There have been a number of posts lately talking about latency in the game, and there are short, medium, and long-term ways to address this. Some of the long-term fixes need to be put off or else it would cause all feature development to grind to a halt, but I wanted to let you know I still felt it was important to deal with so in this patch I took care of some of the short-term fixes.
I have a hunch that a lot of players bad latency experiences were due to games where the host had a particularly bad connection, and I know I have recently seen one or two players idling as host with terrible connections, thus creating an environment where most of the available rooms had bad latency issues.
So I added some features to alleviate this, as well as some other bugs I found in the latest patch that added Co-op challenges:
- Added host's ping to room list in Find Match panel
- Automatically transfers host to best ping player if current host ping over 100
- Will AFK kick people if they are on an unassigned team, waiting for match to start
- Improved end-round scoreboard for multiplayer challenges. Now shows top three players' contributions and accurately displays the total team score
- Multiplayer challenges now respect the player limit
- Removed 'Show Advanced Options' on create match panel, now simply shown as 'Expert Room on/off'. This allows you to explicitly create an expert room even if you are not playing any expert modes (good if you want to attract high-level players)
- Multiplayer challenges now autorestart at end of match
- Air raid opponents increase with number of humans
- Fixed bots in Reactor not being able to go all the way to the far back wall
- Can equip inventory glasses from inventory screen like all other cosmetics
I'm working on some very cool stuff for the next major patch (5.0). Look for some more news on it in the next few weeks.