((WOLVES))MRS.ALPHA WOLFE(HTBAF) Aug 27, 2013 @ 3:10pm
Anyone hoping for a new interface for the 10th year of Steam?
I do. Who else?
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
McStorm Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:50pm 
i'm more than happy with the current interface, you could always use Big picture for a change of interface. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
aiusepsi Aug 27, 2013 @ 6:55pm 
I'm actually sort of expecting it. I have a sort of theory. I'm probably wrong, but there are a handful of things which line up well.

The current Steam UI look is around three years old. It was released in March 2010; the UI before that was released in January 2007, so three-and-a-bit years is not an unreasonable amount of time to overhaul the Steam UI.

Also, there are big changes coming for the Steam client; there are really only two pieces left of the original Steam client as it launched in 2003. Those are the downloading and content system, and the VGUI technology that renders the UI. The days of the old content system are numbered; there are literally a single-digit number of games which haven't been moved to the new content system yet. Once that system is unused, it can be removed entirely, which can and will lead to many changes in the way the client behaves.

I can't help but think it's not a coincidence that it looks like they're going to finish the transition over to the new system around the time of the anniversary.

That leaves the other single remaining piece of technology: VGUI. Every variation of the Steam client UI has been (apart from a little bit of new layout code in 2010) mostly just a skin for the existing VGUI technology. VGUI has also found a use in Valve games, like HL2, TF2, etc. However Valve's most recent games, Dota 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, use Scaleform for their UI, not VGUI. Similarly, Source Filmmaker uses the Qt UI toolkit. This suggests to me that Valve internally considers VGUI to be obsolete, and it won't see any further upgrades.

Other observations: the newer Steam Community pages, like these discussion pages, the new Steam Community profiles, and Big Picture, are have a much more heavy use of blue than the current client. That'd suggest they're going with a new design direction. Also, I can't remember the last time Steam got a really significant new UI feature. Note that things like Steam Community pages, trading cards etc. don't count, as they're just web pages, not Steam UI per se. That suggests to me that the engineering effort that would normally go into Steam client features has been redirected.

Putting that all together, I get the feeling that something new is coming for the Steam client. With the move to the new content system, it's a very good time to dump a lot of baggage and take the opportunity to rethink the interface from the ground up for the first time, and that rethink can be done with all of Steam's platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) in mind, rather than those other platforms being ports of a codebase that was really designed for Windows.

The thing I can't decide is if they'll use a variation on the technology they used for Big Picture, or if they'll use Qt for the next version of the Steam UI. I also think they'll just announce a new UI, not necessarily actually release it, even in beta. Also I might be a crazy person seeing a pattern where there isn't one and nothing at all is happening.
((WOLVES))MRS.ALPHA WOLFE(HTBAF) Aug 27, 2013 @ 7:32pm 
Im working on the dropdown menus now stay here for more
BoomPoppaMeow Aug 27, 2013 @ 7:40pm 
Originally posted by ((WOLVES))MRS.ALPHA WOLFE(MWWP):
http://i.imgur.com/HZT3ith.jpg
Might want to swap that I for a U.
((WOLVES))MRS.ALPHA WOLFE(HTBAF) Aug 27, 2013 @ 7:42pm 
My bad working on it xD. Btw this picture is what i think Valve should do. However if i can find a skin maker on Steam to partner with me and him can make one for you Steam users
((WOLVES))MRS.ALPHA WOLFE(HTBAF) Aug 27, 2013 @ 7:48pm 
Last edited by ((WOLVES))MRS.ALPHA WOLFE(HTBAF); Aug 27, 2013 @ 7:48pm
((WOLVES))MRS.ALPHA WOLFE(HTBAF) Aug 27, 2013 @ 7:52pm 
If someone knows how to make skins add me and me and you can work on a skin like this (If Valve don't make an offical one of this).
I hope valve still changes the intterface
Touching Hair Feb 2 @ 4:48pm 
I would rather they fix and improve Steam as it currently is before making any substantial changes.
Hootsworth Feb 2 @ 6:45pm 
While I'm not quick to shake my walking stick, I really do miss the Olive Green Steam UI that was here when I first started playing Steam games.

I remember when the Onyx Black (current theme..sort of) was an option. It would be nice to have that again.

To my understanding, it's possible to install interface skins and I've even seen some replications of the Olive Green I've come to love, but I couldn't get them to work very well.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 27, 2013 @ 3:10pm