Primal Carnage 2.0 is usually what we refer to as the “recode” – a complete make over of the game from its base structure, gameplay systems and visuals. Every inch of the game has been analyzed and scrutinized to the finest of details. One aspect we haven’t discussed yet is the User Interface and what role it plays in the development of the recode.
Since all areas of the game are being revised, we took a good look at the current UI for Primal Carnage and ultimately came to the conclusion that it wasn’t really working. After some time dissecting its current state our UI Developer – Will, a freelancer from Australia – came up with a list of things missing, or that overall weren’t working:
- As it stood there was no Gamepad support in the menus and inconsistent support during gameplay
- The visuals were stylistically inconsistent – one area of the UI would be raster graphics whereas another would be vector graphics
- The branding overall was inconsistent with multiple versions of the Primal Carnage logo in the game, on the Steam store, and on the web
- There were a lot of visually unappealing static elements
- HUD elements were hard to read and conveyed information poorly. For example the health bars were silhouettes of the character class and they drained/filled as the player’s health went up/down
Read the full article over on the Primal Carnage website: http://primalcarnage.com/website/ui-overhaul/