It's been a while, but a new update for System Shock 2 is now available. It contains the following fixes, improvements and modernisations:Windows, MacOS
- The EXE has been renamed from Shock2.exe to SS2.exe to avoid old Windows compatibilities being applied on game launch. You will need to restart Steam for the launcher to point to the new executable,
- Fixed the problem with battery not fully charging items sometimes,
- Partially fixed the problem with Pyro field glow effect never going away after saving and loading while active,
- The Recycler will no longer recycle equipped implants, preventing issues,
- Fixed many miscellaneous problems on doors, lights, and eggs,
- Fixed many upside down or badly rotated objects,
- Fixed many cases of rogue props on objects,
- Fixed quite a few cases of script duplication,
- Fixed a few extreme cases of objects floating off walls and floor,
- Fixed the almost completely broken 'Find Delacroix' quest,
- Fixed a couple of quests that were starting up or completing in a slightly buggy way
- Fixed all the broken piles of worms in the last few levels,
- Some tweaks to various existing setups to make them work smoother (explore the DML files if interested in details),
- Disruption grenades now actually deadly as per their description,
- Rick turrets now corpse normally,
- Grenade Hybrids now launch grenades from their hands instead of their abdomens,
- The starting controls now use WASD,
- The default music volume level has been lowered slightly,
- Enhanced Precision disabled by default as having it enabled was causing issues with Steam Overlay and Windows 10,
- The default resolution when starting the game is now 800x600,
- Fixed the Rick1 torpedo radiation area so it is not possible to progress without purging the radiation, as that could result the game getting into an unwinnable state,
- Few Rick1 areas were made less prone to unintentional falls,
- Restored the broken MedSci2 sub-armory code PDA note,
- Fixed some AIs failing to perform their scripted event under certain circumstances,
- Ops2 red assassin will trigger properly even when approached from the other side,
- Fixed some AIs not being affected by the Stasis Field Generator,
- Simplified the MEDSci broken door fix,
- A few membranes were moved a bit in the Many level,
- The Shotgun now has a muzzle flash,
- Navigation markers now properly identified by HUD, and can also be deleted by selecting,
- A few more fixes to some improper objects.
- The in-game UI is now set at a fixed resolution, and will scale better at high (1920x1080 and above) resolutions. If you wish to disable this change, open cam_ext.cfg in NotePad, and add a semicolon to the beginning of the line 'd3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 800 600'
- Fixed Wineskin locking on MacOS High Sierra,
- Updated Wine version from 1.8.1 to 2.16,
- If you are experiencing random crashes on MacOS, first back up the folders that contain your save games in 'System Shock 2 (dot) app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/System Shock 2/save_*/', Uninstall System Shock 2, making sure that the dotapp file has been removed, and then reinstall the game. Put your save game folders back in 'System Shock 2 (dot) app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Games/SS2/'.
Many thanks to "Le Corbeau" for providing the 2.46 patch, and to the community for many of the fixes provided here.This patch is only for the Windows and Mac version of the game right now.
Linux will receive the update soon.