I hope everyone had a great Christmas! V20 Stable was released on Steam on Christmas Eve, and it is a new version of the game that contains all the changes from the past three months of Experimental builds. There's still a couple of relatively rare or minor bugs in the game we will patch out in the next week or two, but it contains a LOT of new features and is a pretty stable experience.
The biggest news is the new UI for the strategic part of the game, which looks better and functions better than the old one. It also changes as the game progresses, reflecting your increasing tech level. Well worth a look at!
I've highlighted some of the other important changes below, but it is by no means an exhaustive list (exhaustive list here[www.goldhawkinteractive.com]
). Firing the game up is really the best way to see what's changed!
- New UI: Every Geoscape management screen has been revamped with new graphics and usually a new layout. This a massive change and completely alters the feel of the game.
- Improved Balance: There has been a LOT of work done on the game balance, far too much to list.
- Aerial Terror Sites: These have been added to the Geoscape, and represent the aliens bombing infrastructure.
- Game Size: The game has been reduced in size from 5gb to 2gb with some image compression magic.
- New Art: There's a lot of new art in the game, particularly in the Xenopedia (captured alien art etc). Almost all the ground tiles have been painted over now as well.
- New Maps: There's quite a lot of new maps that have been added to the game, as well as more randomisation of them.
- AI Improvements: The AI is more advanced than before and now capable of using grenades.
- New Animations: There are new animations for gibs, healing, jetpacks, Reaper attacks and some types of explosion. The gib one is particularly nice!
- Accuracy System: This has been revamped to make friendly fire less frequent and misses look less ridiculous.
- Explanatory Tooltips: If this menu option is selected, some explanation screens appear the first time you access the Geoscape, Air Combat and Ground Combat. These provide basic instruction on how to play the game.
(to be patched, please do not report)
- There's an occasional hidden movement screen hang, caused by an AI loop.
- The end-of-mission screen has 0s for everything. This is because it is going to be replaced with an upgraded screen and scoring system shortly.
- Soldiers sometimes come back from battle with 98% health when they have taken no damage.
- Some of the early aliens can be rather passive at times due to an AI quirk we're working on.