They are complaining about:
- side-quests: they breaks up the exploration.
- combat: not engaging.
- automatic saving: does not help.
- player dies a lot.
- inventory: management is a nightmare
- humor: well, humour is very subjective. A lot of people hates Jim Carrey's humor.
All comments are refered to the "demo" zone: the traps and fecundation quests, the "orcs" (goblins of the mine), so that makes me suspect that the person who did the review just played a few, and did not even use any of the magic schools, or played all other side-quests of the game, or challenges, or multiplayer, etc.
Sumarising, I'm afraid that the wrong person voted the game, and his score is so important that is decreasing the score of Unepic that hundred of thousands of people are seeing in the Steam shop 5 points down (from 7,3 to 6,8).
I am going to write them asking to revise the review, or be it rewritten by someone who played further. Also will ask what side-quests they don't like, why inventory is a nightmare, tell them that there will be a "sort inventory" option in next patch, that there is a "salvation ring" available that tells you when the game is autosaved, and that there are tones of spells to have fun with.
The more comments disagreeing the review, the more strength to make them change their mind. So, if you are playing Unepic and you think that the note and the review is unfair, please leave a comment telling what you disagree:
Extra items have been finally included in the Steam version of Unepic.
They are a set of special items that are sold by Gualix, a goblin seller in the bottom/right room from the central box.
Instead of coins, these items are purchased using "unepic credits", that is a special currency earned by completing challenges.
This new currency is shown in the top bar next to the coins icon.
In the challenge section of the menú (menu > challenges) you will find how many "unepic credits" you can earn by completing them (only visible in those challenges that have been already discovered).
Once you complete a challenge, all your characters (the one you are playing with, the ones you have saved in the cloud, and the ones you may create in the future) will be rewarded with these "unepic credits". So the more challenges you complete, the more "unepic credits" will all your characters have.
This means that if you earn 100 unepic credits, all new characters will start with those 100 credits.
If you spend them purchasing a special item, only the current character will lose the "unepic credits" needed for that item. All other characters will keep untouched.
Finally, if you already completed challenges, you will automatically receive all corresponding "unepic credits".
NOTE: This could be the final update from 1.43.XX
In next update version will be raised to 1.44 and will have new features you will enjoy.
- changed: there can be more than one dialog in a room. They all must be occupied.
- new: "checkpoint" convert dialogs in a room in dialog checkpoints that sets the respawn position of all players.
- new: 11 tools: floors, platforms, walls and ladders that appears when kiling all enemies, liting all lights or showing a dialog.
- new: architect tool called "presence" that activates all things activable by a lever when a hero pass nearby. Perfect for traps.
- changed: Now spiked balls of boss Arbolus kicks you back.
- changed: Now spiked balls of boss Arbolus also poisons in easy mode.
- changed: New image for golden boxes.
- fixed: chat can now be invoked using a letter.
- changed: Default key for chat is T instead of Insert.
- New: Now doors also admit keys to be opened.
- Fixed: name/description of bulldozer, starfish and initial positions were wrong.
- Fixed: barrel with essences only gave red essences.
- Fixed: description of liftgates were wrong.
- Fixed: the breakable wall is now working ok.
- fixed: some extra items disappeared.
- Fixed a crash that triggered when you included more than 64 creatures in a single screen.
- Fixed a crash that triggered when removing walls from the edges of the map enabling the code to think you are stepping into "nothingness" in terms of memory
- Fixed a crash that triggered when the map attempted to work with decorations in a way that it wasn't ready for in memory. **
- Fixed a bug that doubled up entries on the "create game" listing as it read both "Maps" and "Dat" files as applicable files to update.
- Updated some debugging tools/logs to assist in troubleshooting the evasive "save/crash" bug
- Fixed a bug that caused items from the previous room (through doors or left/right transitions) that caused objects in previous rooms to affect the current room. (Levers, spikes, etc)
Extra items have been included in the single player mode.
Get more information here:
- fixed: DUMP ERROR fixed when having more than 256 items+architects+spells+recipes.
- changed: Now tutorial lines (like "press ENTER to open the chest") includes the mapped key and the mapped controller button instead of the default key.
- new: included a sound when doing a critital attack.
- new: A new type of maps have been included: the "official maps" that are dungeons created by architects that have been approved and included in Unepic.
- new: 5 new official maps for DEATHMATCH have been included (created by daver45).
- fixed: "corrupted data" should not appear any more the first time a game is created.
- fixed: a room in "exploring a hole" was changed to prevent some goblins being isolated when a floor disappear.
- changed: HP of chests in MP reduced to be broken with a single strike of mace or axe, like in single player.
- changed: ghost axe damage reduced from 200% to 100% of you axe's damage.
- new: the editor creates a security copy of the current map everytime the map is saved. So you will have all versions since the beginning of a map.
- new: An error message appears when exceding the maximum number of monsters in a room (64).
- fixed: Fixed a bug that prevented a custom map to be loaded if it reached the maximum number of monsters in a room.
- changed: currency for architect items changed from statues to coins, making them virtually free.
Seeing that LAG is an important problem, I am working in a new way of communication to prevent big lags.
It is not yet implemented but we can see how much lag it will produce and, therefore, see if it worths or not.
While playing, in the TOP-LEFT corner there will be 2 lag numbers (instead of 1).
TOP - It is the current lag with the current system.
BOTTOM - it is the lag with the new system. This one should be equal or smaller than the current one.
If you have problems of lag with your friends, please test it, examine both lag figures, compare them and explain here what do you see. Is the second lag constant?
I have received a lot of emails with great voices.
Casting IS NOW CLOSED. It's time to go a step forward and decide who will give their voices.
After seeing how great the game looks (sounds) witht the Spanish dubbing, I feel very anxious to provide English voices to dialogs in Unepic.
I am looking for voice actors for this purpose, and for this I am doing a small casting of actors that will finish at the end of August.
The dubbing will take place in September and October and will be paid.
If you are interested, you have some dubbing background and you are technically prepared to record clean sound, please send me an email to "unepicgame[at]gmail.com" and I will send you the material needed for the casting.