Changes * Races native to Barren/Volcanic and Metallic types will no longer be able to colonize Oceanic and Toxic planets without Terraforming or special abilities. Terran and Arctic planets are also much less hospitable to them than before (reduced Habitable area). This change will not affect games started in prior versions.
Modding * Default Ship Design names can now be customized for each race.
Localization * Improved some German text in Random Events and elsewhere (contributed by Xyquas)
* Added a Hotkey for the Planet Management List (Alt+F9) * The cooldown for unloading troops to a planet will now carry over if the troop ship splits off to another task force * The Turn Event Message for refitting planetary defense platforms will no longer repeat
August 8, 2015 v188.8.131.52
Minor Improvements * Ground troops already landed on a planet will now display in blinking text on the map before combat prompts * Added extra tooltip info on the Galactic Council screen when it is the player's turn to vote - explaining all available choices * Boarding ships will now give experience even when the boarded ship self-destructs * Automatically retreating ships will now move away from the battle in the round prior to their exit from the battlefield
Minor Fixes * AI ships will now try to retreat more consistently when severely outnumbered * The Invade prompt will now be shown for non-combatants as well if they engage in battle
Modding * Race Holograms and their framecount can now be modded similar to all other game assets
This update makes ships and other vessels less fragile for a better combat experience in mid-to-late game. We hope you enjoy this and the other improvements noted below!
Balance changes: * Armor Absorption rates have been increased across the board * Bio-mechanical Armor repair rate increased * Bio-Energy Armor will no longer be affected by armor-piercing effects * Shields strength gains per level increased, recharge rate slightly reduced
* Vorpal weapons (Neutrino and Crystal cannons) chance for double hull damage has been decreased * Colony Missile and Beam Defense weapons quantity will now increase due to weapon level miniaturization
Other changes: * Non-combatant player ships will now automatically try to retreat in tactical combat so the player can focus on managing only combat ships * The Legend map for races now indicates friendlies in green and hostiles in red, tooltips have also been added to indicate their current relations with the player * Colony workforce distribution will no longer assign scientists if all research technologies are at maximum level * Losing a game due to bankruptcy now shows a custom News Bulletin indicative of the event rather than the generic loss version
Fixes: * A fix has been put in for a rare issue where ships could get stuck in a space flux unable to move for some time
July 28, 2015 v184.108.40.206
Starbases, Planetary defense bases are once again manually controllable in instanced combat. They were being automated with the last update.
With this update the crew of ships and other vessels will now gain experience points from combat which can increase crew rank. The ranks can be seen on ship stats plus their XP toward the next level. There are 5 ranks (Novice 0-10 XP, Veteran 10-30 XP, Elite 30-100 XP, Heroic 100-500 XP and Legendary 500+ XP). Ranks provide bonuses in combat to ships toward targeting, defense, critical strikes and boarding combat.
Other changes * Invade orders will no longer count or use troops from other task forces in the same system if they have different invasion targets. * Non-combatant ships will now flee from their own systems if their side is losing the battle. * On Invasion a colony's native race will now be shown correctly instead of the occupying race. * Overtaking an outpost from another race without a population will now set the native race to the occupying race if they can live on the planet. * Embargo pacts are now cleared automatically when relations turn non-hostile * Colonization orders will now display an ETA if the target planet is in a different sector * Expiring armistice pacts will now give a turn message * Newly built ships will no longer count toward defending a planet (annulling a blockade check) until a full turn has passed.
Another batch of minor improvements based on community feedback/reports. Have a good weekend everyone!
* Taking over colonies via Invasion now sets them surveyed similar to colonizing planets * Troop ships with the Invade order will no longer abort their order if unable to land troops on the first attempt (if the planet is protected) and will keep re-trying * Retreating troop ships from a battle will now be considered for landing troops as long as the battle is won for their side
* Immaterial and Quasi-Immortal racial effects will now be checked based on the planet population race and not the occupier
* Allied ships will no longer continue firing on player captured (former enemy) ships during a battle, immediately recognizing who has taken control of the ship * Fixed a minor bug which allowed the player hovering over a cloaked/invisible ship to be able to attack it even when it was undetected
* Added a combat log message when ships are destroyed * Added non-combatant count on the combat prompt tooltip detailing each side's fleet composition