Rotciv2541 Mar 7 @ 5:58am
What actual good is VAC?
Yesterday I ran into a hacker (aimbot) on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. It wasn't on a hosted server, but on the game's regular matchmaking, on Domination. Now adays it isn't that unusual at all running into an aimbotter or wallhacker. They seem to be found every day actually.

But nevertheless I hit up the profile page of the cheater and clicked "Report Violation" (like always do when I encounter hackers) and wrote down game, cheat and time of occurance. Only this time I bothered recording him from spectator's point of view and posted the one and a half minute long clip on youtube. I also included the link of the video - which clearly showed him massacring the enemy team, aimbotting with an RSASS - on the description of report violation.

On his profile it states that he has been banned twice by VAC...

2 VAC bans... What does that even mean? He is still out there, aimbotting shamelessly and proudly.

I haven't even told you the best part yet, he was apparently in a clan which inhabited mosly hackers. There is a whole Community of hackers it seems, they're living shamelessly on the Steam Community, hacking and cheating as much as they like no matter how many times VAC bans them it seems.

He liked and commented the video of him on youtube - "oh look, it's me!". His youtube channel is full of videos of him aimbotting edited together with some dubstep Music. He also links to where he got the hacks, apparently there is a website selling hacks, that's right - it actually exists people who make a business out of producing and selling hacks, marketing them as "VAC proof".

It surprises me that they can even go on like this without being prosecuted (there probably isn't a law against cheating in video games, but their conduct obviously involves editing/manipulating copyrighted software).
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
< >
Satoru Mar 7 @ 7:17am 
VAC bans are on a per-game basis
GermanKSK Hjörleif-dk Mar 7 @ 7:23am 
These cheaters are nevertheless a huge problem and I'm convinced new solutions are needed since the current anti-cheat system is obviously very ineffective.
DonVino Mar 7 @ 7:27am 
feel free to share any 100% proof solution that does not hit innocent people and works instantly
GermanKSK Hjörleif-dk Mar 7 @ 7:30am 
I'm not implying that such could be possible but it's pointless to be in the attitude that "it doesn't get any better than this".
Satoru Mar 7 @ 7:31am 
Originally posted by GermanKSK Hjörleif-dk:
I'm not implying that such could be possible but it's pointless to be in the attitude that "it doesn't get any better than this".

The realtiy is that unless you're willing to give up a lot of control, it will never be practical or possible to deal with cheaters in real time.
If VAC isn't paired with private server admins it isn't going to be an effective solution against cheaters. It is designed to work with server admins/the community, which are in fact the first line of defense.
The implementation of VAC with the inability to kick/ban cheaters locally is extremely irresponsible and unprofessional, and tells much how the devs care about their game.

About the guy who got 2 bans: it means little to nothing, a VAC ban on TF2 and MW2 for example don't affect the ability to join MW3 VAC secured servers.

Why? Well for a couple of reasons, first of all to limit the damage in case of hijacks; second people can change and not cheat anymore.
GermanKSK Hjörleif-dk Mar 7 @ 7:49am 
A suggestion is that Valve hires actual people to investigate and permanently ban guilty accounts. It would cost money but I bet there are many interested in making it happen.

If people can do business out of making cheats, it wouldn't be impossible to make business out of countering that of the former.
Fenix Mar 7 @ 8:28am 
VAC is good, it just needs heavier enforcement. Meaning, they need to hire someone to sit behind the desk all day reviewing complaints/griefs and investigating claims.
the Portaller Mar 7 @ 9:03am 
A suggestion is that Valve hires actual people to investigate and permanently ban guilty accounts. It would cost money but I bet there are many interested in making it happen.
Hundreds, possibly thousands of users get VAC banned each wave. You want Valve to investigate all that? You really hate Half-Life 3, don't you?
GermanKSK Hjörleif-dk Mar 7 @ 10:41am 
Originally posted by the Portaller:
Hundreds, possibly thousands of users get VAC banned each wave. You want Valve to investigate all that? You really hate Half-Life 3, don't you?

I'm not saying that Valve should deal with 100% of the incidents reported everyday as soon as reported. I'm saying that they could do just as Fenix said, hire a guy who sits behind a desk so X hours a day calmly going through atleast some of these. The more times an account gets reported, the higher up on the pile ought the account to end up, thus becoming investigated sooner than an account which has been reported only once.

I don't play Half-Life and don't see how that's relevant here.
(SOGA) SouthernBoy Mar 7 @ 11:52am 
VAC (Valve Anticheat System) is an automatic system and does not rely on reports tho they do assist in futher studies of such actions. As with any anticheat system none repeat none is 100% effective against those who cheat.

I would Like to see those sites selling cheats closed down for good, becuase they are breaking actual laws whether they know it or not.(content violation of such) TOO, really stop theses actions, it would take a change of heart, what I mean is that they would change to a honest and reliable person with the understanding of what is considered right and wrong (some call it morals); until that day we are force to live with such people and eliminated them as soon as we can and slowly reduce there numbers, in which is a very difficult thing to do. Keep the good fight going and do not repeat do not give up, this is all we can do. GL everyone !!!
Last edited by (SOGA) SouthernBoy; Mar 7 @ 3:56pm
the Portaller Mar 7 @ 10:56pm 
Originally posted by the Portaller:
I don't play Half-Life and don't see how that's relevant here.
It was a joke about how slowly HL3 is developing. If you don't play Half-Life, you wouldn't get the joke.
axxo Mar 8 @ 4:52am 
new cheats new vac,,,,
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Mar 9 @ 11:20am 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
I'm convinced new solutions are needed since the current anti-cheat system is obviously very ineffective.
New solutions?
Come play in the old cod 4..... with admins, servers and no cheaters.
You can even choose to play without anti cheat, and still dont play with cheaters.

Black ops too.
Gee Mar 9 @ 9:43pm 
VAC is currentyl a joke for cheaters and i dont need to say what legit players actually ( me included) think about it.

It only costs 3-4€ for cheaters for being able to cheat 4+ weeks with a new "FREE" public cheat.
This 3-4€ is a copy.
For example they invest 100€, which is not that much during a Sale = ~ 30 Copies of CS:GO.
VAC needs atleast 4 weeks to ban 1 Acc with 1 Copy.

So simple maths:

30 copies x 4+ weeks = 120+ weeks = 30 months = 2 1/2 years of cheating without carying about VAC and laugh about Valve.

But i think its okay for VALVE as far as they get their money, otherwise they would have done anything or even stopped it long ago, if you ask me.
But as long as they face the cheats and not the cheaters they wont get the upperhand back.

Its sad but its true.

Last edited by Gee; Mar 9 @ 9:47pm
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 7 @ 5:58am