supersparky1013 Mar 23 @ 3:46pm
Can somebody else hacking on Black Ops 2 get me VAC banned?
I was playing Black Ops 2 zombies, and when I joined a match it was obvious somebody was hacking, as everybody was getting instant kills and we were getting 99 points every second. I left the match out of fear about VAC and I was wondering if anybody could tell me whether somebody else hacking would affect me, or whether since I have no hacks installed on my file of the game if I'll be fine.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
High Five Mar 23 @ 3:58pm 
Nope, as long as you are not hacking/cheating you are fine, it is generally a good idea to leave a game if a hacker arrives but it will not cause you to get a VAC ban.
supersparky1013 Mar 23 @ 4:16pm 
Ok. I have no intentions of ever cheating, I've spent too much time on many of my games to be permenantly removed from them. Besides, I don't see why hackers think hacking is fun, doesn't take any skill and removes the feeling of success from getting kills, but as long as I'm fine, let them get banned.
Satoru Mar 23 @ 6:47pm 
VAC specifically only bans for cheating

However BO2 has TAC. As per Activisions policy you may be TAC banned for non cheating infractions such as

Boosting
Language violations
Streaming violations (using copyrighted material or such)
Glitching
supersparky1013 Mar 23 @ 7:03pm 
Originally posted by Satoru:
VAC specifically only bans for cheating

However BO2 has TAC. As per Activisions policy you may be TAC banned for non cheating infractions such as

Boosting
Language violations
Streaming violations (using copyrighted material or such)
Glitching

What does TAC stand for and define boosting?
Satoru Mar 23 @ 8:51pm 
TAC is Treyarch Anti Cheat. Treyarch the dev has its own anti-cheat mechanism running. It is independent of VAC.

Boosting is when 2 players on opposing teams conspire to 'boost' the stats of eachother by killing eachother. BO2 has a perk that lets you spawn in a specific spot. By respawning in that spot, the other player can constantly kill you boosting their score and gaining access to higher kill streaks. The closest thing might be 'feeding' in DOTA2 parlance (kinda)
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 23 @ 8:52pm
supersparky1013 Mar 23 @ 9:01pm 
TAC is Treyarch Anti Cheat. Treyarch the dev has its own anti-cheat mechanism running. It is independent of VAC.

Boosting is when 2 players on opposing teams conspire to 'boost' the stats of eachother by killing eachother. BO2 has a perk that lets you spawn in a specific spot. By respawning in that spot, the other player can constantly kill you boosting their score and gaining access to higher kill streaks. The closest thing might be 'feeding' in DOTA2 parlance (kinda)

Ok, but from the description I gave, about seeing somebody was hacking and leaving immediately, I shouldn't recieve a penalty from that, correct?
Satoru Mar 23 @ 9:10pm 
Originally posted by supersparky1013:
Ok, but from the description I gave, about seeing somebody was hacking and leaving immediately, I shouldn't recieve a penalty from that, correct?

Correct. VAC only bans for hosting modded lobbies, which requires you hack the program and files to do so. Joining such a lobby will not trigger a VAC or TAC ban.
supersparky1013 Mar 23 @ 9:36pm 
Originally posted by supersparky1013:

Correct. VAC only bans for hosting modded lobbies, which requires you hack the program and files to do so. Joining such a lobby will not trigger a VAC or TAC ban.

Ok, thanks for your help.
Tulipunahapero Mar 23 @ 11:35pm 
Why would somebody else cheat get you banned? Do you have any idea how ridiculous online gaming would be? One player goes to a server and bans 63 players with him or over 100.
High Five Mar 24 @ 3:48pm 
Originally posted by Tulipunahapero:
Why would somebody else cheat get you banned? Do you have any idea how ridiculous online gaming would be? One player goes to a server and bans 63 players with him or over 100.

Your gettin it wrong, if a player had a hack that could make you teleport and the anti-cheat bans for teleportation hack then the hacker could get everyone banned, that is what the OP was thinking.
Suldok Mar 24 @ 3:59pm 
Originally posted by Godstuffs:
Originally posted by Tulipunahapero:

Your gettin it wrong, if a player had a hack that could make you teleport and the anti-cheat bans for teleportation hack then the hacker could get everyone banned, that is what the OP was thinking.

"The VAC system reliably detects cheats using their cheat signatures. Any third-party modification to a game designed to give one player an advantage over another is classified as a cheat or hack and will trigger a VAC ban. This includes modifications to a game's core executable files and dynamic link libraries."

So technically, if you do not have any cheat files/modifications to the files, then you are fine. Only the person who is hacking will have these files modified/ have cheat files, therefore (hopefully) be VAC banned.
Last edited by Suldok; Mar 24 @ 3:59pm
High Five Mar 24 @ 5:45pm 
Originally posted by Suldok:

"The VAC system reliably detects cheats using their cheat signatures. Any third-party modification to a game designed to give one player an advantage over another is classified as a cheat or hack and will trigger a VAC ban. This includes modifications to a game's core executable files and dynamic link libraries."

So technically, if you do not have any cheat files/modifications to the files, then you are fine. Only the person who is hacking will have these files modified/ have cheat files, therefore (hopefully) be VAC banned.

Oh i did not mean VAC, i meant other anti-cheat software, OP probably does not know how VAC works so i was just stating that other anti-cheats can and have actually triggered from others using hacks but VAC does not, i should have worded my response better sorry :P
Suldok Mar 25 @ 1:13am 
Originally posted by Suldok:

Oh i did not mean VAC, i meant other anti-cheat software, OP probably does not know how VAC works so i was just stating that other anti-cheats can and have actually triggered from others using hacks but VAC does not, i should have worded my response better sorry :P

Oh I see. It is true that each anti-cheat system works in their own way, so sometimes even innocent players get banned.
Mechromancer Apr 24 @ 9:30am 
I just had the same experience (playing Black Ops 1 Zombies). Someone cheated (I was jsut seeing 99/99 ammo on my pistol, I lost no bullets when I fired), I left the game immediately!

So, I don't need to be scared, right? I had the exact same question like the OP :D. Google brought me here.

God damnit, why people can't play normal.
Last edited by Mechromancer; Apr 24 @ 9:33am
Satoru Apr 24 @ 9:35am 
Originally posted by Mechromancer:
I just had the same experience (playing Black Ops 1 Zombies). Someone cheated (I was jsut seeing 99/99 ammo on my pistol, I lost no bullets when I fired), I left the game immediately!

So, I don't need to be scared, right? I had the exact same question like the OP :D. Google brought me here.

God damnit, why people can't play normal.

Correct as long as YOU are not cheating, you will not be banned.

Joining modded lobbies will not get you banned either.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 23 @ 3:46pm