renard the retard Mar 20 @ 7:16am
Question on Family Sharing
If I use Family Sharing to connect my cousin so he can play Garry's Mod, what would happen if he downloaded some sort of hack (like there's a public hack out there that's popular) for a Game Mode and used it on a Secure Server? Would he be VAC banned from Garry's Mod on his account or would he be banned and the same triggered ban transfer to me as well?
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Dark Ace Mar 20 @ 7:19am 
What kind of "Public hack" ?
Read this down the buttomhttp://store.steampowered.com/sharing/?l=english
or just here

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?

Your Family Library Sharing privileges may be revoked and your account may also be VAC banned if your library is used by others to conduct cheating or fraud. Additionally, VAC-banned games cannot be shared. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure. And as always, never give your password to anyone.
renard the retard Mar 20 @ 7:23am 
By "May Be" do they mean "Guaranteed"?
Satoru Mar 20 @ 7:27am 
Originally posted by A Witless Tanooki:

Do you actually want to risk that?

Unless you absolutely trust the person on the other end, and you can physically walk over and take a 9-iron to their skull, don't share.
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 20 @ 7:28am
Dark Ace Mar 20 @ 7:30am 

May be: A chance, a risk, not certain.
Guaranteed: 100%. No mercy. completely sure, completely certain.
renard the retard Mar 20 @ 7:30am 
He literally lives down the street, but he's a good kid. It would be shock and surprise if I found it he got me VAC banned. It's like a trust him, but I just really want to make sure.
Dark Ace Mar 20 @ 7:32am 
He literally lives down the street, but he's a good kid. It would be shock and surprise if I found it he got me VAC banned. It's like a trust him, but I just really want to make sure.

Well then by all means you can share with him. But kids, they sometimes want to do what other people do on the internet. So you better trust him and keep an eye on him.

Oh and do you really know him?
Last edited by Dark Ace; Mar 20 @ 7:32am
renard the retard Mar 20 @ 7:35am 
What do you mean by "Do you really know him?"

Originally posted by Dark Ace:

Well then by all means you can share with him. But kids, they sometimes want to do what other people do on the internet. So you better trust him and keep an eye on him.

Satoru Mar 20 @ 7:47am 

Because if I had a nickel for every person that said "But my friend is trust worthy they would never cheat" and I found a few hundred pages of Source Bans on their account, I'd be typing this from my moon base on Titan shooting my galactic planetary death ray at cheaters homes. BOOM HEADSHOT!
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 20 @ 7:47am
Dark Ace Mar 20 @ 8:01am 

Originally posted by Dark Ace:

Pretty much what Satoru said

Originally posted by Satoru:

Because if I had a nickel for every person that said "But my friend is trust worthy they would never cheat" and I found a few hundred pages of Source Bans on their account, I'd be typing this from my moon base on Titan shooting my galactic planetary death ray at cheaters homes. BOOM HEADSHOT!

Except the death ray thing ;)

It's called Famili Sharing for a reason. I think most people trust their families, maybe not thier siblings as much as thier parents, but you get the idea.
Last edited by Dark Ace; Mar 20 @ 8:02am
I AM SHODAN! Mar 20 @ 8:07am 
Not worth the risk.
...Uhm, dude, you're VAC banned.

I believe you can't use SFS, at least not with this account.

Anyway, as of now there's a zero tolerance policy for shared libraries: if the guy you lend your account to cheats with any game you shared via SFS, both of you get a VAC ban.

I too don't really like SFS for the very problem you're exposing, but that's how it works now. And you should act accordingly.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 20 @ 7:16am