nrnoble Sep 6, 2012 @ 5:08pm
Features missing from Steam Discussions
Features missing from Steam Discussions at this time:

* Make Discussions = discussions, not Discussions = Blogs with responses.
* Ability to find posts and threads by user or even your own posts
* Rep system with post counts
* Better editor with preview. Current editor has limited forumatting features.
* Post quote that includes a link to original post;
* Ability to include emoticons.
* Spell check.
* Private Messaging.
* Personal Stickies or favorites.
* Igore user.
* Search Filters
* Foul Language filter.
* Ability to link to individual posts

Hate to point this out, but this list is off the top of my head created over 5 minutes. No doubt I, as well as others, could come up with at least a dozen more basic functions not currently available.
Last edited by nrnoble; Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:15am
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Unwanted House Guest Sep 6, 2012 @ 5:13pm 
All valid points, when/if these features come back I'll be sure to come back and give this +rep
InsertCookiesHere Sep 6, 2012 @ 7:48pm 
Other features missing:
  • No way not to be subscribed to your own threads.
  • No way to subscribe to threads without also agreeing to be spammed with notices every time anyone posts in the thread.
  • No way to find your list of subscribed threads.
  • No GUI for formatting posts, only manual text entry.
  • Forum/Discussions are limited to 548 pixels horizontally for actual thread content.... that is absolutely ridiculous. Phones have more horizontal pixels then the text area of the discussions do.
Last edited by InsertCookiesHere; Sep 6, 2012 @ 7:48pm
[FP] Dr. McKay Sep 6, 2012 @ 8:26pm 
I've wanted Private Messaging on Steam for so long.
Nacimota Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:17pm 
Originally posted by nrnoble:
Make Discussions = discussions, not Discussions = Blogs with responses.
I'm not overly concerned about this.
Ability to find posts and threads by user or even your own posts
This is a must.
Rep system with post counts
Don't care too much about post counts but it would be nice to upvote/downvote individual comments in a thread as per my reponse to the rating system suggestion thread.
Better editor with preview. Current editor has limited forumatting features.
I personally don't mind typing in bbCode myself although it would be nice to have some more tags available, if that's what you're saying.
Post quote that includes a link to original post;
If you mean a link to the OP of the thread itself, that's not really necessary in the current format given that the OP is always at the top of every page. If you mean quotes with links back to individual comments in a thread, the forum already does this.
Ability to include emoticons.
Don't particularly care about this, but I'm leaning towards no.
Spell check.
In my opinion, this is unnecessary feature creep as far as Steam itself is concerned. If you really need it, you can log into the forums using any of the latest web browsers that have spell check.
Private Messaging.
For the forums and community specifically, I can see this being a good thing as long as it's implemented properly.
Personal Stickies or favorites.
Favourites would be nice, but way down on the list of things I think Valve should be working on (with regard to the forums).
Igore user.
Yes please.
Search Filters
Yes, the search needs a lot of improvement.
Foul Language filter.
I personally don't care about this but I can see how some people might think it's important.
Ability to link to individual posts
You can already do this (click the little number in the bottom right corner of a post).
Last edited by Nacimota; Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:17pm
_I_ Sep 6, 2012 @ 10:34pm 
also need a link on thread list to view last unread post for that thread

and symbols under the username to see which posts are new

why did steam try to make their own forum tool instead of keeping vb or phpbb that have been the standard for forums for the last 10+ years with tons of mods and customizations

@nrnoble, sorry to make the envelope light up green for you again
nrnoble Sep 6, 2012 @ 10:36pm 
"Make Discussions = discussions, not Discussions = Blogs with responses."

As currently designed, "Discussions" encourages everyone to start their own threads (blog) because its easier to do and manage for each person, and it puts them at the center. A forum typically encourages discussions on existing threads as a priority before creating new threads. Yes, people can still whatever they want, but if the design funnels people into creating a blog like discussions, then that is what they will do, rather than seek out existing discussions on the same topic.

Last edited by nrnoble; Sep 9, 2012 @ 9:54pm
ExtraCheesyPie Sep 7, 2012 @ 4:31am 
Then
T-Then the Steam Users Forums will be obsolete!

The Steam Forums have all of those already...
D:
Last edited by ExtraCheesyPie; Sep 7, 2012 @ 4:32am
「C❤A」 Pocahawtness Sep 7, 2012 @ 5:05am 
What do you expect in a first draft? Perfection? I am sure Steam will add whistles and bells as time goes by.
nrnoble Sep 7, 2012 @ 9:56am 
Originally posted by (N☆G) Pocahawtness:
What do you expect in a first draft? Perfection? I am sure Steam will add whistles and bells as time goes by.

What your suggesting is that gamers should not comment on missing features; sit down, and say nothing. I am willing to bet you have made suggestions in the past somewhere in your life. There is nothing wrong with doing so. If Steam posted of list of future features, then there would be less of need to comment on missing features.
nrnoble Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:01am 
Originally posted by Nacimota:
You can already do this (click the little number in the bottom right corner of a post).

When I made this list, some features did not exist. It would appear they are working from an Agile development perspective which allows them to add features faster, but often start out with less features than normal.

Now, they have removed the list of formatting commands. I beleive a few are broken such as "list" when creating a topic. I tried to manually using bbcodes, and the system did not create a list, so I created my own bullet list using "*". List works in replies, just not the main topic.
Last edited by nrnoble; Sep 9, 2012 @ 3:11pm
TheCodifier Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:49am 
Originally posted by InsertCookiesHere:
No way not to be subscribed to your own threads.
You are automatically subscribed to your own threads.
Nacimota Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:53am 
Originally posted by TheCodifier:
Originally posted by InsertCookiesHere:
No way not to be subscribed to your own threads.
You are automatically subscribed to your own threads.
That's his point; he's saying that you're automatically subscribed and that you can't unsubscribe.
TheCodifier Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:59am 
Ah right, did not see the "not".
Tuoze Jan 19, 2013 @ 1:58pm 
We need private messages to communicate with offline folks, like my brother in army.
pyrofodder Dec 11, 2013 @ 1:01pm 
you can do that anyway... just open up a chat window like normal and type your messsage. they should get a notficiation when they log back in.
Originally posted by Tuoze:
We need private messages to communicate with offline folks, like my brother in army.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 6, 2012 @ 5:08pm