If last week was us getting back into our groove of updating every week, this week is us being back at full speed. Rebel joins the roster of mutants, with a powerful ability to spawn fellow rebels to help it out, and the very first version of the character unlock system has been implemented. We've gone back and cleaned up a whole lot of things, and progress on the Labs area is ongoing as you could see during the livestream.
- A brand new playable character, Rebel. Rebel can spawn allies at the cost of some health, and has a defensive ability that triggers each time it is hit.
- The basic system for character unlocks is now in place! The unlocks are tied to level progress for now, but there'll be more specific ways to unlock characters.
- Most mutations now have their own sound effects, courtesy of Joonas.
- Paul created beautiful new icons for the mutations in game.
- Fire-based weapons, such as the flamethrower.
- Enemies now spawn a bit further away from the player, and no longer directly besides, above or beneath the player. This is an experiment, as we want to see if and how this influences the fairness of spawns.
- Fish now has a completely new Throne Butt, called Water Boost.
- The Crown of Destiny no longer gives you infinite mutations, just one.
- You can no longer select characters hidden under buttons in the menu.
- Extra Stomach has been renamed Second Stomach.
- There's a little (!) on characters indicating you haven't played as those yet.
- The debris flying through portals has been tweaked a little bit and should look a bit better now.
- More hints related to weapons while loading.
- The Radiation Canisters now have proper perspective.
- The Super Frogs now have their own death sound.
- A subtle sound effect plays when there's only one enemy left.
- Lil' Hunter now screams at you when he's at 50% health.
- New sounds for the portals.
- New sounds for the Proto Statues.
Let us know what you think of the changes and the new content in the forums. There's not much else to say. Don't forget to tune into our livestreams on Tuesday and Thursday. and please tell your friends about Nuclear Throne!