This month we start with a special demo of the console build of the game, showing off the completely redesigned interface.
Our new features:
Guard Towers + Snipers You can now build guard towers around your prison for an extra level of security, intimidation, and force.
- New entity type : Snipers
Hired from the staff menu.
These guys will equip themselves with a scoped sniper rifle from the armoury, if you have one.
They will then take turns manning the guard towers you have built.
- Snipers will project 'Suppression' to all prisoners within their line of sight.
- Rules of engagement
When snipers see trouble occuring, they will fire warning shots.
If three warning shots are ignored, they will shoot to kill.
If you have enabled "Freefire" they will always shoot to kill, without warning.
They will also shoot to kill if they see an escaping prisoner already outside the prison secure zone.
Secure Visitation Booths You can now build secure visitation booths in your visitation room if you choose, instead of the usual tables.
A secure visitation booth has a glass panel that seperates the inmate from the family member, and they use a phone to talk.
- No contraband can be imported through a totally secure visitation room
- However the inmates family needs will not be satisfied nearly as well
- Nb. There must be a complete seperation of visitors and inmates for a room to be considered secure.
Mod API updates Scripted interface buttons now correctly pass click callbacks to the script that created them.
This allows scripts to add interactions to other objects in the game world.
- Dormitories of 40 or more squares will now get their own sector for the purposes of guard deployment and security zoning
New Translations Japanese
Bug Fixes - Fixed: 2x3 Dormitories with a bunkbed will now correctly accept 2 prisoners
- 0010359: [AI & Behaviour] Doctors not treating during Virus Outbreak Event
- 0010445: [AI & Behaviour] Overdosed prisoners put in solitary instead of infirmary
- 0010477: [Gameplay] Intake System brings in wrong amounts of certain levels of prisoners
- 0010333: [Gameplay] Fill to capacity improvement
- 0010438: [Control & User Interface] CI window shows two % signs rather than one
- 0010352: [AI & Behaviour] Nasty change in the priority of the job assignment
- 0010461: [Gameplay] Contraband scan cooldown causing problems
- 0010459: [Control & User Interface] Suspicion percentage is displayed twice
- 0006604: [Control & User Interface] Double billing of reform programs
- 0010437: [AI & Behaviour] Multiple mailrooms do not work
- 0010480: [Gameplay] Intake not calculated properly
- 0008937: [Control & User Interface] Carpentry Apprenticeship
- 0010452: [Gameplay] Dormitories and adjacent rooms counts as one room
- 0010322: [Gameplay] Prisoners not being taken to Dormitories
- 0010298: [Gameplay] 2x3 dorms dont get extra prisoner space
- 0010472: [AI & Behaviour] Opened mail thrown throughout Holding Cell
- 0010453: [AI & Behaviour] Laundry taken from Dormitorys
- 0006883: [Mod System] Allow mods to augment the selected object popup
- 0010367: [AI & Behaviour] Prisoners get ReadBook status and freeze in place
- 0010417: [Control & User Interface] Policy screen in female prisons says "HIM"
- 0010471: [AI & Behaviour] Laundry Room uniforms in odd piles
- 0010095: [Performance] One specific prison that has updated across mutiple alphas is experincing 1sec freezing every 10sec
- 0010468: [AI & Behaviour] Shower Drainage Behaviour Issues
- 0010370: [Performance] Extreme low FPS with many idle prisoners.
- 0010348: [Other] Open mails spawning from my inmates
Women's Prisons You can now choose the gender of your prisoners in the "New Prison" screen.
Female prisoners have different needs and behave differently than male prisoners.
- Children : Some female prisoners are mothers of young babies (less than two years old)
and are entitled to look after their baby during their stay in your prison.
This requires some new facilities - often called "MBUs (Mother and Baby Units)"
- Family Cell : A new type of cell for mothers with babies only.
Similar to a normal cell, but also requires a Cot and an integrated Shower.
Nb these cells will never be assigned to female prisoners without babies.
- Nursery : A shared room for all mothers to live in, typically isolated from the rest of the prison.
Mothers will spend much of their time in this room with their babies.
Requires cots and play mats for the babies.
- Mothers will eat their meals in this room, so it also requires a serving table, benches etc.
Your kitchens will be assigned to cook meals for the nurseries as if they were canteens.
Modding API (continued) - Added world and world cell data variables to the scripting API.
This includes getting the size of the world, time index, etc.
Setting these variables, however, is currently unsupported.
- A new interface scripting API has been included as well.
Mods can now add, remove, and change buttons in the BiographyWindow (shown when you select a non-prisoner object in the world), with callbacks to it's script.
- Modding in escape mode has also been improved by allowing player interaction on scripted objects.
A callback to the script is given when the player is close to an object and interacts with it.
- General performance enhancements, especially to laundry system.
New Translations Danish, Dutch, Hungarian, Thai
Bug Fixes - Needs.txt not loaded in correct order when using mods
- 0010162: [Gameplay] Surrendering in escape mode causes insane amounts of rep points / surrendering doesn't work
- 0010309: [Control & User Interface] [Prison Architect] Crash when opening confidential informant window
= Shared Cells - New room type: Dormitory
- New furniture: Bunk Beds
A Dormitory can house any number of prisoners, based on the number of beds installed
Dormitories can be small eg 2x3, replacing the normal Cell, allowing for two or more inmates to share a cell together
Or Dormitories can be large, with shared showers, toilets, phones, tvs, recreational facilities etc.
Better facilities will result in a higher room grading, which will have a positive effect on your inmates
= Prisoner Intake (continued) There are now several different modes of Intake that can be set for your prison
Choose your mode from the Intake report
- CLOSED No inmates will be brought to your prison
- FILL CAPACITY Inmates will be brought into your prison when available, until your available capacity is full
- TOTAL PRISONERS You set the total number of prisoners desired, and the Intake system works to fill that number
- NUM PER DAY You choose the number of prisoners to bring in each day (The old method)
- ALL All available prisoners will be brought in every day
= Escape mode (continued) Escape mode was deemed too easy and unbalanced, and several features have been nerfed.
- Damage done to a prison and its staff is now repaired automatically,
once the player surrenders or is knocked out.
- All staff killed are replaced with new hires
- All fires are extinguished
- Burnt down walls now get construction jobs created to replace them
- All ranged weapons now have limited ammo.
Nb you can press G to drop the current weapon.
- Shotgun : 6 shots
- Pistol : 6 shots
- Tazer : 1 shot
- Assault rifle : 30 shots
- If you steal an item from a room, there is now a three hour timer before that item can be stolen again from that room.
This will put a stop to whole teams of escapees stealing knives from the kitchen.
Nb these timers end instantly when the player surrenders or is knocked out.
- Reputations rebalanced
- Skilled fighter: chance to disarm opponent now reduced to 20% per hit, down from 30%
- Extremely deadly: chance to kill reduced to 15% per hit, down from 30%
- Ranged weapons are no longer made more powerfull by the Strong/Deadly reputations
- Ranged weapons no longer disarm opponents when the attacker has the Skilled Fighter rep
- Improved game over screen to stack up victims in the same way as the intake report's prisoner preview.
- Gangs rebalanced Rebalanced the chances of gang members and leaders arriving,
to make gangs a more likely occurance.
- Doubled the chances of receiving gang members at intake
- The chance of an incoming gang member being a leader is now much higher
- The probability of receiving a gang leader also increases as the size of the gang increases.
- New translations Greek, Romanian, Swedish, Turkish, Spanish, Portuguese
= BUG FIXES - no more saving on escape mode gameover screen
- Items still loaded on trucks dont get search jobs during shakedown
- deployment menu has the correct default selected based on your research
- fog of war turns on sooner on GABOS level
- error sound only plays once when unable to afford objects
Changes in Version 1.0:
Campaign Story The perfect place to start for new players.
Chapter 1 : Death Row (The Introduction from the Alpha)
Chapter 2 : Palermo
Chapter 3 : GABOS
Chapter 4 : Conviction
Chapter 5 : Bootstraps
Escape Mode You can now load any prison, and attempt to escape from it, in this brand new game mode.
Steam customers can load any Steam Workshop prison, or even use the 'Random'
button to be sent to a random steam workshop prison. (Experimental)
There is a 'HELP' button that you can click on, in the bottom right of the screen.
Use WASD to move around, and aim with the mouse.
- You can steal weapons and tools from all the rooms you'd expect.
- Stash your contraband to avoid being caught
- Earn Reputation points by starting fights and smashing up furniture.
You will receive bonuses for knocking people unconcious, and additional bonuses for kills.
Spend those points to upgrade your character with any of these reputations:
Strong You hit harder
Tough You can take more hits
Deadly You have a chance to kill with one hit
Quick You can run faster (hold SHIFT)
Instigator Nearby prisoners will fight when you do
Skilled Fighter You can disarm opponents
- You can also spend rep points to recruit other prisoners to your group.
They will follow you around and will assist during fights.
- If you have a digging tool you can dig an escape tunnel from the toilet in your cell.
- Win the game by escaping with your entire team.
Collectables There are two types of collectable item in the game.
As you discover them they will be added to the Extras menu.
- Polaroids : All story based polaroids. Some are shown during cutscenes.
Some only occur in the sandbox and must be found.
- Game Bible : The game design notebook has been scanned and can now be found
throughout your prison. Keep your eyes out for scraps of paper on the floor within the sandbox.
Click on those scraps to unlock another page.
Special Wardens You can now select from one of six wardens, when creating a new prison.
Each Warden brings a special ability to the game.
- The Warden : The default warden, offers no special abilities.
- The Lobbyist : Halves likelyhood of Violent/Lethal/Deadly inmates arriving
- Rita : Diminishes effect of Stoical / Fearless. Doubles effect of Suppression.
- J.W.Periwinkle : Guard dogs have a 50% chance to immediately uncover tunnels
- The Pacifier : Permanent 25 point reduction in prison temperature
- Saphara Acknova: Corruption! Receives a backhand payment for all contraband found
Translations We are working to translate the game into as many languages as possible.
More languages will be coming in the first update.
We currently have translations for:
English, Czech, Finnish, French, German,
Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish,
Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese
Education grant (continued) The education grant has been rebalanced and made easier.
You now need 10 prisoners to pass the foundation course, and 1 prisoner to pass the general education course.
Event System (continued) The event system has been rebalanced and is now much less destructive.
Specifically, the 'politician demand' event and the 'Virus outbreak' event have been nerfed.
Events occur far less frequently.
Many other small tweaks to make the event system better.
BUG FIXES Hundreds of fixes and improvements were added in the run up to v1.0.
In addition, the following Mantis bugs were fixed:
- 0002935: [Gameplay] Guard dogs kill prisoners (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009914: [AI & Behaviour] Doctors Wont Heal Sick Prisoners. (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009911: [Gameplay] 'Virus Outbreak' event is near 'unbeatable' (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009970: [Gameplay] Perimeter walls cannot be rebuilt after events (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0005691: [Graphics] Unconscious prisoners appear as a black box on screen when in a medical bed. (supersampling fault?) (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009954: [Save & Load] Virus outbreak not saved (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009931: [Control & User Interface] Gang members not displayed in gang view (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0008149: [AI & Behaviour] Dead parole lawyer won't be taken away from morgue to hearse (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009891: [AI & Behaviour] Dead prisoners pile up in Infirmary (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009924: [AI & Behaviour] Prisoners developing extra hands during combat when handcuffed - (and killing an impossibly high number of gaurds) (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009826: [Other] Internal Clock error (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0006453: [Other] Bankruptcy timer runs out in less than 24 hours (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0007397: [AI & Behaviour] Lockdown/Solitary timers run at different rate to game clock (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009912: [Gameplay] Federal witness countdown is lost after reloading game (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009926: [Graphics] Empty tray being fed (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009938: [Graphics] Maximum Safe Capacity unreadable (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009915: [AI & Behaviour] Sick prisoners are completely ignored by doctors and paramedics (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009890: [Gameplay] federal witness in death row (Icepick) - resolved.
This is the last ever alpha video for Prison Architect, and we will be launching version 1.0 in October. But fear not! We are planning to continue the cycle of monthly updates beyond version 1.0, including new videos to go with each update each month.
Here are our new features:
= Random event system
Random incidents, disasters and challenges will occur during your game, providing extra difficulty and unpredictability.
This is an optional system, and is enabled from the "Create new prison" screen.
- Events will not happen during riots, or if you have less than 50 prisoners on site
- Events are less likely if there have been deaths and escapes recently.
- Sometimes, rarely, several events may occur at once.
- All events have an EXTREME version, which is very rare, and much more severe.
- POWER STATION FIRE
Your power station catches fire. Can only occur if your powerstation is overloaded.
EXTREME version: Your power station explodes, damaging buildings/equipment/people nearby.
- KITCHEN FIRE
A cooker in the kitchen catches fire. This can cause havok with your mealtime arrangements!
We recommend you build sprinkler systems in key areas to mitigate this.
- BULK INTAKE
A random number of prisoners will be transferred into your facility within the next hour.
EXTREME version: All of the prisoners belong to the same gang, and you are probably fucked.
- WORKSHOP ACCIDENT
A prisoner injures himself on the equipment in the workshop, and requires medical attention.
Prisoners injured this way get the "Bleeding" status effect. Get them to a doctor quick!
A random section of your wall or fence collapses. Get it rebuilt before we have a mass escape!
We always recommend double outer walls, and this gives yet another good reason.
A prisoner comes down with a highly contagious virus. The virus will spread to nearby inmates, so try to isolate them.
Prisoners suffering from this virus will look sickly, move slowly, and vomit a lot. Some will fall unconcious.
Your guards will try to take confirmed cases to the infirmary for cure.
Some inmates will go to the infirmary themselves, but only when they are let out their cells.
EXTREME version: Some prisoners will eventually die from the virus if left untreated.
- MASS ASSASSINATION
You discover that several inmates at your prison are federal witnesses in an upcoming prosecution.
Unfortunately, somebody has put a price on their heads and they will all be assassinated in the next few hours.
Find out who there are (using your Confidential Informants), and get them moved to Protected Custody.
Once the timer hits zero, they will all leave the prison to attend the court hearing, and will not return.
(Most likely living out their lives in federal witness protection, holding their breath every time they start their cars)
- CITY MAYOR DEMANDS
The Mayor is under political pressure to appear to be doing the right thing.
He will from time to time phone you and demand certain changes to your prison, in the public interest.
The demand is always temporary - after a few days, things return to normal.
However Failure to comply will result in a heavy fine.
- TV Removal Due to public pressure, all TVs must be removed
- Weights Removal Due to public pressure, all Weights Benches must be removed
- Less Food Provide smaller meals with less variety, to try to save on costs
- Remove Visitation For security reasons, all visitation must be halted
- PRISONER DEMANDS
From time to time the prisoners in your facility become so frustrated that they demand changes.
It's your choice to comply or not, but the prisoners will not be happy if you refuse.
- Less Work Prisoners wish to work for less hours during the day
- More Sleep Prisoners want longer to sleep at night
- More Free Time Prisoners want more free time during the day
- Logs will now be automatically exported, unless EITHER
- You have at least one carpenters table
- OR You have a running carpentry program
Nb. This obviously requires an Exports zone near the road.
- The CEO's letter is now made of a graphic and a (localisable) string in the language file.
This should make it much easier to translate into multiple languages.
= Bug Fixes
- 0009322: [AI & Behaviour] The mere presence of a shop is stopping prisoners from wanting to do carpentry (Icepick) - resolved.
- 0009713: [Other] Crash after Assertion failed : 'index < m_numItems' (John) - resolved.
- 0009842: [Gameplay] CRASH: The attached savegame crashes within minutes (John) - resolved.
- 0009701: [Gameplay] Fatal error with lots of dead bodys stuck. (John) - resolved.
- 0009623: [Control & User Interface] Weird Mini-Sectors in doorways (John) - resolved.
- 0000515: [Graphics] Garbage bag sprite overlays garbage bin sprite (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009806: [Mod System] Lua scripting: .GetNearbyObjects() range values are strings, not numbers (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0009716: [Mod System] Lua scripting: this.SubType is always type string, even if I specifically set it to a number (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0009499: [Graphics] Phone taps and Filling Cabinets bug (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009559: [Graphics] Layering (z-index) issue with outdoor lights and trees (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009543: [Graphics] Layering (z-index) issue with door control and filing cabinet against wall (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009588: [Graphics] Layering (z-index): light vs. sprinkler flickering (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009589: [Graphics] Layering (z-index): light vs. cctv camera (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009709: [Graphics] Layering (z-index) issue: lights vs. road gate pillar (lim_ak) - resolved.
- 0009647: [Save & Load] Save crash! (John) - resolved.
- 0009715: [Mod System] Lua scripting: this.SubType is -1 if accessed during Create() function (elDiablo) - resolved.
- 0009585: [Other] Assertion failed : 'm_cellCache.ValidIndex( newCachedIndex )' (John) - resolved.
- 0006776: [Save & Load] Fatal error during load save file. (John) - resolved.