thedudenfresh Jul 22, 2013 @ 4:49pm
Steam achievements for XP
We can get badges and make purchases to level up...but what about steam achievements? Why can't they be used to boost your Steam level? When I'm playing a game and I get achievements, I feel like I earned them for nothing, they may look rewarding, but they're really not, I mean Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network were a little creative and did something with the achievements and trophies you earned, why can't Steam do the same?

What about you complete all the achievements for a game and you get some XP as a reward or maybe an additional card drop (if the game you're playing has trading cards)?

Give the achievements some purpose, other than raising my self-esteem for earning them or bragging rights.
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
< >
Rere Jul 22, 2013 @ 5:02pm 
That's actually a very neat idea.
Pego Jul 22, 2013 @ 8:37pm 
Yeah something like TrueAcheivment + xp would be awesome !
thedudenfresh Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:24pm 
How many XP do you get anyway for $2 or $3?
T0RHAM Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:26pm 
Obviously none of you know how easy it is to google "steam achievement unlocker"

You idea is flawed.
Erosinnin Jul 23, 2013 @ 1:24pm 
Originally posted by T0RHAM:
Obviously none of you know how easy it is to google "steam achievement unlocker"

You idea is flawed.

this is true untill they manage to block that program and ban people using cheats in MP and SP games achievments will be used for nothing and are worth nothing today because of programs that unlock them with 1 click of the mouse
thedudenfresh Jul 23, 2013 @ 3:10pm 
Originally posted by Erosinnin:
Originally posted by T0RHAM:

You idea is flawed.

this is true untill they manage to block that program and ban people using cheats in MP and SP games achievments will be used for nothing and are worth nothing today because of programs that unlock them with 1 click of the mouse

There's a system that kind of already does that, the Valve Anti-Cheat.
Volkoff Jul 23, 2013 @ 9:05pm 
I'm say no to the idea of achievements giving XP not because I don’t want it (I'm aware of SAM but really I don't care if people cheat it's my achievements that I've earned on MY ACCOUNT) but mostly because it would be too un-Valve of Valve to do something like this, if you look beyond the new things they've added in terms for you as a user, and more of what they've added for themselves. Surely no one is that blind that they can’t see Valve is getting more money with the new steam marketing, it's just an added bonus that people get badges and profile customisations.

Originally posted by thedudenfresh:

Valve Anti-Cheat doesn't directly cover cheating for achievements but rather covers unfair play by which of means is using external programs "Only cheats (modifications designed to give one player an advantage over other players) will trigger a VAC ban." << straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Also the system only takes affect to player connected to a VAC secured server so, yes I know of SAM and yes it's possible to get banned if you're stupid enough to join a VAC secured server and use the tool but otherwise it more than like wont be banned (this does include running a VAC secured game! so basically don't run the game while using the tool), and the VAC system only supports a handful of games.

To anyone saying "ban people using SAM (Steam Achievement Manager) or SAM users are cheater's" it's not in a sense "cheating" in that it gives one play an advantage over the other (unless this Achievement XP is implemented which is highly doubtful). But not many people realise, some players often use SAM to reset there achievements!
Destructor RPH Jul 23, 2013 @ 9:30pm 
I would like that if more games had achievments
JombY Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:12pm 
Jeah... That would be nice...
Erosinnin Jul 27, 2013 @ 12:56pm 
Originally posted by thedudenfresh:
Originally posted by Erosinnin:

VAC only covers valve games and most of them are MP games like counter strike
VAC does not cover 3rd party games like COD since activision use their own anti cheat or none at all
i have yet to see a person banned via VAC for cheating in a SP game

so again untill valve/steam decide to put in harsher penalties on any cheat used on game in the steam game library this wont happen and they already annouced that they wont be doing it in the near future but they are still looking into added new fonctions or rewards for achivements
[C9] Quorthon Jul 27, 2013 @ 2:57pm 
Besides the achievement unlocker:

Originally posted by Steam Trading Cards FAQ:

Do I get Trading Cards for completing achievements in game?

Trading Card drops are currently just tied to playtime within a game, independent of which achievements you are getting. We will definitely look into adding more rules for how cards are dropped in the future, but there are a few problems with in-game achievements that prevented us from using them right now. Many games have achievements that are grindy or un-fun to get, and we want the act of getting game cards to be fun for all users in games. We also don't want to push users to cheat or use achievement-unlockers in games in order to get cards, since that devalues achievements and isn't that fun either. Achievements are still valuable, and having the Achievement Showcase on your community profile is a great way to show off those rare achievements.
Last edited by [C9] Quorthon; Jul 27, 2013 @ 2:57pm
Super4Slash Oct 20, 2013 @ 11:10am 
This is an idea I really wanted to happen, maybe if valve changed the way achievements work at all this might help and achievements would be worth bragging rights again, but hey still better than XBL and PSN
mattcarr147 Jan 10 @ 7:01am 
Have to say as a fairly new user of steam that I'm finding it a bit strange that a steam level essentially reflects more on a user's wallet than how keen/skilful a gamer they are.

I'd like to see achievement XP contribute but that said, solving the problem of cheats isn't an easy one and I certainly can't think of a solution so it's difficult to put forward a solid case for it. It's a pity, though.

On the subject of cheating, I don't find the act of leaving a game running idle in the background in order to get card drops particularly fair either. It makes it possible for someone who's played a game for 50+ hours to be no better off than someone who technically hasn't played it at all.

I understand why it works that way (more money generated), but it's still odd.
Julia Jan 10 @ 7:17am 
Achievement unlockers aren't the only problem. Many games have grindy and unfun achievements, and thus would deter people from buying a game if they knew they couldn't get much XP from it. And then people would swarm games with easy achievements for lots of XP. Valve doesn't make the achievements, the developers do. Any developer could make a game where all your achievements are unlocked simply by moving, for easy XP. Should we suggest Valve determine how hard an achievement is and how much XP it should reward? That's just a lot of time-consuming work. Some achievements are practically impossible to get, requiring you to score #1 in the leaderboards. Do you really want to put a poor game tester through all the work of getting #1 in the leaderboards of a game to determine how hard it is to achieve and how much XP it should reward?
Last edited by Julia; Jan 10 @ 7:21am
Nikusui Jan 10 @ 9:25am 
I rather like the threadstarter idea of getting a card for completing all achievements.
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 22, 2013 @ 4:49pm