over Aug 5, 2013 @ 8:47am
Steam Trading Card Booster Packs
We've all heard of them, maybe even some of us have gotten them. What are they, where do they come from, how do we get more of them?

Alright, I know there is a FAQ about this, but it really doesn't clarify a whole lot. I've got tons of questions, but only several come to mind right now.

Firstly, I've heard that booster packs are awarded weekly, if someone maintains "eligibility", which apparently means having one game that you've received all drops from, and having logged in at least once in the past week, you can receive a booster pack. I thought this meant that booster packs are dropped weekly. Then, someone posted that steam had confirmed that Booster packs can drop hourly.

Steam apparently posted that a level 10 user (maintaining eligibility) has a %20 chance to receive a booster pack. If they drop hourly that user, statistically, should receive multiple booster packs a day. I've also heard that steam has since increased the drop rate of booster packs.

I've only received one booster pack and it was at exactly 6:00PM central, on a Sunday, which to me is a good "weekly" time.

What do you know about this? What do you think?
Showing 1-15 of 77 comments
< >
over Aug 5, 2013 @ 8:57am 
As an addendum; it's been suggested that you must have used all available card drops to be eligible, not having just gotten all drops for a single game. There is no clerification, you can check your eligibility on a game you've gotten all drops for, and it says "eligible", but then you can click on a game that you haven't gotten all the drops for, and it says "not eligible" which is conflicting.
Spawn of Totoro Aug 5, 2013 @ 8:57am 
The 20% was an increas in the chance of it dropping, not the chance that it will drop. The highest being a 100% increas. That doubles the chance of it falling. It does not mean they have a 100% chance to get one.

1 out of 50 chance turns into a 1 out of 25 chance.

Only a game that you have recived all the drops for, can you get a booster.

From what I have heared, there is a chance of a booster pack dropping somewhere out there when ever someone makes a badge.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Aug 5, 2013 @ 8:58am
Why not Zoidberg? Aug 5, 2013 @ 9:23am 
How can I get a booster pack?
Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack, which is a set of 3 trading cards that may include both basic and foil cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility.

Once eligible, your Steam Level increases your rate of receiving a booster pack drop:
Level 10: +20% increase in your drop rate
Level 20: +40% increase in your drop rate
Level 30: +60% increase in your drop rate
Level 40: +80% increase in your drop rate
Level 50: +100% increase in your drop rate (i.e. the rate has doubled)
Etc.

The Faq's Imply (http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq)

- More badges crafted the more booster packs circulate the community

- You need to be logged into Steam weekly to maintain your eligibility status (so basically the code is Today and Last Login difference in days essentially)

- The ETC. at the end implies a continued growth every 10 levels so Level 100 people have a 200% increase.

The drop rate is (n)% and 200% of (n)%

Essentially the drop rate can be 5% and people just get a small boost.

So the idea is the booster packs are a way of continued circulation of cards, the more purchases of a game the more "potential" cards are circulated. The popularity of creating booster packs will mean more cards are "actually" circulated which maintains the card economy instead of flooding it like items are in TF2 and Dota 2 (you can see how common items are dramatically reduced in cost)
Lorelord Aug 5, 2013 @ 10:18am 
Thanks for the information, but to throw a kink in this...I just received my first booster pack BL2 today and was trying to figure out what I did to get it (a buddy has played as much as me and hasn't got one yet). So basically, it's totally random with some possible bonuses based on your level.
over Aug 5, 2013 @ 10:25am 
Yeah there is that line "Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community". Which seems like a bit of a toss up. I've created a handful of badges, and I don't know if you've seen the trading threads or groups, but badges are being created, literally all the time. Enough people are buying card eligible games daily, that there is at least some card generation, daily, based off that alone.

But that line: "Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community" what does it mean? Every time a badge is crafted, there is a chance for a booster to be dropped? That's bad odds; for every 10 or so cards that get crafted into a badge, someone somewhere has a slim chance of getting another 3 cards, that's not very indefinite.
Pheace Aug 5, 2013 @ 10:39am 
boosters seem to go out in waves after a certain amount is used since I know at least during the summer sale, when boosters were sent out, a lot of people got them at the same time, even across different games.

Other than that, when that happens, it's pure chance I think. If you're eligible, there's a chance of you getting one. Nothing to do with time played or something like that. Just have to be eligible, and then the level impacts your chances of getting one slightly, that's it. Other than that it's pure luck basically.
Cypher Aug 28, 2013 @ 2:03am 
Wait, I have received all the card drops I had for Isaac and Space Pirates and Zombies and it says I'm now eligible for a booster pack. What I want to know is do I have to play the games to receive them or will they just come to me as they please? xd
Last edited by Cypher; Aug 28, 2013 @ 2:03am
sfnhltb Aug 28, 2013 @ 2:22am 
Originally posted by IIIXVIICCXCVII:
But that line: "Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community" what does it mean? Every time a badge is crafted, there is a chance for a booster to be dropped? That's bad odds; for every 10 or so cards that get crafted into a badge, someone somewhere has a slim chance of getting another 3 cards, that's not very indefinite.

Every time a badge is crafted, cards are used up and gone, so an equivalent number of cards in booster packs (presumably) is generated and randomly (well, weighted random) handed out. The check for the amount of cards converted to badges is done each hour.

From other threads the "official word" seemed to be 1) having more steam accounts wouldn't increase the drop rate and 2) there was a accumlating bonus to the drop rate for people that haven't had a booster yet. As far as I can see these two would seem to conflict unless it means this bonus was tracked per user per game,
sfnhltb Aug 28, 2013 @ 2:26am 
Originally posted by Kazeshini:
Wait, I have received all the card drops I had for Isaac and Space Pirates and Zombies and it says I'm now eligible for a booster pack. What I want to know is do I have to play the games to receive them or will they just come to me as they please? xd

You don't have to play the game, you just have to log in to Steam itself from time to time to maintain eligibility for all the games you have got the card drops from. Most of the boosters I have got recently have been for things I haven't played for a couple of weeks - I think this weeks were Terreria, Tropico 4 and Trapped Dead. The first two I think I last played during the Summer Sale, Trapped Dead I played about a week ago.
over Aug 28, 2013 @ 3:44pm 
I wish the statistics for this were made publicly available. So far I've gotten 3 badges, the first two were within eight days of each other, and the last was a while ago.
over Aug 28, 2013 @ 3:45pm 
(not badges, drops)
It would also seem to make sense that more drops would be crafted during and just after big sales.
Nyrexis Sep 15, 2013 @ 1:20pm 
I don't have a single badge from cards. I have been eligible in 3 games for months and am logged in every day and have also not received a booster pack ever. What am I doing wrong?
sara_bear Sep 15, 2013 @ 2:13pm 
Originally posted by Nyrexis:
I don't have a single badge from cards. I have been eligible in 3 games for months and am logged in every day and have also not received a booster pack ever. What am I doing wrong?

Well nothing, but..
1. You Steam level is low. The higher your level the more % chance to get a booster.
2. Badges make you Steam level go up, and you get a higher chance.

You don't have to do anything else and you'll still have a chance, but...
MrPerfectTeeth Sep 15, 2013 @ 4:01pm 
Originally posted by Nyrexis:

I had the same problem, but as soon as I received three card badges I got a booster pack.
кђaos Sep 20, 2013 @ 5:58am 
if anyone has some spare heron cards they'd like to trade for a machariel please let me know.
Showing 1-15 of 77 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50