Drifter 0.8.0 is now live! This is the first release in the 0.8.x series, codename "Event Horizon".
The biggest reason we're moving so quickly from 0.7.x to 0.8.x is that we've finally implemented Lua script support and in-game missions are now completely scriptable instead of the horrible mission templates we were using before.
Because the Lua API for Drifter is still very new we are currently not providing the raw Lua source for missions but I'm hoping by 0.8.1 or 0.8.2 or so they will be raw text files that you can play around with and even make your own missions!
There's been a bunch more polish as well and stuff continues to look better and better. That said, we'll give you a bit of a rundown of what's new and fixed below.
NOTE: Older savegames still work but any missions you have that were in progress will not be able to be continued because the new scriptable missions are not compatible.
- New Ship Status UI in the ship menu
- Displays all equipment installed on the ship
- Displays current ship statistics and status
- New HUD mail message notifications
- Messages now display read/unread state
- Displayed on the bottom left of the HUD
- And in the top left of the station headers
- New jump status information in the HUD
- New icons in the starmap and station views
- Ship menu now has icons and is neater
- New procedural mission system
- Missions are now fully scripted!
- This build includes improved versions of all existing mission types
- With the new system, mission types and variation will get rapidly better.
- Missions now visually formatted
- Missions now send you mail when completed
- Missions now display HUD messages
- Missions now check and display requirements
- i.e If you don't have cargo space for the mission item
- Missions now have random mission-specific responses
- Mission information in active list is now dynamic
- i.e Distance to targets, etc
- Missions display objectives more clearly
- Missions display state more clearly
- i.e Patrol missions show waypoint progress
- Information displayed by mission is mission specific
- Completion deadlines for urgent missions are clearer
- Terminate missions now spawn the enemy when close
- Fixes mission specific NPC's being killed before you arrive
- UI polish and improvements
- Main menu and pause menus visually polished
- UI headers now display in all station views
- Starmap search field now auto focuses
- Plot course and View system buttons in Starmap Search
- All tables and views polished further
- Assets view shows ship icon
- More scrollbar momentum and click improvements
- Can no longer use jump console while jump state is active
- Can no longer view the local station as a remote station
- Can no longer load when no save is selected
- Jump state save caused some ships to become “stuck”
- Afterburner sound no longer stays active while paused
- Table sorting now works (again!)