The brand new expansion for Age of Empires II HD, The African Kingdoms, is out now! It comes with 4 new civilizations (Berbers, Malians, Ethiopians, and Portuguese), 4 new campaigns, several new generic units and technology, Sudden Death game mode, and more.
For more information, visit the Store page
and check out our notes on patch 4.4.
AGE2: Patch: Version 4.4
We are excited to announce some of the changes coming with the release of the African Kingdoms expansion. Learn more about them below.
African Kingdoms Expansion:
- The new expansion has been fully integrated into the game.
- The unified lobby has been expanded to support the new game options.
- Non-purchased campaigns/datasets are visible and link to Steam for purchase.
- New civilizations have been added to the multiplayer rotating civilization pool.
- New civilizations have been added to the History page.
- Campaign icons have been integrated throughout the game to show what expansion various options and items come from.
- The red helmet represents Age of Kings.
- The blue helmet represents The Conquerors.
- The green helmet represents The Forgotten.
- The yellow mask represents The African Kingdoms.
- Dataset icons have been integrated throughout the game to show what dataset is needed.
- The single star represents the Original Game content.
- The multi star represents the Expansion content.
- Various icon transparency issues have been fixed.
- Lobby Browser Reset button now correctly resets Dataset back to Any.
- Selecting Spectator in the Lobby no longer locks out player colors.
- Selecting Custom AI now loads correctly.
- Tech Tree unit range is now correctly shown in the help text popup.
- Tech Tree Imperial Camel unit now correctly shows for the Indians.
- Tech Tree Dock units now correctly line up with their upgrades.
- Loading screens now display game setup information.
- Hot keys have been updated to include new units and Palisade Gates.
- Hot keys should now be showing up correctly and not as question marks.
- Hot keys should now be saving correctly when changed.
- Music/Master volumes no longer alter your PCs mixer setting.
- Full Screen Desktop option now updates correctly when selected.
- Record Campaign Games is now an option.
- DLC options are now selectable when creating a scenario.
- Units, triggers and terrain filter appropriately based on DLC options.
- Testing a scenario no longer records a replay.
- Scenario Details have been added to the Save Scenario Screen.
- Campaign Editor Screen has been updated with UI improvements.
- Campaign Editor now correctly displays the scenarios within a Campaign.
- Many missing strings have been added across all languages.
- Various cut off issues have been fixed by shortening strings or increasing the text field.
- Some grammar, spelling and formatting issues have been fixed.
- In game Help text should now be displayed correctly for all units.
- In game modded taunts are now correctly displayed in the chat window.
- In game Diplomacy help cursor now functions correctly.
- In game the Chinese civilization now correctly starts with 6 villagers.
- Completing a Campaign scenario now correctly returns to the Scenario Selection screen.
- Restarting a Replay now functions correctly.
- Deleting a Saved Game or Replay no longer selects the top entry.
- Game Details have been added to the Load Saved Game Screen.
- Game Launcher should now function correctly for Windows 10.
- Script error reporting for RMS has been improved.
- 1000 win achievements have been removed.
- Pre-order achievement has been expanded to include early adopting so purchasing either expansion with in the first few weeks of launch grants the achievement.
- Knights +20% HP changed to Cavalry +20% HP.
- (Elite) Throwing Axeman +0.1 speed.
- Cavalry Archers cost -10% Castle Age/-20% Imperial Age (instead of -25%/-30%).
- Marauders cost changed from 500f/200g to 300w/200g.
- Couriers now gives +1/+2 armor instead of +10% movement speed.
- Receive Keep.
- Receive Guilds.
- Receive Block Printing.
- Receive Thumb Ring.
- Slingers no longer require castle.
- Villagers cost -10% Dark, -15% Feudal, -20% Castle, -25% Imperial Age (5% extra per age).
- Receive Guilds.
- Receive Ring Archer Armor.
- Elephant Archer +30 HP.
- Elite Elephant Archer -20 HP.
- (Elite) Elephant Archer -1 pierce armor.
- (Elite) Elephant Archer -10 food (now costs 100 food, 80 gold).
- Condottiero no longer require castle.
- Condottiero +1 attack, +0.2 speed.
- Receive Hussars.
- Pavise now affects all Foot Archers (instead of just Genoese Crossbowmen).
- Pavise cost changed from 550f/300g to 300f/150g.
- Advancing to the next age 15% cheaper (instead of 10%).
- Yasama cost changed from 400w/300f to 300w/300f.
- Turtle ship no longer requires Castle.
- Panokseon cost changed from 400w/400f to 300w/300f.
- Obsidian Arrows now do +6 damage instead of +4.
- Resources lasting longer reduced from 20% to 15%.
- Farming rate fixed to 1.31 rather than 1.18. Actual farming rate is now at +15% (+15% after wheelbarrow, +5% after handcart).
- Missionaries no longer require castle.
- Inquisition cost changed from 400f/400g to 300g/100f.
- Ironclad cost changed from 500w/350g to 400w/350g.
- Longboats no longer require castle.
- Longboat cost restored to 100w, 50g (original AoC cost).
- Chieftains cost changed from 700f/400g to 400f/300g and effect +1 bonus attack.
- Eagle warrior upgrade cost changed from 300f/200g to 200f/200g.
- Eagle warrior speed from 1.1 to 1.2 (Eagle Scout is 1.1, Elite Eagle Warrior is 1.3).
- Eagle Scout available from the Feudal Age.
- Fire Galleys and Demolition rafts newly added to the Feudal Age.
- Siege Towers newly added to the Castle Age.
- Banking and Coinage research time increased from 50s to 70s.
- Banking cost increased from 200f/100g to 300f/200g.
- Coinage cost increased from 150f/50g to 200f/100g.
- Cavalry Archer cost reduced to 40w/60g.
- Trade Cogs carry +30% more per trip.
- Transport ships can carry herdable animals.
- Fire ships +1 armor/+1 ship armor.
- Fast Fire ships +1 armor/+2 ship armor.
- Scorpion projectile size increased (fixes their lack of pass-through damage).
- Camels are no longer classified as ships.