fluidflux Jul 23, 2013 @ 4:13pm
Booster Pack drops
So I know that increasing your steam level increases your drop rate, but where/when do booster packs drop?

Do they only have a chance of dropping while you're playing a game, or can you get them any time you're online?
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Bob Fizzle Jul 23, 2013 @ 4:15pm 
Provided you've logged in at least once within the past week, any time somebody crafts a game badge, all eligible users are basically entered into a lottery to see who gets a booster pack. You could even get booster packs if you're offline, provided you've met all the criteria to be eligible.
Taklu Jul 23, 2013 @ 5:02pm 
in my opinion only one booster pack shouldn't be given out per badge crafted due to the fact of at least 5 cards are required to craft a badge and well you get 3 cards in a booster pack if they do that then cards will eventually run out not to mention the chances of getting foils would further reduce the card population

what i would think is each game you have a 10% chance of getting a booster pack but to be honest i want to think it's 1% and to repeat the leveling up thing every 10 levels you increase your odds per game by 20% and at level 50 you double it so

level 10 12% chance level 50 20% chance and so on to me starting at 1% makes it a lot harder to get to 100% drop chance but i don't know for sure how it works
Last edited by Taklu; Jul 23, 2013 @ 5:03pm
Bob Fizzle Jul 23, 2013 @ 5:09pm 
Originally posted by Taklu:
in my opinion only one booster pack shouldn't be given out per badge crafted due to the fact of at least 5 cards are required to craft a badge and well you get 3 cards in a booster pack if they do that then cards will eventually run out not to mention the chances of getting foils would further reduce the card population

what i would think is each game you have a 10% chance of getting a booster pack but to be honest i want to think it's 1% and to repeat the leveling up thing every 10 levels you increase your odds per game by 20% and at level 50 you double it so

level 10 12% chance level 50 20% chance and so on to me starting at 1% makes it a lot harder to get to 100% drop chance but i don't know for sure how it works

You have to be careful about how many booster packs are given out. Give out too few, and the supply dries up. Give out too many, and the demand disappears. These trading cards are a way to get users more involved in the community, it seems, but they are more importantly a way for Valve and the game developers to make some extra money. As such, it is in their best interest to keep the supply of cards fairly constant.

Just last night, I was thinking about this, and I calculated that (roughly) 9 cards must be distributed via booster packs for every 10 cards crafted into a badge. Now, this is a rough estimate, and doesn't account for a lot of things such as foils and hoarding, but it seems that, currently, it's almost guaranteed that the cards will dry up.
Reseph Feb 22 @ 6:28pm 
Yes, that would seem to be the case. But what if in the 10 and 9 scenario, the tenth was stored and distributed later. For every 10 cards used 9 are given out in booster packs. While the 10th is stored and released when enough carryover cards accumulate?
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 23, 2013 @ 4:13pm