This topic has been locked
MerkeR Apr 3, 2014 @ 6:54pm
Vac system with family share?
if i let my brother use my games. share them with my brothers account with the new family share update and he hacks on his account and is using the games hes sharing from my account and gets vac ban. will my account also get vac banned? since the game is shared through my account?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Silicon Vampire Apr 3, 2014 @ 6:59pm 
Yes, it is possible. At the very least, they would revoke your sharing ability.
Cemetery Crepes Apr 3, 2014 @ 7:40pm 
http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?

Your Family Library Sharing privileges may be revoked and your account may also be VAC banned if your library is used by others to conduct cheating or fraud. Additionally, VAC-banned games cannot be shared. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure. And as always, never give your password to anyone.
BOOMY Apr 3, 2014 @ 9:11pm 
Originally posted by Bram Stroker's Fapula:
http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?

...your account may also be VAC banned if your library is used by others to conduct cheating...

Most important part^, yes there's a chance that your account could get VAC banned as well.
AFAIK, while the FAQ just states that is a possibility, I've read around here that people got banned through SFS.

So, to be safe, take it as a "Yes, you'll get banned."
It is vital to note that VAC does not ban people. VAC bans accounts. Therefore if your account, or by proxy, your account sharing to another account, cheats and VAC detects it, then it's likely the result will be a ban. Otherwise cheaters would simply make hordes of dummy accounts and use them to cheat with, then remove them from the share when they got banned and add a different one every time to cheat again in order to 'protect' their main account. It would make family sharing nothing but a haven for cheaters.
Tito Shivan Apr 4, 2014 @ 2:25am 
It's the same wordding that's used on the SSA about VAC bans.
Which - in layman's terms- indeed means you have to assume you WILL get banned if it happens.

That behaviour was changed during the beta. Firstly you only got your sharing rights revoked. But that meant cheaters got a free "get out of jail" card.
-Share account with smurf account.
-Get smurf account VAC banned.
-Keep cheating on the not VAC banned main account

You need to be VERY CAREFUL to choose who you share your library with.
So that's what they mean by "smurf" accounts. I'd seen the term but never understood. I feel a bit silly now.
DynamiteCop! Apr 4, 2014 @ 4:46am 
I've said this since day one, Family Sharing needs an option to exclude VAC secured games from your shared library if wanted. For some people the risk is entirely too large regardless of who the person is and how much you trust them.

They could still get a trojan or other malicious software on their system which could result in a ban, they could leave something running which they didn't realize was still on etc...

This problem could be entirely averted if they just gave us a simple option, it is the only thing inhibiting me from ever sharing my library with anyone.
Tito Shivan Apr 4, 2014 @ 4:51am 
I'm using the term loosely though. In reality, a smurf account is one used by someone of a certain skill level to appear to be a lower rank or skill.
I. E. Having a Dota2 account with a lower MMR than your main to get matched with less skilled players (and usually stomp the match) or having a F2P TF2 account so people think youre a freebie newbie.

Basically is 'faking to be a newb'
DynamiteCop! Apr 4, 2014 @ 4:56am 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
I'm using the term loosely though. In reality, a smurf account is one used by someone of a certain skill level to appear to be a lower rank or skill.
I. E. Having a Dota2 account with a lower MMR than your main to get matched with less skilled players (and usually stomp the match) or having a F2P TF2 account so people think youre a freebie newbie.

Basically is 'faking to be a newb'
There is another serious vulnerability with the sharing program, I talked to the lead Valve employee on the project and he just dusted it under the rug.

If you get banned in a public server for example in a Counter-Strike game; you can just make a new account, share your library with it and rejoin the server with a fresh Steam ID. You could do this indefinetely and if you're a rage cheater you could crumble a community and make a server unplayable with the ability to never actually get banned...

Why on Earth they would not try to fix this somehow is beyond me...

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing/discussions/0/792924412076257902/
Last edited by DynamiteCop!; Apr 4, 2014 @ 4:59am
MerkeR Apr 4, 2014 @ 9:54am 
Thank you very much for all the replies. Ya im not letting my brothers share my games because they love to find cheats and take advantage all the time! Thank You
Good call, it's much safer that way.
ChaosBahamut Apr 4, 2014 @ 2:43pm 
If only you could decide what games you can share instead of having to be able to share your whole library. (minus games incompatible with Family Share of course)
Satoru Apr 4, 2014 @ 3:00pm 
Originally posted by ChaosBahamut:
If only you could decide what games you can share instead of having to be able to share your whole library. (minus games incompatible with Family Share of course)

That would more or less lead to 'renting' your games out to people a-la-carte without penalty
Pewpewmoar Apr 5, 2014 @ 2:09am 
Originally posted by Nya`:
There is another serious vulnerability with the sharing program, I talked to the lead Valve employee on the project and he just dusted it under the rug.

If you get banned in a public server for example in a Counter-Strike game; you can just make a new account, share your library with it and rejoin the server with a fresh Steam ID. You could do this indefinetely and if you're a rage cheater you could crumble a community and make a server unplayable with the ability to never actually get banned...

Why on Earth they would not try to fix this somehow is beyond me...

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing/discussions/0/792924412076257902/

This doesn't work for those VAC banned, only for admin bans.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Apr 3, 2014 @ 6:54pm