level ones. When your Creatures/Traps defeat a Hero in your own Castle, its tombstone will now reward you with Materials linked to these Creatures/Traps too.
Your main source of Materials is definitely going to be the Attack mode and other players' Castles. However, if you were looking to find one extra Material of a particular rarity or type, we also have developped Material Packs that you will be able to purchase in the Crafting Lab. They will grant you up to 25 random Materials depending on their sizes, sorted by rarity:
• The Dabbler’s Pack contains 5 random Materials, of which 4 are Common and 1 has a 60% chance of being Exceptional, a 35% chance of being Legendary, or a 5% chance of being Epic. It costs 50 Blings.
• The Enthusiast’s Pack contains 12 random Materials, of which 9 are Common and 3 have each a 60% chance of being Exceptional, a 35% chance of being Legendary, or a 5% chance of being Epic. It costs 100 Blings.
• The Connoisseur’s Pack contains 25 random Materials, of which 18 are Common and 7 have each a 60% chance of being Exceptional, a 35% chance of being Legendary, or a 5% chance of being Epic. It costs 200 Blings.
Now to give you more detail on how the transition goes down for each and every type of players.
Scenario 1: Existing Player over level 10
All of our existing players with a Castle Heart that is equal or above level 10 will see their Creatures and Traps contaminated by a very strong case of eternal Chickenpox. These Creatures and Traps now have a more greener conplexion, complete with spots and flies!
The new, craftable (and vaccinated) generation of Creatures will be twice as strong as the poor diseased previous generations’ ones: in short, players should look into replacing them as soon as possible! And don't worry: thanks to your training during the Hero Draft, all of our 4 Heroes have been buffed to be able to cope with this new breed of Creatures.
To replace their Creatures and Traps, they will have the Crafting Lab at their disposal, accessible from the Machinery Tab directly. All players are also able to purchase Creatures and Traps in the Cornelius Emporium in limited quantities.
Scenario 2: Existing Player under level 10
All of our existing players with a Castle Heart that is under level 10 will also see their Creatures and Traps contaminated by the same case of eternal Chickenpox. Since the Crafting Lab will only be available at level 10, they will need to visit the Cornelius Emporium under the Defense Tab to purchase new, stronger Creatures to replace the old ones.
Players under level 10 will still be able to loot Materials in the Castles they attack but at a much lower rate, to begin stacking them up until they get access to the Crafting Lab.
Scenario 3: New Player
A Player starting the game now will be presented with a redesigned tutorial that directly introduces the new Creatures and Traps' purchase through the Cornelius Emporium. They will unlock the Crafting Lab when they reach level 10. No case of the Chickenpox here!
Defense Crafting: What's next?
Allowing several specializations of the same Creature is only the first step toward better diversity and variety in Castles setups. As we stated earlier, we will start introducing limited and powerful new rare Creatures that you will be able to craft with specific Materials, for limited periods of time only.
Please keep in mind that this is a big, game-changing feature we have just introduced to a game that is still in Open Beta. As such, it might be prone to generate a fair share of bugs, especially during this first few weeks. It might take us some time to adjust and fix all the issues you will find with it, but we will get there, don't y'all worry about that.
Again, feedback, feedback and feedback will be extremely important for us. Here you go to share yours on our forums![www.themightyquest.com]