Whoa! We just blasted out a massive update to Planetary Annihilation! We expanded the game's core feature set by improving our already fantastic in-game Twitch support, we added new area commands to make your interplanetary battles that much more incredible, and we added unit formations, pinging, and a whole lot more.
We have also been doing a lot of work to improve performance. Client performance is a lot more smooth on a number of fronts and the server has also been getting quite a bit love. Please make sure your graphics drivers and systems are up to date. OpenGL support on Mac has been limited to 3.2+. We no longer have 2.1 legacy Open GL support.
Here's a comprehensive list of all the new things we've added in this massive-huge-big update.
- Alternate Fire Button (Default map: u); This is your Uber Cannon button. You can much more easily use the uber cannon now
- Area load / unload: Works with terrestrial transports and the Astraeus.
- Area Patrol for ground units is working!
- Lots of particle system additions and changes
- Skins for all the new units we've been bringing in
- New Planet Template Type: Desert
- Lots of changes to AI; Make use of the Economic Scale in the lobby in vs. AI games to tune their difficulty. They have gotten much smarter. And will continue to get smarter.
Other Technical Stuff!
- Twitch support for in-game chat (ctrl-enter for Twitch chat)
- Units now have individual celestial travel speeds ; they are no longer all using the exact same numbers for travel speed
- Unit formation support: Still WIP, but units now form up ranks and attempt to maintain consistent speeds to approach targets as a group.
- Support for Map Ping
- New Steam SDK includes 64 libraries for linux ; Hopefully this will help some Steam integration issues in 64-bit linux
- OpenGL 3.2 or newer is required on OS/X now. We no longer support legacy 2.1 Open GL, as it was hurting performance for almost all Mac users.
- Bug Fix: Assist tasks will now end if assist target moves to another celestial body
- Most instances of units bouncing at the bottom of a teleport gate should be fixed
- Beam Weapons/Instant Hit exists as a weapon type now. They are only used by a few units currently (orbital laser, flack cannon and sniper bot)
- Orbital pathing visualization can now be hidden in cinematic mode
- Attacking larger buildings should be more reliable now. Units can calculate a valid firing solution based off the entire unit (OBB), rather than just the center point.
- Weapon support for splash damage fall off - Which means point blank on a weapon can have one damage value, but the splash, as you get further away from ground zero, can start to fall off.
- Some fundamental UI changes. This MAY break mods.
- Lots of additions and changes to Unit JSON data ; Expect to have to update your spreadsheets and other stuff to account for this
- This build notes may continue to be updated actively for the next few days, but assume there are far more things NOT called out than are actually called out!
Boot up Planetary Annihilation and check out all these new, and fantastic, changes. And get ready for our next update, which will change the way you interact with the game.