This patch contains a lot of behind the scenes changes that aren’t very visible. We’ve been able to make significant savings on our infrastructure by moving our data center. That’s not really noticeable to you except that we can move more funds from our infrastructure costs towards development going forward. Updating our game server build was the final step of this process.
We also found what we believe to be the infamous game server crash bug. While it’s hard to test this without putting it under load we are confident that we have fixed at least one of the issues that could cause this to happen. If you do experience a game server crash please report it right away so we can grab the logs. Your help led to the fix of the current crash bug.
We are experimenting with adding more chat options to the client with a roadmap of having a chat in the lobby, play area, and teams. We’ve added chat to the guilds area to further test our chat server. While it’s not perfect at this point, it will allow us to start gathering metrics and tweak it while it’s live. This way, when we do release it in a more high traffic feature it will be more polished and ready. So, think of the chat in guilds as an open beta.
This release contains our Exclusive Pioneer Armor Set that is given to players who purchased Forge before it went F2P. I know it’s not the completely new modeled Armor Set that you deserve, but we’re trying to do the best we can with the resources we have. The Shaman didn’t make it into this release but will make it into the next one. More on the next release below.
These patch notes are intended to highlight the most significant changes but don’t cover every modification to the game as part of this update.
Key New Features:
- Guilds Chat – The Guilds page now contains a chat room to help guilds recruit new players and communicate about upcoming games.
- Game Server Crash Bug – An issue with the game server collecting inventory items that was causing infinite loops has been fixed.
- Organized Play – The main menu item “Community” was changed to “Organized Play” in preparation for Teams.
- Play Guild Game – The sub-menu item “Guild Group” was changed to be less confusing.
- Low Population Matching – The matchmaker will now override game-types and match players together during low population times of the day.
- Pioneer Armor Sets – Exclusive Pioneer Armor Sets for the Assassin, Pathfinder, Pyromancer, and Warden were given to players who purchased Forge before it went F2P.
Looking to the future we have another patch coming down the pipeline. 1.15 is expected to be in Closed Beta within the next couple weeks with Teams being the main feature. Teams was a community experiment where you all helped design this feature. Looking further to next month we plan on improving the new play experience.
Thanks for all of your support and look forward to seeing you all in Forge!