Wigster600 Jul 28 @ 4:28pm
Surely this isn't flawless...
I've seen quite a few posts about being banned, to which most people retaliate in a form like "You cheated" or "You're a hacker, you deserved it" I mean, what if there was a slight chance which VAC could misinterpret something and wrongly ban someone for it, I know that VAC finds something suspicious and waits a while before it strikes but surely there's been an inicdent at some point where someone has been wrongly banned. No anti cheat system is flawless. :p
Last edited by Wigster600; Jul 28 @ 4:41pm
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
VAC tracks accounts multiple times? I thought that you only needed VAC to "see" the modified core files once to ban.
Wigster600 Jul 28 @ 4:33pm 
I heard it waits for a while before it bans, therefore I presume it has some sort of tracking system to keep watch.
Originally posted by Wigster600:
I heard it waits for a while before it bans, therefore I presume it has some sort of tracking system to keep watch.
That's so cheaters can't test their cheats and see fi they get banned immediately, not because VAC needs to 'see' the modified files more than once.
Wigster600 Jul 28 @ 4:40pm 
I see. (Main post edited)
Last edited by Wigster600; Jul 28 @ 4:41pm
Renxo Jul 28 @ 5:25pm 
I've seen quite a few posts about being banned, to which most people retaliate in a form like "You cheated" or "You're a hacker, you deserved it" I mean, what if there was a slight chance which VAC could misinterpret something and wrongly ban someone for it, I know that VAC finds something suspicious and waits a while before it strikes but surely there's been an inicdent at some point where someone has been wrongly banned. No anti cheat system is flawless. :p

1- If you didn't cheat and you are sure of that, and because you are someone who really cares about his account and virtual security, you've already read the ToS/EULA and know how to contact Steam Support, hence, you don't need to justify yourself in any forum, or at least you'll say "I had a problem with my account, how do I contact support?", you don't make a post claiming that you were VAC banned for no reason.

2- Yes, VAC failed massively in the past and was rolled back and fixed quickly unbanning everybody who was mistakenly banned, and was globally notified to everyone (you can check this even in Wikipedia), and for individual cases, yes, if you are banned by a false positive, and you contact support, they'll check that quickly and unban you, the VAC system is automatic, the check/verification of that asked by users seems "manual" by support.

(Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)
Satoru Jul 28 @ 6:12pm 
False positives are rare. Ergo if a use is VAC banned it is far more likely they were cheating, than part of a false positive wave.

No one is arguing that VAC is 100% perfect

But if a person is VAC banned, the probabllity of them being falsely banned is astronomically low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HKMNKS-9ugY#t=97

Unless of course you're part of a Singapore Anti-Gambling Commission advert
Last edited by Satoru; Jul 28 @ 6:26pm
Bram Stroker's Fapula Jul 28 @ 8:44pm 
Alot of these "I didn't do anything!" posts are from either -

A) People who want to try to get out of their ban - usually teenagers who are infamous for never taking responsibility for their wrongdoing (source: I was a teenager myself once)

B) People who used an achievement unlocker while connected to a VAC server without thinking that would count as a cheat.
Astori Heichalot Jul 28 @ 9:35pm 
I mean, what if there was a slight chance which VAC could misinterpret something and wrongly ban someone for it
if one did got falsely banned,
1. the ban would be removed automatically when the system received an update (no, not vac update, but data update)
2. or send a support ticket, and it will be removed

if they have the time and actually spent an incredible amount of effort in this forum with silly, nonsensical, random, troll or grief excuses, chances are they are rightfully banned
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Jul 28 @ 10:53pm 
Seeing how rare it is for vac to be wrong, and how likely it is for cheaters to be lying scum. I am inclined to believe that anyone that posts a thread saying they didn't cheat actually did cheat.

It's not a matter of flawless or not, it's a matter of probability.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Jul 28 @ 10:54pm
zeroxxx Jul 29 @ 3:37am 
Anything made by human is prone to error, VAC system included.

But the biggest point of VAC is that it doesn't try to approach unknown territory. It brings its own signature database that grows over time as Valve staffs add the definition into it. Based on this signature it captures the data from the Steam client to determine if the matching signature is found. After which, then, a delayed ban will be issued.

Unless Valve staffs key-in wrong signature, VAC won't ban mindlessly with so called preemptive system that many Antivirus have in place - of which it's very prone to false positive.

And mind you, there have been people posting 'VAC isn't flawless' threads. Not sure what you're trying to gain with posting that, whether you want to look intelligent or you just want to belittle VAC. Go search before posting, perhaps?
Mr Unknown Jul 29 @ 3:39am 
Yeah, but how vac really works is via triggers and detectors, meaning that say if a person were to turn on a script which is running in the background, it then interacts with the main game's exe file, plus it could also for other files which are resource files, vac system then can start sensing that game's process is being interacted by a third party script that isn't allowed access, then it triggers what is a big fat ban slapped onto that persons steam account.
Iyerbeth Jul 29 @ 5:50am 
I've read almost every post in this forum for quite some time, and have seen two people unbanned after being directed to Steam support, so it can make mistakes - just very, very rarely. And when it does make a mistake, support has the information necessary to determine so.
Jarl Jul 29 @ 6:36am 
http://www.vacbanned.com/view/statistics : 0.007% of Steam accounts checked were unbanned.

Thats a bloody rare event to get unbanned. Ergo, banned = cheated.
Fulli Jul 29 @ 1:04pm 
It is all most flawless, If you cheat you get banned.
röbêrg Jul 30 @ 5:59am 
Cheat = Ban
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 28 @ 4:28pm