Captain-Cook Jul 6, 2013 @ 11:34am
Opinions on steam badges/trading cards
Personally I think the badges are alright but the trading cards will start to go out of hand
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
V-Pixel Jul 6, 2013 @ 11:43am 
Does anyone know what's the percentage of getting a booster pack if you're under level 10?
fireseed Jul 6, 2013 @ 11:51am 
I think it's a neat idea but the booster packs need some tweaking. with a low drop rate there is no actual "trading" just buying on the market. It would also be neat if there was a place on the market where you could put X card up for trade for Y card; and steam would handle it (you could be away or at work)

also;
No pucks given Jul 6, 2013 @ 12:39pm 
absolutely agreed. it would be great to have a trading section for cards, so u could avoid sideprojects. by the card theme... pretty useless imho, just making u more addicted to steam gaming, wich is mb the point
Framer Jul 6, 2013 @ 1:38pm 
Originally posted by V-Pixel:
Does anyone know what's the percentage of getting a booster pack if you're under level 10?

How can I get a booster pack?
Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack, which is a set of 3 trading cards that may include both basic and foil cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility.

Once eligible, your Steam Level increases your rate of receiving a booster pack drop:
Level 10: +20% increase in your drop rate
Level 20: +40% increase in your drop rate
Level 30: +60% increase in your drop rate
Level 40: +80% increase in your drop rate
Level 50: +100% increase in your drop rate (i.e. the rate has doubled)
Etc.
Stain on Freud's couch Jul 6, 2013 @ 1:49pm 
I like it
Mr.Jimbo Jul 6, 2013 @ 2:18pm 
oh cool
Brook-san Jul 6, 2013 @ 2:32pm 
I like it
ArqusZed Jul 6, 2013 @ 2:46pm 
Well, I guess it's a good way to convince players to see more of Steam. For example, the reason I'm posting here, is because I'm trying to get the "Pillar" badge. Also, if you have a game in your list you haven't played yet - and it happens to have badges/trading cards - I guess it's as good an excuse as any to try them out now. I mean, it's kind of like Achievements, but I suppose it's more "interesting".
Balik Jul 6, 2013 @ 2:47pm 
it's nice
Jorgel Jul 6, 2013 @ 4:50pm 
It is pretty nice, but I think it would be better if it was acheivment rather than playing time
phil du jour Jul 6, 2013 @ 5:42pm 
I'd like to see some kind of Steam TCG a la Magic or Legends of Norrath. Give them some use beyond just cosmetic items.
colbatwolf Jul 6, 2013 @ 5:48pm 
I don't care much for the actual cards.
Badges are a bit better/cool, sadly I rarely have them.
Seems the whole effect of it all is similar to the Xbox with their Achievements and the PS3 with Trophies.
Only real purpose for both is just to show off and be all "Hur, I'm a higher level than you."
I love the backgrounds. Though, I wish we could earn them differently.
Last edited by colbatwolf; Jul 6, 2013 @ 5:50pm
[NG]Iced Jul 6, 2013 @ 8:59pm 
it's cool
Nikeisha Jul 6, 2013 @ 11:09pm 
I would much prefer if they somehow tied in the achievement system to the cards and/or badges.

As it stands the achievements are rather pointless. I find it sad that the only way you can attain badges is through sheer luck through booster pack drops (unlikely) or spending money on cards.

To me the badges etc. currently show no real indications of how good a player is, or how dedicated they are, just how big their wallet is. I would like to see achievements play a bigger role in the whole steam process rather than their current lacklustre implementation.

I am one card away from the portal pack, but I just can't bring myself to pay money to complete it. What will it give me? What do I earn? I know that it will give me xp towards my steam level, but really, what is the point when all it does is demonstrate your willingness to blow money on something rather pointless?

When I see someone with "steam level 20" or whatever, I don't think "they must be an awesome player", my first reaction is "flipping heck, how much money have they wasted on trading cards..."

To me, that is wrong.

It would cost me 30p to complete my portal pack, the price of a mars bar. But what will it give me? An emoticon that I will never use?

It's an interesting concept, but fairly poorly executed imo.
InfernoElf Jul 6, 2013 @ 11:35pm 
I'm very much 'meh' on the whole thing really. I'm just going to buy the games I want, and play the games I want.

I mean I'm sure that collecting cards and geting a huge steam level will be fun for some folks, and thats fine, but for just myself I'm really mostly ignoring the whole thing....

....and waiting for the Summer Sale. ^_^
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 6, 2013 @ 11:34am