Dreakon Apr 1 @ 5:10pm
Steam supporting mobile gaming...
I'm sure this will be a little bit of blasphemy... since mobile gaming is too often considered "the future of gaming" according to some casuals and, as such, is too often a thorn in the side of more passioniate PC gamers.

However, I would absolutely love to be able to connect to Steam and play some games/get some achievements/connect with Steam friends in-game... on the go. There are more than a few games currently on Steam that have both a desktop release, as well as an iOS/Android release (just take a look at the newest Humble Bundle[www.humblebundle.com]). Seems like something that could slide pretty comfortably into the existing "Steamplay" functionality with Windows/Mac/Linux. Buy it for Windows, get an iOS and/or Android copy as well.

Am I completely off base? I think an addition like this would be priceless to Steam gamers with smartphones... and couldn't hurt in keeping Valve and Steam relevant in all areas of gaming.
Last edited by Dreakon; Apr 1 @ 5:11pm
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Black Blade Apr 1 @ 5:16pm 
Well on Dev Days Valve did say there were thinking abut Mobile but its something there not going to go into just yet

Even that i agree something like these will be really cool in many ways if it will be done and all.. i am just not really sure how easy it will be to make it so the game can send something out to Steam.. maybe if the app of the game will and it will have a implant for Steam that can really work...
Also i think something like buy the game on Steam get a app can all ready happen (with the help Of humble bundle and there app lets say [And i mean as the Dev can do it now by him self with no help from Valve])
Last edited by Black Blade; Apr 1 @ 5:16pm
[LG] Drake Fang Apr 1 @ 7:56pm 
@Black Blade
I agree.
Tito Shivan Apr 2 @ 3:54am 
Mobile market cake is pretty much sold out already. It's a lot of licensing work for a very little benefits share (steam wise)
Dreakon Apr 2 @ 2:22pm 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
Mobile market cake is pretty much sold out already. It's a lot of licensing work for a very little benefits share (steam wise)
Licensing to what exactly? Mobile developers are already working with Valve as can be seen in the Humble Bundle I posted above. And Steam already has it's official app in iOS and Android app stores.

The groundwork is there.
Tito Shivan Apr 3 @ 12:30am 
Different platforms work under different licenses. Just because Steam sells a game X on PC doesn't imply they can happily start selling it's Android equivalent.

Just like having a game on Steam does not imply that a retail copy can be redeemed on your account.
*LoSt*ReCvIeM*[SVFT] Apr 3 @ 1:01am 
Just the chat whill be nice to have on the smart phone
Dreakon Apr 3 @ 3:26am 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
Different platforms work under different licenses. Just because Steam sells a game X on PC doesn't imply they can happily start selling it's Android equivalent.

Just like having a game on Steam does not imply that a retail copy can be redeemed on your account.
Considering Valve already has a relationship with these developers/publishers, I guess I don't see why this would fall under the category of "a lot of licensing work". Sure, some... but a lot? Considering the prominence of Steamplay games throughout the Steam catalog, one can probably assume this type of conversation (selling X game on Y platform, let's sell it on Z platform as well) happens pretty frequently.

I'd also gather that the situation with retail games is different in the sense that there's absolutely no way to tie Steam keys to a physical product that didn't originally come with them, as well as it's owner. And even the few you can think of (maybe mailing/emailing a UPC with proof of purchase or something) would require a massive manual effort on the part of both the customer and the developer and would probably be pretty exploitable. Digital distribution has proven to make this process easier as companies can keep tabs of purchasing history directly... hence why they can often sell a game independently and "promise" Steam keys later in the cycle.

Originally posted by BFGEcStAsY:
Just the chat whill be nice to have on the smart phone
The existing Steam app can do that, right?
Last edited by Dreakon; Apr 3 @ 3:43am
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 1 @ 5:10pm