We’ve been a bit quiet about Don’t Starve in the last few months, but we’ve been hard at work. Today I’d like to announce a few new things that we’ve been working on:
Don’t Starve: Hamlet
The first thing to announce is that we’ve been working on another Don’t Starve singleplayer DLC! Wilson has found the portal to the origins of the Pigmen, and he’s off to explore their civilization. There may be some bushwhacking and tomb raiding involved, too.
Hamlet will be available in Q1/Q2 2018. More information will be shown as we get closer to launch.
You can check out the store page for screenshots and wishlist it here.http://store.steampowered.com/app/712640/Dont_Starve_Hamlet
Don’t Starve: Shipwrecked Content Update
We have a little surprise for you: Shipwrecked is getting more content! We have added the following to the game as a free update.
In order to test these changes, we’ve put it into a Steam branch called “beta” with the password “shipwreckedbeta”, which is available now. Here are instructions on how to access the beta: http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/articles/2873712World
- Crockodogs. Will hound you at land and sea.
- Ballphin followers and the Ballphin Den.
- Roe. New food item. Stocks the fish farm.
- Cormorants. New sea bird. Source of Roe.
- Tar Slick. Pools of crude oil bubbling on the surface of the water.
- Tar. New resource.
- 3 new variety of tropical fish.
- Rainbow Jellyfish.
- Coral Nubbin. Replant coral after it's mined.
- Ox will produce offspring.
- Galley and Sea Lab . Make your base at sea.
- Sea Yard. Keeps your ship repaired on the water.
- Tar Extractor. Gets Tar from Tar Slick.
- Tar Suit. Temporary protection from wetness.
- Tar patch. A sticky situation.
- Oil Lamp. Quick lightsource for land and sea.
- Fish Farms. Grow food on the water.
- Encrusted Boat.
- Quackering Ram. New craftable for the Quacken Beak.
- Sea wall. Water craftable wall. Blocks waves.
- Tropical Bouillabaisse. New recipe with new tropical fish.
- Caviar. New recipe with Roe
Don’t Starve Together: The Forge
In addition to the singleplayer DLC, we are also announcing that we are working on a series of events for Don’t Starve Together. DST events are limited-time play modes that create a new way to play with the cast of Don’t Starve. They serve as a way to mix up the experience, allowing us to try crazy new things without breaking the core game. Events are free for everyone who owns DST to play and will be coming in November.
With the Ancient Gateway activated our survivors now find themselves trapped in a hostile world of fire and battle. They’ll need to team up to defeat the Battlemaster’s army and his champion, the Grand Forge Boarrior, if they have any hopes of returning home. Here’s what’s in store in Don’t Starve’s first event, The Forge:
- 6-player co-op challenge, where the goal is to try and defeat the Grand Forge Boarrior in an arena. The only way to survive will be to work together.
- New creatures and bosses with their own attack patterns.
- New character traits for all characters, each with their own bonuses during combat.
- New weapons, armor, items, and combat abilities to help you survive the onslaught.
Players who participate in the event will also be eligible to earn event specific skins. For the skin system, we are doing several changes:
- Far more skins will drop for players than ever before (by a factor of 4x or more!)
- There’s a new trader in town! If you get duplicates, you will be able to break them down to scrap and craft them into event items.
- The event features event-time skin drops, including the Warrior Skin Set, putting each character in grizzled gladiator-wear.
- In addition to the chance of receiving them as drops, players will have the option to purchase a single character’s Warrior Skin Set for $2.99, or the entire Warrior Skin Set collection for $12.99.
- The nature of the skins themselves will not change, they are still purely cosmetic and optional. However, purchase of the Warrior Set will help us fund further content and events like this one.
- We hope that with this mechanism, we can both continue creating great free content while also supporting the development team. In addition, this method of funding allows us to provide content to all our players, instead of splitting the player community if we implemented it with a DLC paywall.
This is just the first of many experiments we intend to run, and we would love your feedback! We have many ideas for events, and we would love to know what you would liketo see.
Besides events, we will also continue working on Quality of Life improvements and bug fixes.
And finally, a new challenger has arrived in Don’t Starve Together, and she is coming to all platforms and is available on Steam now!
Armed with her indomitable spirit and trusty mending tape, Winona seems to have been plucked straight off the factory line and dropped into the world of Don’t Starve for something or someone’s unfathomable amusement. There may be more to her arrival than it appears, however, as more than a few eyes will be watching the next move of the newest survivor…
Whew, that’s it! Once again, thank you for your support of our games!
F.A.Q.When is Hamlet coming?
We estimate Q1/Q2 next year, but as always, we’ll keep working until we feel it’s ready!Why not sell DLC for Don’t Starve Together instead of skins?
DST is a multiplayer game, and we decided that we want everyone to be able to play, instead of splitting the community. We hope that in this way, we can continue to develop updates for the game while allowing everyone to enjoy it.When is The Forge being released?
We are aiming to release it this November.Are the events coming to console?
The events are going to launch first on PC, but we are looking into bringing them to other platforms at a later date.