0m4rWuzH33r Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:50pm
Is it possible to get false VAC-banned?
So I was wanting to play CSS online, but I heard there are alot of hackers their, and I heard that it is possible to be VAC-banned if you are on the same server as a hacker, even if you aren't hacking. Is that really true? Does this apply to other games too?

Also, I heard FRAPS will get you VAC-banned if you use it on a server. Is that true? I have heard a ton of stories on false VAC-bans.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Tito Shivan Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:56pm 
Fraps won't get you VAC Banned. (Half of youtubers would be banned by now)
Playing on a hacked lobby won't get you banned.
Playing with a cheater won't get you banned.
Using cheats will get you banned. Period.

Possible to be falsely VAC Banned? Well the possibility exists, there have been a few cases of wrong bans. But that's not a reason to worry because wrongfully banned people were unbanned (And some even compensated with a L4D copy).

So, Possible? Yes...Likely? Not at all.
Don't believe everything you see in these forums. Cheaters would sell their mothers to get an Unban. That includes blaming stuff like FRAPS and Notepad for their ban.
Last edited by Tito Shivan; Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:57pm
Spawn of Totoro Mar 27, 2013 @ 2:28pm 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
Fraps won't get you VAC Banned. (Half of youtubers should be banned by now)

Fixed.

100% agree now, Tito.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Mar 27, 2013 @ 2:28pm
DonVino Mar 27, 2013 @ 5:18pm 
Fraps is often blamed for bans cause "he used fraps and now he got banned". They might have used fraps,but fraps wasnt the stuff that got them banned. It's like saying "media player got me banned,I listened to music while I played" or "Eating Pizza made me ♥♥♥♥ my pants"
Astori Heichalot Mar 27, 2013 @ 8:48pm 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
Cheaters would sell their mothers to get an Unban.
this ^

and don't cheat
Tito Shivan Mar 28, 2013 @ 4:23am 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
Fixed.

100% agree now, Tito.
Oooh.. icwutyoudidthere... you naughty ;)

Originally posted by DonVino:
Fraps is often blamed for bans cause "he used fraps and now he got banned". They might have used fraps,but fraps wasnt the stuff that got them banned. It's like saying "media player got me banned,I listened to music while I played" or "Eating Pizza made me ♥♥♥♥ my pants"
Another wonderful feature of VAC that messes cheater's little heads is the fact that cheats are delayed. They may have been using a cheat for weeks with no problem, then a random day they open FRAPS (for example) and "OMG IVEBEENBANNED!!" Then they go:
1- I opened FRAPS
2- My account is VAC banned.
3- Correlation=Causation
4- FRAPS BANNED ME!!!! PLZ UNBAN!!! UNFAIR BAN!!!

They can't ponder it was the cheat used weeks ago, since they were using it without problems on that time.
Mizzerabella Mar 30, 2013 @ 8:50pm 
Actually, there was a hacker on the server once, but he was actually spreading client infections around the server making people hack a little bit, the following glitches ("hacks"): Run a little faster on Scout, On Scout Scattergun shot faster, and no reload. Sniper would have some sort of automatic head shot like when you have your crosshair over a foe's head, it will automatically shoot. etc.... But based off that, can you still get accused of hacks and get VAC-Banned? BTW that hacker had a Name Stealer, Speedhax, Aimbot, Wallhack etc...
facedown Mar 31, 2013 @ 4:41pm 
Originally posted by {JP}Phan_:
Actually, there was a hacker on the server once, but he was actually spreading client infections around the server making people hack a little bit, the following glitches ("hacks"): Run a little faster on Scout, On Scout Scattergun shot faster, and no reload. Sniper would have some sort of automatic head shot like when you have your crosshair over a foe's head, it will automatically shoot. etc.... But based off that, can you still get accused of hacks and get VAC-Banned? BTW that hacker had a Name Stealer, Speedhax, Aimbot, Wallhack etc...

Another one believes in the tooth fairy. A hacker can not infect your PC and get you banned. There are servers that have mods so the admin can give you powers but that can not get you vac banned either. Being accused of cheating does not equal a VAC ban. Did you read anything at all. VAC detects cheats. It does not use reports at all. You can not get VAC banned from reports.
schnitzeljaeger Apr 1, 2013 @ 11:45am 
Originally posted by facedown:
Another one believes in the tooth fairy. A hacker can not infect your PC and get you banned.

A real hacker surely could do that if they cared enough to exploit a game.
Spawn of Totoro Apr 1, 2013 @ 11:58am 
Originally posted by schnitzeljaeger:
A real hacker surely could do that if they cared enough to exploit a game.

Not unless the attack your computer directly. All information is filtered by the servers. A hacker can't make program that can go through the server an infect other users.

The cheat in MW3 and 2 only worked because they were not dedicated servers and the hacker was able to force host. You were then directly connected to their system. The damage would still be limited due to how the game was programmed. They could olny change settings and other minor aspects, not send a virus.
schnitzeljaeger Apr 1, 2013 @ 12:18pm 
Not unless the attack your computer directly. All information is filtered by the servers. A hacker can't make program that can go through the server an infect other users.

In that case he still can attack the server directly and force it to do strange things to the connected clients. The likelihood that anyone would attempt this is extremely slim but hey, it's certainly possible :)

I wait for the day when someone uses a game like COD to spread malware around the globe.
Spawn of Totoro Apr 1, 2013 @ 12:32pm 
Originally posted by schnitzeljaeger:
In that case he still can attack the server directly and force it to do strange things to the connected clients. The likelihood that anyone would attempt this is extremely slim but hey, it's certainly possible :)

I wait for the day when someone uses a game like COD to spread malware around the globe.

The server tends to have a lot more security. The client is also not set up to recive files from the gaming server, only information. If it set for files, it is for specific file types. Not the kind that you can infect.

COD is malware. You can't infect something that is already infected. :-P
schnitzeljaeger Apr 1, 2013 @ 1:25pm 
COD is malware. You can't infect something that is already infected. :-P

Haha, true :D
Tazer Apr 5, 2013 @ 9:04am 
Let me point out that, Admin slow-hacking is not impossible, modded servers can make this easy for a "admin" to "hack" directly trough your connection, though most of these "incidents" are just a child who cant face that he cheated himself and try to lie for a unban.

Now for mw2/mw3
I have one actully two friends who are banned cus of "modded" servers, Let me explain how this was possible, (this same reason got myself banned) Now before you say "Thats not possible" please read ALL.
Okay so i have 2 friends who were banned "unfairly" due to hacked servers on mw2/mw3 this however is hardly possible and will likely only happen if you get on a server where the actual host will send you files. (Yes that is possible, not big files like folders but small files who change your games settings including health ammo achivements and such.) So what happend was that my friend joined the server (quick match no actual server choosing) and got thrown into a "hacked lobby" My friend was about to leave, but the actual host left before that was possible.
which activates "Host migration system" where it picks a new host. Thus leaving the next "host" unsafe. Which then leads in a "ban" if the current host "Admin slowhacked" you ofcourse. Since i've tried being the new host on modded servers alot without being banned, Yet sometimes its possible since thats how i got banned from mw2 on my other account. And i know my friends they would not cheat iam 100% sure on that. One was female and spend alot of time in a "clan"
As far as i know the person who "hack" the server can play even if they are vac banned or not.
think the program was called vac chaos or something, which allowed them to play even though they where banned,

However im not trying to get myself unbanned, thats a case i dropped long ago since steam support is naive and dont ever believe that VAC actully cán ban "innocent" players
Silicon Vampire Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:43pm 

Originally posted by Flanix:
Let me point out that, Admin slow-hacking is not impossible, modded servers can make this easy for a "admin" to "hack" directly trough your connection, though most of these "incidents" are just a child who cant face that he cheated himself and try to lie for a unban.

Now for mw2/mw3
I have one actully two friends who are banned cus of "modded" servers, Let me explain how this was possible, (this same reason got myself banned) Now before you say "Thats not possible" please read ALL.
Okay so i have 2 friends who were banned "unfairly" due to hacked servers on mw2/mw3 this however is hardly possible and will likely only happen if you get on a server where the actual host will send you files. (Yes that is possible, not big files like folders but small files who change your games settings including health ammo achivements and such.) So what happend was that my friend joined the server (quick match no actual server choosing) and got thrown into a "hacked lobby" My friend was about to leave, but the actual host left before that was possible.
which activates "Host migration system" where it picks a new host. Thus leaving the next "host" unsafe. Which then leads in a "ban" if the current host "Admin slowhacked" you ofcourse. Since i've tried being the new host on modded servers alot without being banned, Yet sometimes its possible since thats how i got banned from mw2 on my other account. And i know my friends they would not cheat iam 100% sure on that. One was female and spend alot of time in a "clan"
As far as i know the person who "hack" the server can play even if they are vac banned or not.
think the program was called vac chaos or something, which allowed them to play even though they where banned,

However im not trying to get myself unbanned, thats a case i dropped long ago since steam support is naive and dont ever believe that VAC actully cán ban "innocent" players

Your friend isn't telling you the whole story. You do not get banned for joining a hacked lobby, even if the host migrates to you.
Satoru Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:52pm 
Indeeed JOINING modded servers doesn't get you banned. If that wre the case EVERONE would be banned.

HOSTING such lobbies gets you banned, which is what your 'freinds' did. MW2/3 also has no way of sending files to you.
Last edited by Satoru; Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:54pm
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:50pm