And here we are, with version 0.7.0.0! This version brings in a whole raft of changes in two main areas: graphics and the weak force.
The Weak Force, while really interesting, has been a bit of a tough nut to crack. The good news is that I think we’ve got it! The big issue was that the mechanics around the Weak Force were inherently unforgiving: it was far too easy to let important particles decay, and far too easy to get stranded without a way to finish a level.
With that in mind, I made 2 basic changes: decays are longer, but triggered by explosions (allowing both time and control); and W bosons now decay into electrons and neutrinos (rather than up and down quarks, which were much more deadly). Neutrinos (which are new!) give you 2 pieces of data, meaning that it’s now possible completely recover the data from a change.
The other big change you’ll notice is a bunch of graphical improvements, especially around examination mode. We’re using some pretty awesome shaders to help highlight the player particle and whatever you’re examining, and are using this same effect for everything from invincibility to the slowdowns that introduce new particles.
Finally, there’s a bunch of small bug fixes, and some new menu features. Controllers should be fully supported now, and all of our options are nicely in the game menus.
That’s pretty much it for this build - as always, please let us know what you think! - Paul
- Weak force mechanics have changed - W Bosons now decay to electrons and neutrinos
- Weak force changes - explosions now trigger decays
- Neutrinos! (they don't have fancy graphics yet)
- Chapters 6 and 7 updated to deal with this
- Menu controls (keyboard/controller) work now
- Activating the Steam Overlay now pauses the game
- Examination mode, Invincibility and 'Focus' mode use a fancy new shader
- Mouse-overing objects in examination mode highlights them
- Resolution options in menu!
- No more annoying options popup!
- Off-screen indicators are both prettier and break the game less
- Small bug fixes