This topic has been locked
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 7:40am
Disconnected by VAC: You cannot play on secure servers
I'm on a fresh Linux install and I just got booted from Wingman due to VAC authentication error.

All the methods for fixing this are understandably for Windows so I'm kinda lost. I tried rebooting and verifying the game and the error persisted, and I'm not entirely sure how I'd repair steam runtime on Linux. I tried running steam-runtime binary with /repair, -repair and repair arguments but none of them seemed to do anything. I also usually use native runtime, but the problem persisted with runtime.

I'm using Linux 4.14.13-1-ARCH kernel with Nvidia's 387.34 drivers with Kernel Mode Setting.

Could the culprit be secure boot? Setting that up on Linux is bit of a nightmare.

Docs survey for hunting the culprit: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeHwJiYnmLVBxUZCg9QIhJF5jb9EQhkLUWZ6Lwui1941mPBJA/viewform?usp=sf_link
Last edited by looz; Jan 19, 2018 @ 10:57am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
pat bateman Jan 19, 2018 @ 7:48am 
I'm using Ubuntu and I only recently got the error as well. It seems like Valve did something that messes up Linux installs or something.
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 7:53am 
Originally posted by Toast:
No, it can't be UEFI. That would not cause a VAC error.
Well there's this tidbit about Secure Boot in the article ( https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2117-ILZV-2837 ):

"If you receive the following error when entering these commands they are already set to default:

The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted.

To change boot settings to default please follow the steps below"

So there might be something related to it causing the issue. Grasphing at straws here.
Last edited by looz; Jan 19, 2018 @ 7:54am
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 8:00am 
I mean I have to disable Secure Boot for Linux since it only works with Windows out of the box.
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 8:04am 
Hmm interesting, if I choose Windows (enabled) I get a Secure Boot error, with Other OS (disabled) it works as usual. And the latter is the option I've always used.

The documentation for making it work with WIndows mode is somewhat outdated and I'm not too keen on taking that route when it isn't even confirmed to be the issue.
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 8:23am 
Did you read the starting post? I'm on Linux not Windows.
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 8:29am 
The two UEFI options for Secure Boot are Windows and Other OS.
Bitsalat Jan 19, 2018 @ 8:47am 
Same probleme here since 2 hours. I'm on 4.14.13-1-ARCH.
Lack of Pies Jan 19, 2018 @ 9:04am 
Also have the same problem - Ubuntu distro.

Does anyone also have problems accessing GOTV to watch the Eleague matches? Am getting kicked back to home page on CS:GO.
Dante Jan 19, 2018 @ 9:29am 
Same issue on Ubuntu 16.04... Booted during a competitive match just now
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 9:36am 
Originally posted by NM_Rich:
Also have the same problem - Ubuntu distro.

Does anyone also have problems accessing GOTV to watch the Eleague matches? Am getting kicked back to home page on CS:GO.
So far GOTV has been rock solid but when I tried to reply with this via steam overlay I've had to kill -9 csgo since the overlay doesn't work for more than a few seconds. :retro_beer:
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 9:37am 
Interesting.

It looks a lot like VAC might be having issues for linux users right now.

Are you all playing CSGO? What happens why you try to join a VAC secured server in a different game?
/r/linux_gaming had some reports of TF2 issues as well.
Dante Jan 19, 2018 @ 9:40am 
Originally posted by looz:
/r/linux_gaming had some reports of TF2 issues as well.
Can you link it? I would appreciate that very much, please.
There you go: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/7rid12/i_suddenly_cant_play_tf2_getting_kicked_with_the/
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 9:54am 
Also https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/7rhqav/an_issue_with_your_computer_is_blocking_the_vac/

I contacted the csgo feedback email, probably not the best place since this seems to be more of a VAC issue than a CSGO issue, but maybe they can redirect it so someone appropriate.
looz Jan 19, 2018 @ 10:02am 
It has taken me 10-15 minutes to get booted.
Just booted now. Ubuntu 17.10, never installed any cheat software.

... and Valve say the ban is permanent and non-negotiable. WTF?!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 19, 2018 @ 7:40am