Protuberanssi Dec 7, 2012 @ 1:01pm
Ideas on fighting hackers and cheaters
I recently ran in rather unfortunate game of Team Fortress 2; hacker popped in (I shall reference the hacker as IT).
IT used Aimbot, constant crits, no spread (I think), unlimited ammo and worst of all: ITs name changed automatically in every few second, taking other players names.
Why is that possible? I thought that there couldn't be two same names.

These following two things could hamper many hackers, cheaters and trolls:

1. No identical names (so that there wouldn't be doppelgangers)
2. Profile name could be changed only after a certain amount of time has passed since the last name change. (Who else needs to change their profile name every other minute than cheaters?)

Does the community have any other ideas that might hamper cheaters without effecting the normal gamers?
Showing 1-15 of 56 comments
< >
Spawn of Totoro Dec 7, 2012 @ 1:22pm 
I recently ran in rather unfortunate game of Team Fortress 2; hacker popped in (I shall reference the hacker as IT).
IT used Aimbot, constant crits, no spread (I think), unlimited ammo and worst of all: ITs name changed automatically in every few second, taking other players names.
Why is that possible? I thought that there couldn't be two same names.

These following two things could hamper many hackers, cheaters and trolls:

1. No identical names (so that there wouldn't be doppelgangers)
2. Profile name could be changed only after a certain amount of time has passed since the last name change. (Who else needs to change their profile name every other minute than cheaters?)

Does the community have any other ideas that might hamper cheaters without effecting the normal gamers?

You aren't supposed to be able to do it in the middle of a game to begin with. That is a hack doing it. If the hack bypasses the current retriction, why would it not bypass what you are suggesting too?

The hack only changes the name in-game. Not their Steam name. Putting a limitation for Steam names like that would be pointless.

Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Dec 7, 2012 @ 1:22pm
Bowser Dec 7, 2012 @ 8:24pm 
And some like ds slay3r onlydid it for trolling and werent aimbotting
Easiest way to shut down hacking, get dedicated servers with enough competent admins to cover every hour of the day. Problem solved.
Last edited by ­­­­­­Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Dec 8, 2012 @ 12:27am
Saionji Sekai Dec 8, 2012 @ 8:41pm 
Best way to deal with a hacker? Crash their system. I haven't learned to do so myself but I have seen people do it from in-game.
Satoru Dec 9, 2012 @ 6:52am 
That's as plausible as hackers 'crashing your system' remotely. They probably just filtered them on the server side so they disconnected. not really 'crashign their system'
Dixie Flatline Dec 11, 2012 @ 12:45pm 
As always the best means of ensuring the most cheat-free environment poissible in online gaming has nothing to do wiuth 'crashing hackers' or invventing new rules/protection code, the tools and systems necessary are already extant, only many server admins seem not to take their responsibility seriously enough, and players oddly continue playing on these servers.

Admins need to be present & utilise admin tools.
Players need to report (and have facility to report) cheaters/problems to the admin team
Players should only play on trusted servers preferably with a group of trusted friends
Allow for VAC to take care of cheaters in loing term, but Admins need to be effective in short & immediate term
Do not give cheaters the satisfaction/attention by continuing to play with them or enter discourse
Tito Shivan Dec 11, 2012 @ 3:09pm 
Originally posted by Moon Pie Shelley Bean:
Admins need to be present & utilise admin tools.
Players need to report (and have facility to report) cheaters/problems to the admin team
Players should only play on trusted servers preferably with a group of trusted friends
Allow for VAC to take care of cheaters in loing term, but Admins need to be effective in short & immediate term
Do not give cheaters the satisfaction/attention by continuing to play with them or enter discourse
The award for Advice of the week goes to Moon Pie Shelley Bean.
And that is how cheating is fought.
Spawn of Totoro Dec 11, 2012 @ 4:52pm 
Originally posted by Tito Santa is coming to town:

If only we could make an unhackable games.
Satoru Dec 11, 2012 @ 7:27pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:

If only we could make an unhackable games.

Probably the only way to do that would be something like Onlive where the client does literally nothing except refresh the screen.Not practical, but really the only way that could work.
Just wait,Time change.. Dec 17, 2012 @ 4:39am 
Only Steam can protect and solved this conflict between two different group of Users. There must an agreement which gameservers allowed to host the Steam bundledgames. Maybe good organize gameservers with trusted, competend administrator.Penalty.without permission by STEAM and CO.because the are destroying image and commerzial marketing. Please read about COPYRIGHT:
Tito Shivan Dec 17, 2012 @ 5:06am 
Originally posted by No Comments..:
Only Steam can protect and solved this conflict between two different group of Users. There must an agreement which gameservers allowed to host the Steam bundledgames. Maybe good organize gameservers with trusted, competend administrator.Penalty.without permission by STEAM and CO.because the are destroying image and commerzial marketing. Please read about COPYRIGHT:
What am i reading??? Please re-elaborate because i don't quite get what you are talking about.
Last edited by Tito Shivan; Dec 17, 2012 @ 5:06am
Anarchisteve Dec 17, 2012 @ 6:17am 
What am i reading??? Please re-elaborate because i don't quite get what you are talking about.

I think what he is suggesting is that you would need permission from Valve to host a server and would only get that permission if you can demonstrate that you are a good server admin (No Comments, please correct me if I am wrong).
Just wait,Time change.. Dec 17, 2012 @ 1:57pm 
Thats right...,you know what I mean and I believe that Steam main responsibility for the consumers..
FTN1971 Dec 17, 2012 @ 6:53pm 
Totally agree whit Moon Pie , this guys needs attention , it's their thopy , they feel likes "evil wons good ones", is all about a brain disorder.For sure everyone should combat them , it can makes games much better.Unfortunatelly beat and ban them works for moments , this kind of person sepnds their lifes just looking ways to show fury and bore other.
Princess Twilight Sparkle Dec 18, 2012 @ 6:20pm 
You realize OP, that there is a letter that is invisible on steam that allows you to copy names in the same server right?... I mean they've fixed most of them, but you can still do it.

Also second of all. He is running the game without steam, so VAC ain't gonna do jack ♥♥♥♥ if he isn't running steam.
Showing 1-15 of 56 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 7, 2012 @ 1:01pm