Edit for 188.8.131.52 Patch:
To help the lower spec computers I've brought back the option to use forward rendering, but it's not recommended. Decal objects will be converted to a flat plane when swapping between modes.
- Added traitor uncovering questline.
- Added lightningstrike boss zombie quest for Ensign Cliff.
- Added groundpounder boss zombie quest for Peter.
- Added flamethrower boss zombie quest for Norbert.
- Added config options to include boss zombies in spawns.
- Added ability to track a quest in the HUD.
- Added Industrial Gas Can. [ID 1440]
- Added NPC/dialogue/quest/vendor documentation to workshop documentation.
- Added deferred decal support and converted many decal-like objects to use it.
- Improved aggressive actions to mark entire group.
- Tweaked player buttons to link to Steam profile.
- Tweaked armory to sell rangefinder instead of detonator.
- Fixed a variety of bugs with the bayonet.
- Fixed to allow scaling NPCs.
- Fixed using mannequin while using item.
- Fixed nightvision glow after toggling cosmetics.
- Fixed missing ceiling collision in one of Mooki's houses.
It was a bit of a nightmare to get everything working with them, but as far as I can tell the only issue now is a slight lighting difference with Use_Skybox_Ambience. Now that we have SMAA I think keeping forward rendering around alongside deferred isn't worth it considering the benefits of deferred, for example these decals or screen-space reflections (which I'll be swapping out for the planar reflections soon since I want to support arbitrary water placement).
Decals are great because there's no gap between the old flat geometry and the surface, and they can "wrap" around curved faces. For modders to allow decals to show on your models you will need to set the least significant bit in the stencil buffer to 1, or use the StandardDecalable shader found in Unturned/Bundles/Sources/Examples. I decided on making the decalable feature opt-in rather than opt-out because objects that shouldn't get decals receiving them look far stranger than not.